Topics and discussion about specific mods
jgb
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Post by jgb »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:36 am
Yes, just like Angel's mods, which use the exact same licence, have been "lost" since he "abandoned" them this fall ? /sarcasm
Key difference being that Angel has a team in place to take over, no? AFAIK no one has stepped forward to maintain this mod after Deadlock steps down.

Astrella
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Astrella »

jgb wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:20 pm

Key difference being that Angel has a team in place to take over, no? AFAIK no one has stepped forward to maintain this mod after Deadlock steps down.
I mean, it's more that Deadlock themselves hasn't given the okay for it. It's their intellectual property to modify, as long as they don't give an okay no-one can or should.

AlexGreen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AlexGreen »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:19 pm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version: 1.0.12
Date: 05. 01. 2020
Fixes:
- Fixed charged high capacity battery "burnt result".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All good things must come to an end, mediocre things too. I will not be updating the mod any further - it will not be ported to Factorio 0.18 by me. I'd like to thank the players who supported me and the mod while it lasted.
Is there someone who is going to take ownership of the mod to continue its support and possible further development?

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

Unless the license is going to be changed from what is stated on the first posting here, making changes is not allowed and explicitly forbidden. So taking over and making changes, required or not to keep it working, are forbidden.

Esterni
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Esterni »

Judging from the way Deadlock talks and responds to people (and with all due respect to the great work that into this mod), the maintenance and upkeep was taking a personal toll. His outlook on coding seems to be set in some very hardened concrete. Lots comments and assumptions about why something wont work/cant be fixed. Then when corrected, its a negative response. Just looking at Bilka's comment and Deadlocks response with the subsequent update to the mod...its quite passive aggressive and specifically directed towards that comment.

I hope he sees the support of the community and understands that nobody is intentionally looking for errors in the mod. There's no such thing as perfect code; there will always be conflicts with other mods and when someone is unhappy, you don't have to engage them...

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Esterni wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:41 am
Judging from the way Deadlock talks and responds to people (and with all due respect to the great work that into this mod), the maintenance and upkeep was taking a personal toll. His outlook on coding seems to be set in some very hardened concrete. Lots comments and assumptions about why something wont work/cant be fixed. Then when corrected, its a negative response. Just looking at Bilka's comment and Deadlocks response with the subsequent update to the mod...its quite passive aggressive and specifically directed towards that comment.

I hope he sees the support of the community and understands that nobody is intentionally looking for errors in the mod. There's no such thing as perfect code; there will always be conflicts with other mods and when someone is unhappy, you don't have to engage them...
I think it's more his views of copyright are concrete and everything else is a direct response to the absolute amount of shit that got thrown his way for wanting the work he put into the mod to be on his terms.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Stimpatch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stimpatch »

ZombieMooose wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:10 am
I think it's more his views of copyright are concrete and everything else is a direct response to the absolute amount of shit that got thrown his way for wanting the work he put into the mod to be on his terms.
the loudest ppl not prepresenting the majority is a common problem, to quote a famous kanguru: "The good thing about the internet is: Anyone can use it. The bad thing is: Everyone does"

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

As a reminder, some quotes from the relevant discussions on the mod portal :
Deadlock989 wrote: [...]
You don't need my permission if you aren't monetising your streaming. I'm very happy for you to stream it if that's the case.
[...]
----

My position is that if you are not personally getting any income from using my mod in a Twitch stream or a Youtube showcase or whatever, then I'm more than happy for you to stream it.

Adverts inserted by the company hosting the stream are something else entirely, as long as that revenue isn't shared with the person making the stream. I don't want non-professional streamers to worry about adverts they have no control over. But taking a cut from that advertising revenue is something else entirely.

If making money from streaming becomes an option later, then I would prefer you not to use the mod from then on.

I'm going to clarify/simplify the license soon because it's clearly causing confusion. I don't have any legal training, surprisingly.

----
Not interested in opinions or "strong suggestions" on this topic to be honest. It's just drama that's distracting me from improving the mod.

The next release will switch the license to CC BY-NC-ND 4.0, exactly the same as Angel's mods and Pyanodon's mods. As far as I can tell - I'm no lawyer - it has exactly the same restrictions as the current license that I ham-fistedly tried to write myself in everyday English: still non-commercial, still no stealing, still no passing it off as your own work.
Deadlock989 wrote: The license prohibits commercial uses of the mod. Same as Bob's, same as Py's, same as Angel's.

How people interpret that license and respect my wishes is up to them.

No, of course I'm not going to sue and harrass people. I've been unbelievably harrassed over the last 48 hours, why would I subject someone else to that.
License switches from custom to CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.
Deadlock989 wrote: [...]
You can see the license by clicking on the main Information tab. How you interpret "non-commercial use" is your business. I've said, multiple times now, that I've got no interest in litigation. If people want to go against my wishes and break the terms of the license, that's their conscience.

Locking this thread because I'll be honest, getting pretty sick of this shit.
And, hopefully, a hint of things to come :
Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:33 pm
Note to other modders
When Factorio 0.18 is released, the sprites, icons and sounds in IR will be moved into a separate mod, so that the code can be updated without having to upload/download all 120Mb.

This will break any existing sprite/sound paths if you have referenced them directly.
Why ? See this Angel's quote for instance :
Arch666Angel wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:25 pm
My friend you are neither allowed nor asked for permission to use my graphic assests, I believe that it is the same with Pyanodons sets. Please change that

I made a thread with free to use graphics:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40923
(I swear I've seen Angel specifically being worried about his art assets much more than code, but my search powers are failing me... :? )
And this Deadlock's quote :
Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:50 pm
[Industrial Revolution] won't be GPL. But I'm far more exercised about people lifting the graphics than the code. I would be highly likely to give permission to someone who asked nicely to use the sign placement code. TheStaplergun helped me get started with guis so they should be credited as well.
[...]
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Upon request of Deadlock, this topic has been locked.

Return to “Mods”