[MOD 0.18] KRASTORIO^2

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Krastorio Team
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[MOD 0.18] KRASTORIO^2

Post by Krastorio Team »

I N T R O D U C T I O N

Hi guys, let's talk about our mod! The original Krastorio mod began as a small mod which eventually grew to the size that it is now.
Krastorio was for us (Linver and Krastor) a sort of "playground" where we learned how to make mods. However, after developing our skills we were able to discover a vision of what we wanted Krastorio to be. This vision is somewhat different from what we initially planned and since we lacked experience in mod creation for Factorio a lot of features were not planned initially. This led to the original Krastorio having various problems. Here are just a few of them:
  • Crappy spooky scary code written by Krastor (Yes, Linver fixed a lot, but not all).
  • Little content in the early stages of the game.
  • A huge number of options in the settings.
  • Poor energy balance. Especially after adding the Fusion Reactor.
  • Unnecessary recipes.
  • Colored buildings with the same model.
  • Lack of sprites inside animations.
  • Early models with poor textures and shaders.
  • Two sciences at one time (Flasks and Scientific Data).
  • Cheating buildings.
Unfortunately, it would be impossible to fix all these problems and not break game for existing saves. So we decided to ask our player base what they wanted by taking a vote in our Discord. This helped us decide to create a new mod all together as well as deciding on the name. Finally, after many months of hard work, the mod is ready. K2 was created almost from scratch and we hope you enjoy it!

A B O U T . M O D

Krastorio 2, like it's predecessor, introduces new energy sources, buildings, ores, technologies, turrets, coverings, fuel, ways of producing science, and a major re-balance of many vanilla features. Instead of creating an augmented experience, a total overhaul, or revolutionary new gameplay we wanted to expand upon the vanilla style of the game that we love. To accomplish this we paid special attention to the energy systems and endgame. All of this was accomplished from scratch in order to improve upon the code scturcture and balancing. The mod adds a large number of improvements from Krastorio Legacy such as:
  • All new high resolution animated sprites
  • More than 300 new and unique icons (not re-skinned variations of the same icon)
  • Over 40 brand new buildings
  • Over 100 new technologies
  • New weapons
  • New signals
  • New Resources
  • Combat and fuel mechanics overhaul
  • Radiation
  • Tiles features
  • And much more!
N E W . R E S O U R C E S

Let's take a look at the four new resources!
  • Rare metals: Typically in mods you will see implementation of new advanced resources like titanium, tantalum, platinum. What we have decided to do is add a resource that represent all mid game advanced materials.
  • Imersite: this is a sci-fi, end game resource. It was present in Krastorio Legacy along with Menarite. We've opted to completely remove Menarite to focus usage on Imersite. This material can be converted into different variations such as crystal or an alloy version called Imersium.
  • Mineral water: this is an oil like resource used to create some mid game items such as lithium.
And now we introduce a completely brand new feature:

This is Creep which is generated under biter nests and can be harvested to produce biomass. Biomass is used for military research and to make items like fertilizer or first aid kits. In the early game in order for players to improve military research they must collect creep killing biters bases, later in the game is possible grow it using the bio lab.

Another feature we are proud to introduce is our in-game WiKi:

We hope that other modders will take K2 as example and in-game WiKi will become the standard for all global mods! Also, at one point, Krastor went crazy and deicded to do a combat and fuel overhaul:

Thanks to Linver, you can turn it off in the settings, but it’s definitely worth trying new battles. This is similar to KS Combat by Klonan, but optimized for K2 with some different features. Now, bullets are physical objects that have their own speed and slow down during flight. Also, the different types of ammunition are painted in their own color and have unique features:
  • Yellow bullets have standard velocity and an increased rate of fire.
  • Red bullets have standard velocity and increased damage.
  • Green bullets are depleted uranium bullets. They have standard velocity and deal additional radiation damage.
  • Purple bullets are imersite bullets. These bullets have an increased initial speed and cause additional energy damage.
Another feature is that the range and speed of the bullet depends on their size and the length of the weapon. For example, the fastest bullets are for the sniper rifle, bullets for a rifle are slightly slower and bullets for a pistol are the slowest.
The next unique feature that we want to talk about is a new victory condition.

Now it’s not enough to launch a rocket. You need to create an Intergalactic Transmitter to send the S.O.S. signal to the native star system. Now you have the sense and motivation to develop your base after launching a rocket. New achievements have also been added. Yay!

S C I E N C E

Science packs have been reworked, they are now all tech cards. Tech cards are divided into three tiers of cards and four types of research data. Each tier can only be researched with the right type of laboratory:

(You can see BiusArt lent us the sprites for one of the labs.)

E Q U I P M E N T

As in KL, equipment in K2 is an important part of the mod. Moreover, along with fuel overhaul, equipment for transport is necessary to increase the transport speed. Be careful, all generators require fuel.

S E T T I N G S

We are exhausted from constantly telling people that many aspects of the mod can be customized in the settings. So don't forget to check the before you start playing! Also check out the in-game WiKi where you'll be able to find answers to many of your questions!

