[0.12.x] Mining Drill & Better ore storage - v1.0.3

Topics and discussion about specific mods
n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Mining Drill & Better ore storage - v1.0.3

Post by n9103 »

Actually XyLe, he's mostly suggesting (and I agree to an extent) that you're attempting to make this mod into something very similar to an already existing mod, and that you should use that mod to cover the things about this mod that you don't like.
Considering how easy it is to remove elements of a mod you don't like, I don't see a problem with thinking you should install the other mod and see if that will stem your (rather lengthy and extensive) criticism of this mod.
No offenses meant, merely trying to calibrate the sides of the conversation, with a little bit of my own opinion.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Actually XyLe, he's mostly suggesting (and I agree to an extent) that you're attempting to make this mod into something very similar to an already existing mod, and that you should use that mod to cover the things about this mod that you don't like.
1. Everybody here seems to be so concerned with what i should do... why don't you try and figure out what you should do instead? i think that would be potentially a better idea given that i can handle my own way of playing this game.
Considering how easy it is to remove elements of a mod you don't like, I don't see a problem with thinking you should install the other mod and see if that will stem your (rather lengthy and extensive) criticism of this mod.
2. And i dont see a problem for myself to tweak this mod the way i like, considering how easy it is to edit lua files. And in fact i already did that for myself.

But i'm gonna take my time again to explain why (assuming you'll at least try to understand): I don't need boxing really, i dont care too much for it. I like mining drills a lot though, and i mostly use this mod for that reason. But i don't like my game to be ridiculous otherwise, that's why i just have this mod with slightly different adjustments. And i don't want to install any extra mods that i don't need / like.
No offenses meant, merely trying to calibrate the sides of the conversation, with a little bit of my own opinion.
I also mean no offence, in fact i'm trying to explain things here that i don't need you to understand. My life and my game will not change because of what you will or will not understand, so excuse me if i care very little but i take time to explain myself anyways don't i ?
that will stem your (rather lengthy and extensive) criticism of this mod
There's no need in taking my words as criticism and change the mod the way i'd like it better since i play with my own settings anyway.

I'm just giving my opinion to the author of this mod, because i'm assuming he might be interested, since he took his time into making this mod and sharing it with everybody, that makes providing feedback worthy of my time. But at this point i regret doing it here in this thread instead of private messages system. Like i used to do it with other mods which changed quite significantly afterwards and became much better imo. Because now i'm being misunderstood by random people and kinda have to be bothered with explaining myself to others who don't even have anything to say that would make me interested. I'm honestly bored already, my opinion didn't change, nobody opened my eyes or anything like that, what's the point of all this?.. people are just trying to make an argument where it doesn't have to be made.

Also i'm in a way forced to explain the game to them too and it's not worth my time as well, so at that point the discussion is just becoming a huge waste of time and i'd like to continue speaking with the mod author via p.m. if he's at all interested in my opinion. If not - just thanks a lot for sharing your mod, i'm getting the best of it i can for myself and it's working out really great. I've stopped using other mining drills from other mods simply because they weren't nearly as good as these ones. And it's worth mentioning, i could write my own mod but i wouldn't be able to come up with such good ideas on my own. This is truly remarkable in my opinion.

MrJonathanNZ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MrJonathanNZ »

I've just come back to factorio and have started with a fresh install.
Sadly when I add this mod I get error loading entity type mining drill all the time, any suggestions would be appreciated.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

XyLe wrote:
We should compare that with boxing mod, where it is 10 for anything. 15 seems to be fair, 10 is "OK".
No we should not. There's no reason to compare this mod to any other mod. I'm not even remotely interested in "boxing mod".
It is a reason, because otherwise boxing mod works in that point identical. And the question is then, why you're not interested in that mod. Or why you are not using that? Or, to turn it: for me the interesting thing is, that boxing and ore storage works slightly different. And that they can work on different stages of the game.
Why 20 for copper?
I said "plates", not "copper. what i wrote was intended for the mod author and he understood me (i'm pretty sure), you didn't, but it doesn't matter.
I did understand you quite well. The question is still there. I don't understand the logic behind that.
I think it is fair. If you want to have that, use the boxing mod... :)
I will use what i want to use. And i suggest you do the same if you'd like.
<wondering> seems, that you're not a fan of that idea. :) I can speak only for me, but my opinion is, that both mods (this and boxing) together are more than just the sum.
Mods should make vanilla game better and have good reasoning, "matching also into" other mods is not necessary.
It isn't, but boxing/packing mechanisms is in my eyes something, which should be in the vanilla. For several reasons, for example that the production statistics is still correct if you use such mods, or that boxes don't need to define recipes for every type of content, that you don't need so many new icons for the recipes, or item-graphics. or even items for every possible content.
I see mods also as small experiments: how should Factorio be developed? Which direction to go? I see this boxing clearly as a new direction. I'm just quite curious, which concept of boxing feels better, when playing with it. Therefore both mods should be well balanced. That leads automatically to some kind of harmonization, because both are based on base-mod.
...which is of course enough to handle a basic belt...
Packing boxes is a blue science tech, by that time using basic belts is ridiculous and considering it's throughput is not even worth the time as well as adjusting the mod to work well with basic belts.
I have a good reason for that: why should packing use more energy
- than producing a smart inserter?
- than producing 4 iron plates?
- than creating advanced circuit?
... Makes no sense. Packing is short cause it uses not much energy.
Your calculations are correct. But do you understand that you're gonna need to use 6 fast inserters with 1 machine lvl3
Oh, it is definitely a new challenge, to build the boxing/packing stuff so, that it is working optimal.

