Industrial Revolution 2 discussion

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Fuzzician
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Industrial Revolution 2 discussion

Post by Fuzzician »

The idea behind smelting molten metal is really cool (loved how Angel's did it), but for it to be relevant, it has to offer something over the Electric Furnace. Just being faster doesn't cut it, when you have to jump some hoops to get it set up. Washing already offers massive productivity bonuses, so more of that wouldn't help.

I am not sure what would do it. On a side note, does anyone use the other foundries? Ones to make gears etc...?

CF_coae
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CF_coae »

does anyone know how i can automate the uranium fuel cell supply of the fission reactor from spidertron?
I just get the warning that the manager doesn't know which fuel to use if it's only one kind

pyrignis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by pyrignis »

Is it me or have flame-thrower suddenly started damaging walls? was it always the case?

SnelleSjonnie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SnelleSjonnie »

I like the diamond-based miners, but they are not big enough to my taste.

I also enjoy the nostalgia feeling of TA_miners mod and of course how overpowered these miners are. Ideal for direct insertion into trains, or to finish depleting an ore patch.

Currently both those mods are incompatible so I am trying to come up with a good patch set of recipe definitions, which also involve diamonds and more generally resonate with the IR2 technology style and cost philosophy. I think the miners must be very expensive to craft and somehow require diamonds.

Help and suggestions are welcome, if anyone is also interested! See my latest recipe suggestions here.

Stringweasel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:17 pm
I'd definitely use something like that, if only for temporarily "hiding" characters by giving them completely transparent sprites as "armour", which would avoid the need for wild shenanigans involving invisible indestructible cars and having to track and clean them up again under multiple contingencies.
Hello Deadlock! I'm busy putting together an Alt-F4 article about interesting modding hacks by various mod authors, and I remembered reading this interesting sentence some time ago on 92112. Would you like to expand on it - like saying where it's used - so that I can add it to the article? I would love to have you featured as well. You can reply here, DM me on the forums, or message me on Discord at stringweasel 0691. Sorry for highjacking this thread, there's not many places that I can get in contact with you. :)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Stringweasel wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:01 am
Hello Deadlock! I'm busy putting together an Alt-F4 article about interesting modding hacks by various mod authors, and I remembered reading this interesting sentence some time ago on 92112. Would you like to expand on it - like saying where it's used - so that I can add it to the article?
The invisible car trick is used in IR2's "transmat" sequence.

The problem to solve was that players (and their attached character) can be teleported between surfaces, and vehicles can be teleported between surfaces, but characters without an attached player cannot be teleported between surfaces, and during a cutscene the player isn't attached to a character. The sequence I wanted needed the character to be invisible some but not all of the time, and the least troublesome way of achieving it turned out to be making an invisible non-colliding car and putting them inside it and then teleporting that to a "limbo" surface temporarily while the cutscene POV is moving from site to site. There are various other hacky options that don't involve a custom spriteless vehicle but some of them had very nasty side effects (e.g. temporarily teleporting the character to a very distant location on the same surface can play absolute OS-killing havoc with the biter pathfinder if the teleported character happens to be under attack) and it also had to be robust against people disconnecting during the sequence in multiplayer which made destructive cloning too much of a puzzle (you can't teleport a disconnected character to another surface but you can clone the character on another surface and then destroy the original, which is philosophically interesting but turned out to be very annoying to "clean up" if the cutscene sequence was interrupted by a disconnection or interference from some other mod). There are probably better ways of tackling it but like a lot of Factorio modding it's a case of fumbling in the dark until you find something that works.
"If Stalin had a good writeup on programming, would linking that be dangerous?"

Return to “Mods”