[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
tiriscef
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Deadlock's Industrial Revolution (WIP)

Post by tiriscef »

The gif looks a bit like as if the inserter north of the tier 1 machine does the hammering. :)

sidelia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sidelia »

Oh man I am really loving the style you've got going on here. Really looking forward to playing with these!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

I had fun with the inserter-legged copper burner miner many weeks ago. It'll be easy to adapt it for the electric version, I thought. Then I hit the fluid boxes and the fluid patches and the goddamned tiny windows. You don't know what I went through. There aren't words. Never mind acid, these miners are fueled by tears.

miners.png
miners.png (1 MiB) Viewed 6121 times
Animated gif here, too heavy a download for forum: https://imgur.com/tuHkCYY

Shenpen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shenpen »

Amazing design!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Since I had all the bits knocking around, decided to add a 7x7 endgame drill. Diamonds and chrome required.

These big drills use less VRAM (but maybe more CPU time) than the 3x3 vanilla drills (maybe about the same for the 7x7 dude) because they are made of between 10 and 14 layers of moving and non-moving bits, so you don't need 64 frames for each direction of drill.

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

What's the AOE?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Mernom wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:19 pm
What's the AOE?
Currently, tier 1 is sized 3x3 and covers 5x5, tier 2 is sized 5x5 and covers 9x9, tier 3 is sized 7x7 and covers 13x13. These aren't necessarily final numbers. They all mine faster than their vanilla counterparts, and their output speeds (before productivity) are exact fractions of belt speeds, but they are hugely more expensive to make.

Comparison (vanilla drills won't be available):

miners.png
miners.png (2.15 MiB) Viewed 5955 times

Aquaholic27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aquaholic27 »

I love large structures in mods, but sadly they're almost always only used once or twice, as monuments or things like rocket silos. The 7x7 drill looks amazing, and considering that it'll be used a lot in late-game mining outposts means that players will actually be able to see it in use! Hype for this mod never stops.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Aquaholic27 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:16 am
I love large structures in mods, but sadly they're almost always only used once or twice, as monuments or things like rocket silos. The 7x7 drill looks amazing, and considering that it'll be used a lot in late-game mining outposts means that players will actually be able to see it in use! Hype for this mod never stops.
It is true. I'd be very enthusiastic to see a trade-off between the drills so that the top two or three tiers were choices, not a linear progression. Like Operta's train rebalance: fast, high capacity, balanced, pick one. :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:01 am
Since I had all the bits knocking around, decided to add a 7x7 endgame drill. Diamonds and chrome required.

These big drills use less VRAM (but maybe more CPU time) than the 3x3 vanilla drills (maybe about the same for the 7x7 dude) because they are made of between 10 and 14 layers of moving and non-moving bits, so you don't need 64 frames for each direction of drill.

While nice and shiny this looks like it's running in place not getting anything done. The operation is too clean.

I think you need to add some dust to the smoke layer (so it can be turned off when turning off smoke in the GUI). Also when the drill pulls up I would have it spill some earth and/or rocks out of the hole. For fluid using drilling splashing some fluid around might look good too.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

This looks beautiful. Keeping an eye on it!

A_Fall3n_Angel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by A_Fall3n_Angel »

I love those drills, they're amazing looking!

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

Well, Deadlock, on our server network, we don't like to use "big" mods that do a lot of game changing, but your artwork is so good... we'll definitely be taking a look at it, at the very least. I implore you to not change too much in the vanilla game, but rather to make this something that extends the existing recipe and process landscape. I look forward to seeing what this becomes.

Truly fantastic artwork, I think. Bravo.

Aquaholic27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aquaholic27 »

Adamo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:56 pm
Well, Deadlock, on our server network, we don't like to use "big" mods that do a lot of game changing, but your artwork is so good... we'll definitely be taking a look at it, at the very least. I implore you to not change too much in the vanilla game, but rather to make this something that extends the existing recipe and process landscape. I look forward to seeing what this becomes.

From the previous posts, I believe that it does actually change the early and mid game quite a bit, but keeps the same... spirit? I think that’s the right word? Of vanilla. So, not like Angel+Bob where it’s a completely different style of game, but more like if you took the early and mid game and stretched it out a bit, and added a bunch of new fun machines and logistical problems to solve. As much as I love AngelBobs, it does feel like a different game at times, and the challenges are different.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Aquaholic27 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:44 am
From the previous posts, I believe that it does actually change the early and mid game quite a bit, but keeps the same... spirit? I think that’s the right word? Of vanilla. So, not like Angel+Bob where it’s a completely different style of game, but more like if you took the early and mid game and stretched it out a bit, and added a bunch of new fun machines and logistical problems to solve. As much as I love AngelBobs, it does feel like a different game at times, and the challenges are different.
This is about right. There's considerably more stretching than "a bit", but to me at least it still feels like Factorio, even if there's a lot more bronze pipework, monocles and dubious uses of lasers involved.

It won't please everyone. Some will find it too grindy, others will complain it isn't deep enough. And to be honest, I'm fine with that. It's the mod I always wanted to play. If it brings pleasure to anyone else that's a bonus.

Graphics work is "finished" (meaning all the planned assets have a version which isn't terrible even if I'm not 100% happy with all of them) and I'm doing a last round of balancing, playthroughs and polishing, so I'm hoping to put it out there by early September. After that I'll be taking a break from making anything new for a while, but plan to extend the last tier of materials and machines (i.e. post-rocket play) later in the year.

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

Hey !

I just looked all your screenshots of this mod ...
and i'm fuck*** hyped !!!

waiting this first release :) (and i'll probably play with Krastorio + (SE ? ))
Just a big fan of Factorio and all its mods

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Aquaholic27 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:44 am
Adamo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Note that Bob without Angel doesn't change vanilla that much... especially without Electronics !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

vanarnam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vanarnam »

I saw the krastorio update became compatible with industrial revolution and came to check it out. This looks fantastic.

Compatible with space exploration?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

vanarnam wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 pm
I saw the krastorio update became compatible with industrial revolution and came to check it out. This looks fantastic.

Compatible with space exploration?
Maybe not straight out of the gate, but it's high on the list, as well as AAI.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (WIP)

Post by Deadlock989 »

OP in this thread updated with some background info.

Return to “Mods”