E N D . G A M E . B U I L D I N G S

O T H E R

KL buildings remodeling examples:

Examples of new stuff:

R E C O M M E N D E D . M O D S

C O M P A T I B I L I T Y

NOT COMPATIBLE WITH B&A. Why? It is not easy to make compatibility for global mods. We simply don't have the time and energy to do this. If you would liketo do this yourself K2 has many tools for this and has an open license, so you can use all of our resources.
In general K2 should be compatible with many small mods.
And remember, K2 already contains many QOL improvements.
It will be compatible with IR (If DeadLock come back to modding) and SE. Likely.

Compatibile with Resource Spawner Overhaul (RSO)!

D O . Y O U . W A N T . H A V E . A . W I K I . L I K E . K R A S T O R I O 2?
See our dedicated mod: Booktorio

H E L P ?

If you can create good 3D models we would be grateful for your help. You can also offer your ideas if you can implement them....... We would also like to thank BiusArt for allowing us to use the "BiusArt Lab" in K2, thereby it helped a lot and brought the mod release closer! Thanks!
Also you can support us on Patreon.
We will also need help in translating the mod. Now we have native speakers of:
Italian, Russian and French.

W H E N ?

Closed testing is already underway and if all goes well, then the release date is March Friday the 13th. :twisted:

C R E D I T S

We want give special thanks to: Link to the mod: Krastorio 2
Our main team: Krastor and Linver
Our other mods: Krastorio Legacy / Fluid Must Flow
News and support: Discord / Patreon

This mod is part of mods developed by Krastorio Team
Last edited by Krastorio Team on Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:12 am, edited 9 times in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.18] KRASTORIO^2

Post by steinio »

WOW

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

well already deleted my current map to make space for this and then see i'm 4 days early, ohhh noooooooooo

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

This thread aligns with my interests.

Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stimpatch »

Come on, give some more tasty preview stuff, plz!

WANT!

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Really like the art and style. Good job and good luck with your second go at it! :)

Pin-Lui
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pin-Lui »

Something to do for the next weeks yay

juak1610
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by juak1610 »

Hi can I help with translating this amazing mod to Spanish if I don't have programming skills? I would really like to help you guys :D

Solinya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Solinya »

This looks neat, especially the new endgame goal. Even in the 160h IR+Krastorio game I just finished, I rarely needed more than 60% of my four-reactor nuclear plant, so the fusion and antimatter plants always seemed unnecessary. (The portable versions, on the other hand, were very useful for handling the upgraded lasers.) Now there's a reason to build out more power.

One question though, is it going to drain power from any accumulators if there isn't at least 60GW of other power supply? I'm assuming the answer is yes.

Linver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Linver »

Stimpatch wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:02 pm
Come on, give some more tasty preview stuff, plz!

WANT!
As you wish ;)

(the framarate and quality are low because they are gif)

Linver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Linver »

Solinya wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:03 pm
This looks neat, especially the new endgame goal. Even in the 160h IR+Krastorio game I just finished, I rarely needed more than 60% of my four-reactor nuclear plant, so the fusion and antimatter plants always seemed unnecessary. (The portable versions, on the other hand, were very useful for handling the upgraded lasers.) Now there's a reason to build out more power.

One question though, is it going to drain power from any accumulators if there isn't at least 60GW of other power supply? I'm assuming the answer is yes.
You assume right, the problem is that: if in the "IT", the power don't grow for 2 seconds, lose 20% of accumulated power... util will be empty, soo when you start charing it, you can't stop ;)

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

Will there be any way to port Krastorio saves to this, or will it be start from scratch only?

Linver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Linver »

Cribbit wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:36 am
Will there be any way to port Krastorio saves to this, or will it be start from scratch only?
Krastorio Legacy saves are completly incompatible. This new version is not only an improvement, we rewrite all mod from zero, each line, choose what item should be mergable with other mod, what not, the mod structure, sprites have different sizes many new script features (with low ups usages). No, there are too much differences, is not possible, or if one possibly exist, the time required is too much.

kid2407
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kid2407 »

That sounds very interesting, it seems it is time for my first modpack :D

If needed, I can help out with the German translation.

Linver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Linver »

kid2407 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:57 am
That sounds very interesting, it seems it is time for my first modpack :D

If needed, I can help out with the German translation.
Then go here (and thank you):
https://crowdin.com/project/krastorio-2

ylemish
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ylemish »

I have almost a decade's experience as a hobbyist in Blender and related software, I'm happy to lend my skills, pm me.

Krastor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krastor »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:52 pm
Really like the art and style. Good job and good luck with your second go at it! :)
Wow! Thanks! I spent so much time playing with your mods! I should like on this occasion to say thanks for your mods! <3

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Looks good. A couple of words could be said how it compares to B&A mods.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Krastorio Team wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:21 pm
This looks vaguely familiar ;)

Congrats on the revamp.

I started on IR2 but realistically it will be summer/autumn, ideally for Factorio 0.18 stable / 1.0.

Krastor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krastor »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:36 pm
Krastorio Team wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:21 pm
This looks vaguely familiar ;)

Congrats on the revamp.

I started on IR2 but realistically it will be summer/autumn, ideally for Factorio 0.18 stable / 1.0.

Thanx!
Oh, you are absolutely right! This is a typical sai-fi and fantasy thing that is common, but always looks amazing :)

Return to “Mods”