[MOD 1.1] N.Tech-Chemistry

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 1.1] N.Tech-Chemistry

Post by Natha »

Last edited by Natha on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 96 times in total.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.X] N.Tech-Chemistry

Post by quinor »

You should split water not only to liquid oxygen, but also hydrogen. Then oil cracking should need hydrogen (as it does IRL) instead of water. Also, maybye some consumable hydrogen fuel cells that would produce massive amount of heat energy to power cars, trains and boilers. Maybye also new plastic recipe?

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Natha »

psorek wrote:You should split water not only to liquid oxygen, but also hydrogen. Then oil cracking should need hydrogen (as it does IRL) instead of water. Also, maybye some consumable hydrogen fuel cells that would produce massive amount of heat energy to power cars, trains and boilers. Maybye also new plastic recipe?
Thanks for your suggestions, i'll implement those as soon as possible :)

I've looked in the internet, the recipe for plastic is realistic (synthetic plastic ;)):
Crude oil is splitted into gas, gasoline (naphtha), petroleum and other oils.
Naphtha is important to produce plastic. It is cracked into ethylene (ethene) (C2H4 => Petroleum (the icon of petroleum is a ethylene icon)), propylene (propene) and butylene (butene).
Plastic (styrene or vinyl chloride) is made from ethylene (Factorio's petroleum) and coal (in some cases).

Nagshell
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nagshell »

Hey, this mod is awesome. I was thinking about oil process for long time and I tried to catch what is so bothering in it.

And then I looked at this mod and answer appeared -> dependency on iron and copper plates. And this mod solves it in a brilliant way. Good job Natha!

Could you explain reasoning of naphtha chain? I mean what's target of that chain, as normal oil processing already do that. I just wanted to hear what you think about it.
Edit: It has like ~50% oil efficiency compared to normal oil processing(75%) and advanced (90%)

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Natha »

Nagshell wrote:Hey, this mod is awesome. I was thinking about oil process for long time and I tried to catch what is so bothering in it.

And then I looked at this mod and answer appeared -> dependency on iron and copper plates. And this mod solves it in a brilliant way. Good job Natha!

Could you explain reasoning of naphtha chain? I mean what's target of that chain, as normal oil processing already do that. I just wanted to hear what you think about it.
Edit: It has like ~50% oil efficiency compared to normal oil processing(75%) and advanced (90%)
Thanks for your response! :D

The target of naphtha chain is to produce plastic. In real life plastic is similarly procuded like in Factorio (petroleum (=> in Factorio it's ethylene (C2H4) because if it's icon) and coal), but ethylene is obtained from naphtha. Naphtha (raw gasoline) can be obtained from crude oil.

I'll change the recipe of basic and advanced oil processing, so that they not produce petroleum but naphtha.
I also thinking about a replacement for light oil, but I have to find something appropriate :)

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

Instead of having the sulfur removal be its own recipe, why not have it be part of the basic/advanced oil refining recipes?

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Natha »

CreeperDaReeper wrote:Instead of having the sulfur removal be its own recipe, why not have it be part of the basic/advanced oil refining recipes?
I've to think about it...but so you have too much sulfur if you not need it...

Nagshell
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nagshell »

Found bugs:
Advanced Chemistry does nothing ^^ As battery technology unlocks blue science anyways.
There is no way of producing plastic. You can't produce plastic without naptha cracking, and you can't research cracking without blue science (which needs plastic ^^)
Sulfur chain is awesome tho.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

You can replace "light oil" with diesel fuel and then make diesel-propelled boilers (for energy generation like IRL). https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=9873 there is mod quite much like that though. It'd also need removal of solid fuel.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Is it compatible with bob mods? Its containes something similar with sulfur processing? or your mod need bob mods? If your mod not needed bob mods can you do overwriting for bob recipies to avoid confusion in technology tree and in recipies
- More Chemistry (write your suggestions please! :D)
Add natural gases - methane ethan butane propane - to mod, like in cartmen overhaul in his early versions
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Natha »

aklesey1 wrote:Is it compatible with bob mods? Its containes something similar with sulfur processing? or your mod need bob mods? If your mod not needed bob mods can you do overwriting for bob recipies to avoid confusion in technology tree and in recipies
- More Chemistry (write your suggestions please! :D)
Add natural gases - methane ethan butane propane - to mod, like in cartmen overhaul in his early versions
My mod dont need bobs mod and it's compatible with it (e.g. oxygen and hydrogen are used by both)

In next update there will be a dependency in info.json file, that loads bobplates first if installed => undo bobs overrides

natural gases: good idea, but i dont want add new stuff which is useless...I'll think about it.

