[0.10.1+] Hydrogen power

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Izabyl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.10.1+] Hydrogen power

Post by Izabyl »

I was annoyed with the idea that you could eventually run out of burnable fuel for vehicles, even though you have infinite solar power. So, I made a mod that allows infinite generation of a burnable fuel.

The mod adds hydrogen fuel, crafted in chemical plants from just water. The result is a solid (for convenience), and can be used for energy storage or to fuel trains/whatever for forever. Note that this is not intended to be a source of power, just a way to store/transform it. Therefore, the recipe takes a very lone time, calculated to make sure the energy output is not higher than the input, even with modules. Also note that hydrogen fuel has a stack size of 1000, for a total of 5GJ/stack compared to 1.25GJ/Stack for solid fuel. This is meant to extend the maximum theoretical range of vehicles, though actually manufacturing multiple full stacks of hydrogen fuel will take massive amounts of energy.
Attachments
hydrogen-fuel_0.0.1.zip
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 496 times

dopefish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.10.1+] Hydrogen power

Post by dopefish »

infinite generation of a burnable fuel.
Already exists in the form of oil -> solid fuel, seeing as oil wells never truly run out.

Still, being able to turn sunlight (and other power sources through mods, like Wind) into some kind of burnable/solid fuel is a great idea. I'll definitely check it out.

ondrej008
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ondrej008 »

Someone please mind updating this mod? It just seems awesome.

Twisted
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Twisted »

Works like a charm on 0.11.19.
Could use a simple researchable tech to make it more polished but works as is.

Scoutter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Scoutter »

dopefish wrote:
infinite generation of a burnable fuel.
Already exists in the form of oil -> solid fuel, seeing as oil wells never truly run out.

Still, being able to turn sunlight (and other power sources through mods, like Wind) into some kind of burnable/solid fuel is a great idea. I'll definitely check it out.
I believe on late game you never will have enough oil wells to support a giant factory if you are "blocking" the capacities with minorities like making fuel.

I like the idea in general, cause that way you can reduce polution theoretical a lot more.

Udav
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Udav »

Production: 5MJ/120sec = 41.7 kW.
Energy Req: 210 kW (Chem plant consumption) / 50% (Boiler efficiency) = 420 kW. (82 kW with 80% Efficiency modules).
Conclusion: The process can not maintain itself.

DisK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DisK »

Conclusion: The process can not maintain itself.
That's the point

Return to “Mods”