And there are two main strategies: connect the packagers directly to some devices - here for example built up to six miners around a packager. Or fill them directly into furnaces. That is also possible for unpacking. Or handle it via belts/bots, like you suggest. But I think there are much more possibilities, I see new gameplay at every point, the possibilities are undiscovered.

I found that part of discovering the possibilities of boxing mod by far most interesting and I think that is also valid for Titan mod, too.
...it's not even beautiful to have a layout like that. Having 2 machines, 3 inserters for each would make a much prettier layout.
Taste.... :roll: you can still built it like so yet, if you don't like symmetrical filling from both sides. :)
See boxing mod.
Again, irrelevant. We want mods to be different so people could use what they like better and have a choice instead of what you're trying to suggest to make the same recipe and same balance for every mod that implies packing stuff.
Please don't mix up "we", with "you". :) and don't impute me to change balance of packing mods. I compare them and suggests changes, which makes them more useful/playable, cause I use them a lot. It is quite logical, that a box, which is destroyed when opened must be much cheaper, than one, which is reusable.

Just, what you are suggesting! ;)
XyLe wrote:... But i don't like my game to be ridiculous otherwise
That is a good point. I see that danger, that boxing/packing can bring, making the game ridiculous / boring. On the other side I had really fun with it... One more reason for me to dig deeper.
that will stem your (rather lengthy and extensive) criticism of this mod
There's no need in taking my words as criticism and change the mod the way i'd like it better since i play with my own settings anyway.
Totally agree.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

MrJonathanNZ wrote:I've just come back to factorio and have started with a fresh install.
Sadly when I add this mod I get error loading entity type mining drill all the time, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Is the base mod turned off?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Cheata
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cheata »

TiTaN,

I had a play with your mod and liked it so much i decided to tweak it a little to suit my tastes.
I decided to post my changes here in case anyone is interested in using them
  • added config.lua file to allow easy turn on/off of features
  • enabled the copper coil stuff
  • added auto generation script for packing ores.
    • Basically it parses the data.raw at runtime looking for "basic-ores" and creates a pack and unpack recipe for each one it finds that doesn't already have a recipe
    • Unfortunately i didn't see a way to generate the localization data for these recipes :( so in game the recipe names look a bit funky
    • This should add basic support for mods which add new ores (such as Dytech)
    • Tested working with Dytech v1.1.3
I realize you probably have plans to implement some of this stuff already so if you want to use any of the changes iv made please feel free, or just ignore it all :)

This is NOT and official release. It is a modified version of the TiTaN's Original mod use at your own risk.
TiTaN_1.0.3.zip
This is NOT and official release. It is a modified version of the TiTaN's Original mod use at your own risk
(105.23 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
This is NOT and official release. It is a modified version of the TiTaN's Original mod use at your own risk.

If your looking for the official release please see the first post on this thread

by default iv turned a lot of stuff off and left the dynamic ore packing recipes turned on so please check the config.lua before using

Jibberish625
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jibberish625 »

when I try to start factorio with the mod it always comes up with this Error in assingID, technology with name 'miner-2' does not exist
What do I do?

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

I can confirm that the mod works with 0.12.20 with no need to update.

cullyn
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Mining Drill & Better ore storage - v1.0.3

Post by cullyn »

So i got my local copy working in 0.13 it didn't take that long. here are the changes required.

Change "basic-mining-drill" to "electric-mining drill" used find and replace in data.lua there were a few stray basic-mining-drills in other files so they had to be changed also.

Removed requires "defines" from control.lua it is now loaded by default.

I may have missed something but just make a backup before you do any editing.
RSO LetsPlay Playlist

Return to “Mods”