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Natha »

hmmm...i thought about liquefied gases (oxygen, hydrogen, ...). I'll make a realistic mod, and i believe it's not realistic if you use very cold liquids to react with other elements/chemical substances. And it's not realistic to procude very cold liquids too. I think I'll keep gases. It's essential more realistic to transport gases in pipes instead of procuding/reacting liquefied gases.
Also you can't throw the fact away, that the most chemical reactions need a high temperature.

But tell me your opinions! :)

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Natha wrote:hmmm...i thought about liquefied gases (oxygen, hydrogen, ...). I'll make a realistic mod, and i believe it's not realistic if you use very cold liquids to react with other elements/chemical substances. And it's not realistic to procude very cold liquids too. I think I'll keep gases. It's essential more realistic to transport gases in pipes instead of producing/reacting liquefied gases.
Also you can't throw the fact away, that the most chemical reactions need a high temperature.

But tell me your opinions! :)
Liquefied gasses could be used as a method of storage, rather than being used for reactions etc. This might not be feasible, but here's my take on it:
  • Production of gasses should yield a large volume of the substance, this would make it fill tanks and pipes very quickly. For balance reasons, the amount of a gas required in crafting would be significantly raised.
  • To remedy this, players would have to ensure that the gasses were cooled to an appropriate temperature to allow storage. Similar to how water has to be kept at a high temperature to work in steam engines.
  • However, to be reactive, the gas would have to be heated to an adequate level.
The cool mechanic that would be involved here is making sure that the temperature of liquids in pipes and tanks does not rise above a certain level.
If it did rise by too much maybe the pipe could explode or something? ;)

Temperature rising would happen naturally over time, to balance out with the outside environment.
You cold go really crazy here - make the temperature rise faster in desert regions :o

How's that for realism? 8-)
Just some ideas!

Nagshell
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nagshell »

matpmag wrote: Liquefied gasses could be used as a method of storage, rather than being used for reactions etc. This might not be feasible, but here's my take on it:
  • Production of gasses should yield a large volume of the substance, this would make it fill tanks and pipes very quickly. For balance reasons, the amount of a gas required in crafting would be significantly raised.
My simplier take that could be interesting also:
That's pretty fun idea, to make current recipes produce/need much more gas, and there could be liquified version (like 100L of gas equals 1L of liquid), but liquid can't be used in recipes, but it'd be much better to make conversion to use storage tanks and for example barrels would work only on liquids.

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Nagshell wrote:
matpmag wrote: Liquefied gasses could be used as a method of storage, rather than being used for reactions etc. This might not be feasible, but here's my take on it:
My simplier take that could be interesting also:
That's pretty fun idea, to make current recipes produce/need much more gas, and there could be liquified version (like 100L of gas equals 1L of liquid), but liquid can't be used in recipes, but it'd be much better to make conversion to use storage tanks and for example barrels would work only on liquids.
That's exactly it!
Another idea could be to prevent gasses from travelling through standard pipes. They would break due to the high pressure of course ;)
More expensive pipes would need to be made to use the gasses so it would be a hassle to transport them. Of course, conversion to liquid first would eliminate this...

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Natha »

many thanks for you, i added your ideas to the ToDo list :)

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Natha wrote:many thanks for you, i added your ideas to the ToDo list :)
WOOT! \(^-^)/ Awesome man! Can't wait :D

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Natha »

matpmag wrote:
I'm sorry, but it may be that you have to wait several days/a few weeks, because that is more than new fluids and recipes :P

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Natha wrote:
matpmag wrote:
I'm sorry, but it may be that you have to wait several days/a few weeks, because that is more than new fluids and recipes :P
Lol I'm sure, I didn't mean right away - i know from experience that development takes time ;)
Take your time, you're doing a great job :)

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Natha »

First version with new content!

Added gas cooler, liquid heater, nitrogen, liquefied gases (oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen).
Amounts of gases in recipes which need/produce gas increased (*10).

Return to “Mods”