Topics and discussion about specific mods
account_on_factorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] Storage Energistics MAX SPEED

Post by account_on_factorio »

made some test on SPEED 28.june , 15:00 CET

https://imgur.com/gallery/w09LzB2

distance between send( 6x network.interface) and receive ( huge storage.chest)= 4440 x:coords
transfers about :!: :!: 1k Items/sec :!: :!: on 55 FPS/UPS on ryzen 6core at FullHD factorio 16.27

that means , fast enough even for me

Nividica
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] Storage Energistics

Post by Nividica »

account_on_factorio wrote:B I N G O

as you see on pic, I can feed now 400 Items per sec, they are transferred
Manually fill the interface.chests (ctrl-left) , all of them are transferred in instantly

https://imgur.com/gallery/wCCSgan

ther was some interesting thing happened:
due to see the difference, I saved the game, switched to .9.1 , reload the game ,
and the FPS/UPS dropped to 20 , saved, reloaded, 20
saved, reloaded , back on 60

overall , at least 200% improvement in transfer speed ,

what I still wish to have:
some chest, connected to vanilla AND energistic storage, which pulls ONLY from energistics storage and do NOT need connection
to vanilla logistics
why: lets asume, you need some items far far away ( >10.000 coords) from your vanilla logistics, but you are connected
to energistic "store" via red/green wire , you are able to request or send (somewhow) some items ( resources, belts, machines etc)

I always have a seperate BACKUP power line with red-wires to every important point on the map, because the funny biters sometime
eat up the main power line

by the way: the most UNLOGIC thing in factorio is: you can transfer tons of gigawatt on a single cupper wire without burning it down

:mrgreen: keep on coding ,
regards from munich
Glad to hear things are working better!

I don't follow you on the setup you specified.
If you are talking about randomly pulling or pushing items to the storage network, you can just plop down an interface chest and set your filter for what you want. Anything else is pushed to the network storage.
Or are you talking about something of a 'relay' chest, where items not located in the network, but are being requested, would be requested from a logistics network via a special chest?

Nividica
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] Storage Energistics MAX SPEED

Post by Nividica »

account_on_factorio wrote:made some test on SPEED 28.june , 15:00 CET

https://imgur.com/gallery/w09LzB2

distance between send( 6x network.interface) and receive ( huge storage.chest)= 4440 x:coords
transfers about :!: :!: 1k Items/sec :!: :!: on 55 FPS/UPS on ryzen 6core at FullHD factorio 16.27

that means , fast enough even for me
Awesome!

account_on_factorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

https://imgur.com/gallery/lQtBoXp

the next vanilla logistic is 4000 coords away

how to get an item OUT of the storage chests
it's not working with the network.interface chest, or i don't understand how.
- what is ment by out of the network based on filters , how to set/specify/apply a filter on the chest
filter inserters are NOT working

greetings to memphis from munich

Nividica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nividica »

account_on_factorio wrote:https://imgur.com/gallery/lQtBoXp

the next vanilla logistic is 4000 coords away

how to get an item OUT of the storage chests
it's not working with the network.interface chest, or i don't understand how.
- what is ment by out of the network based on filters , how to set/specify/apply a filter on the chest
filter inserters are NOT working

greetings to memphis from munich
When you open the green interface chest, a filters area displays on the left-hand side of the screen, show in the screenshot highlighted in red. There you can set what you want to keep in the chest.

account_on_factorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

sorry , but i don't saw the forest because of the trees ( german phrase)

retrieving is ok now, how to delete a filter from the chest
without delete-re-place it

next: i definitly need a BIGGER network.storage.chest , like warehouse mod, 800 stacks ,
the recipe may use 500 blue chips or anything expansive, in end-game no prolem at all,
the chest is anyway only useful in end-game

by pressing -- N -- , network overview , it get following

https://imgur.com/gallery/BFtvXAR

any idea, why different network labels/numbers

keep on coding

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Nividica wrote:My average UPS was 59.0 with this running, along side the rest of my world/map/factory,
Finally got around to trying my own blueprint in the fixed version. I'm sure you know the debug screen by now? Press F4/5/6/7 -> show-detailed-info, then you can see your script timing in milliseconds.

Stuff i built: 350ish of my blueprint (i.e. 350 interface/storage chest each). 320 energy buffers.

