[0.10.1+] Train focused factorio

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Izabyl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.10.1+] Train focused factorio

Post by Izabyl »

I've recently been interested in using a train-based factory for everything, but turned off by the fact that you have to get to steel processing and green science before the first trains. So I made a mod that changes that: trains are available from early game, and the player is, well... "strongly encouraged" to use them as much as possible.

All of the research required for automated trains can now be had for only 20 red science (though in practice you will also need assemblers in order to make locomotives in a reasonable amount of time), from the beginning of the game. In addition, all of the relevant recipes are a little cheaper and no longer require steel.

Transport belts and logistic robots still exist, but they are much worse. The intention is that they can still be used for specific situations that trains are very bad for (belts: very short distance, bots: many different items but low volume), but they are no longer the best for general purpose transit. All belts are five times as expensive to create, and significantly slower. Logistic bots are twice as expensive to create and use five times as much power (roboports are improved to be able to deliver five times as much power, so charging time is unchanged). All of these multipliers are easily adjustable constants in the beginning of data.lua, if you want to play with them.
Attachments
train-focus_0.0.1.zip
(6.41 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.10.1+] Train focused factorio

Post by LordFedora »

What version is this for? 0.10 or 0.11?

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

It still works on 11.10.
And will likely work for forthcoming versions unless devs decide to rename the fields in prototypes.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Awesome, but the values are too crazy.

I would set belt costs to 2 instead of 5.

And why do rails cost crazy much more than before if the player should focus on that? I agree that they are usually too cheap.
I would set rail costs to: 3x iron sticks instead of 10x.

Thanks for the great mod. I adopted it a bit for myself and I'm playing with it now :P

Return to “Mods”