fishlips13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.12.x] Scalar - Scale your technology - v1.0.2

Post by fishlips13 »

Scalar - Scale your technology

Type: Mod
Name: Scalar
Description: A mod to scale technology costs and times with the option of scaling evolution with aim of extending the overall game time.
License: MIT Licence
Version: 1.0.2
Release: 2015-02-12
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.22
Category: Gameplay
Tags: Technology, science, evolution
Download-Url: https://github.com/fishlips13/Scalar/releases
License
Version history
What it does
How you use it
Questions Quirks Tips
How It Works
Final Thoughts
Last edited by fishlips13 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Scalar - Scale your technology

Post by hoho »

Seems like I'm not the only one who was looking for ways to make research a bit more tough :)

Though I took a different path by requiring more of the lower-tier science packs the more complex the research recipe is. If you are interested in the general concept you can take a look at it here: https://github.com/hohounk/ZTech
I haven't updated my own mod to the new data-updates stuff yet so it might not work too well out-of-box as it needs to be last mod to load.

I hope you don't take this as me trying to hype my own mod but just an alternative feature you might want to add to your own. I doubt that I'd be willing to work too much on my mod anyway.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Nice idea, I always go so fast with research(/build slow), I am running ahead with research.
I have downloaded it and am now playing with it on my old save.

However, I find that it rebuilds every time the game is (auto)saved. I think this may be unnecessary.
Ignore this

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

-- Enable or Disable Feature
ENABLE_TECH_COUNT_SCALING = true
ENABLE_TECH_TIME_SCALING = false
ENABLE_TECH_RECIPE_SCALING = false
ENABLE_EVOLUTION_SCALING = false

-- Scaling Values
TECH_COUNT_SCALE = 4 -- Modifier for how many times a research needs to be completed
TECH_TIME_SCALE = 1 -- Modifier for how long a single research takes

research worked? in by mod
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=7702

by the way I want to praise, I liked fashion, complicates the game and makes it more interesting, by the way there is a proposal to do 2 mod already for recipes.

fishlips13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fishlips13 »

hoho wrote:I hope you don't take this as me trying to hype my own mod but just an alternative feature you might want to add to your own. I doubt that I'd be willing to work too much on my mod anyway.
Not at all. I value your input, esspecially when expressed politely. <3 And indeed that's an interesting idea. The notion of non-linear scaling had crossed my mind (briefly) but I hadn't concidered your approach. It'll go on my list of "interesting things I should investigate more". :P

Ah, that happens if you leave rebuilding on. Now that your game has saved to the new Scalar settings, you can disable "TECH_REBUILD_ON_LOAD" and the changes will persist (and the annoying messages will go away!). That being said, the game should only use that code when loading not when saving. I haven't figured out why myself just yet, but its something I want to resolve. Most peculiar.

by the way I want to praise, I liked fashion, complicates the game and makes it more interesting, by the way there is a proposal to do 2 mod already for recipes.
Oh dear! I hadn't even concidered the possibility of combination with infinite research! My first guess would be something to do with overflowing values. Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that in the next couple of days.

Also, do you have a link to this proposal? I admit I'm curious. :D

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

fishlips13 wrote:
hoho wrote:I hope you don't take this as me trying to hype my own mod but just an alternative feature you might want to add to your own. I doubt that I'd be willing to work too much on my mod anyway.
Not at all. I value your input, esspecially when expressed politely. <3 And indeed that's an interesting idea. The notion of non-linear scaling had crossed my mind (briefly) but I hadn't concidered your approach. It'll go on my list of "interesting things I should investigate more". :P

Ah, that happens if you leave rebuilding on. Now that your game has saved to the new Scalar settings, you can disable "TECH_REBUILD_ON_LOAD" and the changes will persist (and the annoying messages will go away!). That being said, the game should only use that code when loading not when saving. I haven't figured out why myself just yet, but its something I want to resolve. Most peculiar.

Oh dear! I hadn't even concidered the possibility of combination with infinite research! My first guess would be something to do with overflowing values. Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that in the next couple of days.

Also, do you have a link to this proposal? I admit I'm curious. :D
I'll try to test.
just think whether it will be 6 billion pieces explore.

fishlips13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fishlips13 »

Updated to v1.0.1 - Fixed a bug when used with the Infinite Research mod.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Does this mod works with mods like bob's mod?

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

cpy wrote:Does this mod works with mods like bob's mod?
i am testing mod
mod is work in all mods and standart game (global research function)

here photo
Last edited by Airat9000 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

fishlips13 wrote:Updated to v1.0.1 - Fixed a bug when used with the Infinite Research mod.
link in v1.0.0

fishlips13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fishlips13 »

Yes. The mod checks all techs currently active in your game and should increase/decrease all of them by the same factor.
Airat9000 wrote:
fishlips13 wrote:Updated to v1.0.1 - Fixed a bug when used with the Infinite Research mod.
link in v1.0.0
Woops! I had the wrong link from the start. Thank you. It's now been updated to the releases page. You should be able to see old verions now as well.
Last edited by fishlips13 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

fishlips13 wrote:
Yes. The mod checks all techs currently active in your game and should increase all of them by the same amount.
Airat9000 wrote:
link in v1.0.0
Woops! I had the wrong link from the start. Thank you. It's now been updated to the releases page. You should be able to see old verions now as well.
I still have a question.

He will explore the more than 2 billion packets? let's say 6-12 billion

fishlips13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fishlips13 »

Airat9000 wrote:I still have a question.

He will explore the more than 2 billion packets? let's say 6-12 billion
Currently Factorio uses 32-bit integers to handle round numbers (even 64-bit Factorio), and the highest number a 32-bit integer can handle is 2147483647, therefore multiplying numbers that are *really* huge isn't possible. Infinite Research mod fulfils a niche where the player can dump science into a never-ending pool as a reason to keep going when all the main research is done. 2 billion is a nice number very close to this integer cap that, essenetially, gives the player the effect of infinite research.

In short, there's no reason to go higher than 2 billion and there's no way to make it work in-game anyway.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

fishlips13 wrote: there's no way to make it work in-game anyway.
Well, one could make "science pack bundle" made out of 2 billion science packs and use them in research :)

Though that'd require new research labs, I think.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Scalar - Scale your technology - v1.0.1

Post by cpy »

I'm currently testing 10x cost and 5x time settings in game. I will need to balance evolution and nest killing and i'll post my settings here.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

i am game testing in 20x research! good long in research)))

new test in 100x)))

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I use manual scaling of evolution because it would be slower than what i set it, i'm assuming 10x cost + 5x speed would be 50x slower when set to automatic?

fishlips13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fishlips13 »

cpy wrote:I use manual scaling of evolution because it would be slower than what i set it, i'm assuming 10x cost + 5x speed would be 50x slower when set to automatic?
Indeed, automatic would be 50 times. The 2 modifiers for count and time are multiplied, and all 3 evolution factors are reduced by the result.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

fishlips13 wrote:
cpy wrote:I use manual scaling of evolution because it would be slower than what i set it, i'm assuming 10x cost + 5x speed would be 50x slower when set to automatic?
Indeed, automatic would be 50 times. The 2 modifiers for count and time are multiplied, and all 3 evolution factors are reduced by the result.
I had an idea, and can be prescribed in the code of global variables that would let all technologies studied instead of 15, 30, 45, etc. in one variable is valid all the technology to 15 time, it is convenient if you put more than 100x study

filippe999
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by filippe999 »

Does this linearly scale the results of research? for example automation buffs all assembly machines linearly while the research scales geometrically.

Return to “Mods”