Description: Adds a simple machine for automatic harvesting of forests into raw wood
My first attempt at modding Factorio, sprung from starting a new game and ending up with a tiny patch of coal in my starting area, but completely surrounded by forest. Harvesting wood by hand in the early game is as we all know a major ache in the behind, and construction robots are a mid-late game technology. So with the help of Eradicator (thanks a lot!) in the Mod Ideas forum I present the automatic wood harvester. It's researched early on (as part of Automation) so if you wanted to and had plenty of forest around you could power your base entirely off wood.
The machine itself costs 10 iron plates, 5 iron gear wheels
Current version: 0.17.1
- Will only harvest wood from trees. If other mods add additional resources to trees, those resources will be lost.
[*] Will probably get stuck if a tree doesn't provide wood. Shouldn't happen in vanilla, but a possible conflict with other mods.Fixed
- Won't show the affected area during placement. This is a limitation in Factorio as the AssemblingMachine prototype doesn't support overlays, only mining drills and roboports do.
- Model is simply a recolored Assembling Machine 1 because I can't 3d model to save my life.
- Possibly increased harvesting area/speed through research.
- Play better with other mods.
- More visible harvesting rather than trees just disappearing (if possible).
- Harvesters no longer silently disable themselves when running out of trees to harvest, but mark themselves for deconstruction once all materials have been removed. (Can be changed in mod settings)
- Harvester recipe changed due to removal of iron axes, now only requires 5 gears and 10 plates.
- Harvesters now actually stop harvesting when marked for deconstruction, and won't refill the input slot while inactive.
- Major/minor mod version follows Factorio, so mod version 0.17.x is compatible with Factorio 0.17
- 0.0.10: Fixed a small bug in the recipes which would cause errors when used alongside Bob's mods.
- 0.0.9: Fixed bugs in checkForUpdate. Shouldn't throw errors when added to an existing game now.
- 0.0.8: Fixed the recipe sorting, now sorts after Pumpjacks in the extraction machine subcategory.
- 0.0.8: Harvester now starts cutting trees closest to itself and works its way out, another idea (re)implemented (and improved ) from eradicator's proof of concept.