[MOD 11.18] Agricultural Mod

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Akhiros
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 11.18] Agricultural Mod

Post by Akhiros »

I'm creating this to learn about modding. So far its features are:
  • Healing trees: Note that the trees heal very slowly (about 1 health a minute); the goal is to be subtle, but ensure that trees get better before long if you're busy maintaining other things.
  • Robot-based tree-farming for wood: Seedlings are grown in greenhouses, then must be planted outside to mature into trees. Construction robots harvest and replant fully grown trees. Note that you'll probably want to keep your farming robots on a separate logistic network to avoid flooding the rest of your base with wood.
  • Multiplayer-compatible: (though not yet PVP)
Screenshot
Download:
agri-mod_0.3.0.zip
Agricultural Mod 0.3.0
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 550 times
agri-mod_0.2.4.zip
Agricultural Mod 0.2.4
(379.53 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Last edited by Akhiros on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 11.18] Agricultural Mod

Post by Degraine »

I know exactly the kind of OCD irritation that drove you to make this mod. Thanks for making it. One small thing though - there's one too many * 60s in the glob.tree_healing_per_tick denominator.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

I like the way damaged trees are detected by using attack_reaction to create an entity and use the ontriggercreatedentity event to add the trees to the table. Very clever :D
Degraine wrote:One small thing though - there's one too many * 60s in the glob.tree_healing_per_tick denominator.
Seems ok to me, its minutes * 60 *60 which results in ticks?

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

Hello,

I just tried this mod, in a pack including a lot of others, and I have to say that in the current state, the only interesting things is the healing on the trees.

For the wood growing, not only does it require tier 2 science, but it also doesn't provide any way to properly automate it, unless I missed something obvious.
When playing with Treefarm, your seeds don't want to go into the farms either.

The trees themselves grow pretty fast, so it's not like it's all bad, but when compared to treefarm mod's way of providing wood, it feels like this mod falls short.
I understand that this is an early version, so I did not come here to wine and complain, but rather to give a hint on something that might make this mod a bit more relevant for people like me that play with a lot of other mods.

A fairly easy step could be to make a soft requirement on the Treefarm mod, and use its api to allow your trees to grow in its farms.
It would not change anything to people not using treefarm, and it would allow the others to automate the growth of your trees.

When I first saw the mod's name, I thought it would be about growing cereals and other things like that, possibly to make healing things, and I would assume it is more or less planned for the future, so I'll just wait for a more complete version instead of writting it off.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

FYI akhiros, you should add a reply about updates so others know something's actually changed, there's no notification when you edit a post, even the OP.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Wow looks like you have been working hard! Looks really cool!

darkshadow1809
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by darkshadow1809 »

Adding it to the modpack:)! That is if you dont mind:p Tell me when you want it taken out ofcourse :)
ShadowsModpackDevelopment

Akhiros
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Akhiros »

slay_mithos wrote:[...] in the current state, the only interesting things is the healing on the trees.
I agree. This mod is under development and nowhere near finished, which is why I've listed it in the WIP forum, not the main one. I'll ask a moderator to move it to the main mod forum once it's far enough along that I feel it warrants version 1.0.0.
slay_mithos wrote:For the wood growing, not only does it require tier 2 science, but it also doesn't provide any way to properly automate it, unless I missed something obvious.
Right now, automation requires construction bots. After researching Construction Robotics, build a roboport with construction bots, use a greenhouse to supply a passive provider chest with seedlings, and make a requester chest for wood. Then any paulownia seedlings you plant within the roboport's range will be automatically harvested and replanted. If you have some already-grown trees within range of the roboport, you may need to use a deconstruction planner to tell the bots to harvest them.

Eventually I want to add an early-game way to automatically harvest/replant crops before you have access to bots... Perhaps some sort of building with inserter-arms tipped with buzz-saws that harvests and replants adjacent crops. However, that'll be a lot of work, and I'm still knee-deep in the guts of crop-growing code for now.
slay_mithos wrote:When playing with Treefarm, your seeds don't want to go into the farms either. [...] A fairly easy step could be to make a soft requirement on the Treefarm mod, and use its api to allow your trees to grow in its farms.
It would not change anything to people not using treefarm, and it would allow the others to automate the growth of your trees.
Perhaps the biggest reason I created this mod was because I wanted a type of treefarm that used bots for harvesting/replanting instead of having trees spontaneously appear/disappear on a field. In any case, the Treefarm mod already has plenty of tree crops that are compatible with it, so I'm not sure why anybody would want to use this mod's trees inside of the treefarm mod... (why not use Treefarm's trees instead?)
slay_mithos wrote:When I first saw the mod's name, I thought it would be about growing cereals and other things like that, possibly to make healing things, and I would assume it is more or less planned for the future, so I'll just wait for a more complete version instead of writting it off.
Again, this mod is nowhere near complete. I do eventually want to add cereals and other things like that. Right now, I'm working on improving crop-growing logic (for things like making growth depend on climate and pollution levels), and adding a production chain for fertilizer.

Thank you for trying out this mod and giving feedback! :)

nerdkusi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nerdkusi »

Graphics look very good, I'll check it out :D

For OCD sake can you please include some way to plant new trees in the world?
I love the looks of factory in a forest but there is no good way of reforestation :D

Return to “Mods”