[0.10, 0.11 +] Green Turtle (like to play green?)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.10, 0.11 +] Green Turtle (like to play green?)

Post by Schmendrick »

This is for players who like to play "green" and would like to see a stronger mechanical influence/motivation for doing so. It makes the following simple changes (note these initial values are kind of arbitrary, let me know if anyone feels they should be tweaked):
  • Passive biter evolution over time eliminated entirely.
  • Pollution decay reduced to less than 1% default
  • Pollution diffusion ratio reduced 3%, threshold reduced 33%, encouraging slower spreading of pollution, but further distances for small amounts of pollution.
  • Biter evolution due to pollution doubled.
  • Tree pollution reduction increased 10%.
Note: Green Turtle makes map settings changes. If you remove this mod, its map effects will remain (pollution decay and biter evolution).

Changes
  • Changed modifications to trees from nerf (-75%) to buff (+10%).
  • Decreased pollution diffusion threshold - makes small amounts of pollution spread wider and thinner.
  • Decreased pollution diffusion rate - makes pollution spread slower.
  • Removed efficiency module nerf; probably better placed in a different mod.
Attachments
green-turtle_0.1.2.zip
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 650 times
Last edited by Schmendrick on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.10, 0.11 +] Green Turtle (like to play green?)

Post by cartmen180 »

Not sure if i like the overwriting of other mods modules. I for one am carefully balancing the new modules in my mod, your mod upsets this balance. Now i have to make an overwrite script for your overwrite :p
Check out my mods

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Edited my original post to make it a bit more clear what the mod does. It just makes energy reducing effects across the board less powerful. It would be weird to modify the effects of vanilla modules but not anything else IMO...

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

I think that the 1/4 tree pollution reduction is not for me, i woud much more enjoy more dealing with different types of pollution(carbon type, dust type, production type, toxic type, exotic type?(alien science packs, atd)), using different methods/species of trees (air filters, rain inducing chemicals(in rockets?), closed buildings, other plants/GM seaweed?)

Note: ? marks features/ideas that i'm not too sure about(maybe they dont fit the style of factorio).

rioninnimo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rioninnimo »

Just my 2 cents:
>Tree pollution reduction reduced to 1/4 its former value.
When i play green , i try to keep trees around , for their pollution reduction and because more trees = more green.Still the tree pollution reduction not much help. With reduced tree pollution reduction there less ingame incentives to keep trees. So this essentially pushes players in direction of cutting trees to make space for machines/solar panels. Not so green , imho.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

I agree with you both. I nerfed trees as part of the "make things hard" goal but without much thought regarding balance. Even nerfed trees are worth keeping around in that they are the only way to reduce pollution once it's made (as opposed to solar panels reducing the amount made, but I agree that nerfing them was a bad move. In light of some number crunching (the first panel in a coal steam operation saves about 0.849 pollution/second), I may even buff trees' pollution reduction.

Leosmellsgood
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Leosmellsgood »

Im looking for a mod that offers something to decrease pollution e.g. a building like a greenhouse and it eats up heaps of pollution. Or just simply reducing the pollution of machines and buffing the negative polution of trees. Thats why this post appeals to me

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Updated. Removed efficiency and tree nerf, tweaked pollution behavior. Buffed trees slightly.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

0.1.1 wouldn't affect existing saves. Tried rewriting it so it would "uninstall" itself if removed, instead of making a permanent change to the map, couldn't.
0.1.2 is back to the 0.1.0 behavior of affecting any game run while it is installed, permanently (except for manually resetting mapsettings via console of course), but with the 0.1.1 values.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Love the mod some before and afters ignore the right side outposts :P

Before: http://i.imgur.com/imL7vkh.png

After: http://i.imgur.com/Ru6tMle.jpg

Return to “Mods”