Stuff i noticed:
The energy buffers are weird. With too few (20ish) they were constantly empty even though i had enough power (EEI). With 320 of them only 120 of the storage chests recieve input, even when all buffers are full.

The energy graph has nice spikes every second, so i'm assuming you have on_tick % 60. Which causes a notable freezing of the game when it happens. You should probably fix that even before the "performance optimization" because it'll need a completely different data structure.

And now for the worst part...performance cost seems to increase linearly. With this setup your script consumes 8.5ms (that's 40UPS on an empty map for me). You need to push that below 1.0 at least, which is still considerd "performance heavy" by most advanced players. Or make the thing so expensive it can only be used for edgy edge cases and spam is not an issue (bleh :p).

Side note: As most new mods i've seen that do anything with items, as expected, you don't handle any item attributes. So everything that's not a dumb stack (ammo with capacity, armor with equipment, etcpp) is "reset" to a fresh state when transported. Have fun getting that down to acceptable performance levels :P.

account_on_factorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

to eradicator

350 interface/storage chest each). 320 energy buffers.

do you have any impact on FPS/UPS by doing this with vanilla logistics ( chests / bots )
and which is more interesting for me DISTANCE

I'm on the way to reorganize my map to have a CENTRAL STORE, the distances are aproc. 20000 coords,
which you can'd do by logistic ports , and, as you see on my previous posts, i'm able to transfer 1K items/sec,
with no impact on FPS/UPS

I agree with the item attributs issue, BUT, this mod seems to be in early stage, with enormous potential,
so let's wait the improvements to come

regards from munich

Nividica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nividica »

eradicator wrote: Finally got around to trying my own blueprint in the fixed version. I'm sure you know the debug screen by now? Press F4/5/6/7 -> show-detailed-info, then you can see your script timing in milliseconds.

Stuff i built: 350ish of my blueprint (i.e. 350 interface/storage chest each). 320 energy buffers.

Stuff i noticed:
The energy buffers are weird. With too few (20ish) they were constantly empty even though i had enough power (EEI). With 320 of them only 120 of the storage chests recieve input, even when all buffers are full.

The energy graph has nice spikes every second, so i'm assuming you have on_tick % 60. Which causes a notable freezing of the game when it happens. You should probably fix that even before the "performance optimization" because it'll need a completely different data structure.

And now for the worst part...performance cost seems to increase linearly. With this setup your script consumes 8.5ms (that's 40UPS on an empty map for me). You need to push that below 1.0 at least, which is still considerd "performance heavy" by most advanced players. Or make the thing so expensive it can only be used for edgy edge cases and spam is not an issue (bleh :p).

Side note: As most new mods i've seen that do anything with items, as expected, you don't handle any item attributes. So everything that's not a dumb stack (ammo with capacity, armor with equipment, etcpp) is "reset" to a fresh state when transported. Have fun getting that down to acceptable performance levels :P.
All network actions are taken every network tick, which is a setting with a default of 30 game ticks.
Speaking of settings, you may want to reset yours as I adjusted some of the power requirements when I updated the chunk algorithm. 320 Buffers sounds like to many for 350 chest pairs.
Each buffer can pull up to 500KW(via hidden EEI)

Performance
I established a baseline by adding an empty tick handler

Code: Select all

script.on_event(defines.events.on_tick, function() end)
which resulted in 0.007 on an empty map.
I checked my performance with an empty map and my scripts time is 0.022, which I do not know what units that is. I also checked in my test world, and its 1.428 so maybe ms?
There are two major tick branches, Network and GUI. Commenting out the GUI call, much to my surprise, resulted in a drop to 0.010. Looking into the GUI code I was able to track down a performance issue dealing with the GUI manager, and ultimately itterating over the list of players. I spent some time rewriting the GUI state and am now able to run at 0.014 on the empty map.
Linear growth does not surpise me in the least, as each action/chest/stack will cause internal loops to also increase by 1.

Items
I recently learned of the loss of item metadata while playing with the idea of portable chests. This will take some thought as to how to deal with it, as I am working with simple copies of the stack so that they can be split easily.

Nividica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nividica »

account_on_factorio wrote: retrieving is ok now, how to delete a filter from the chest
without delete-re-place it
Rightclick the filter slot
account_on_factorio wrote: next: i definitly need a BIGGER network.storage.chest , like warehouse mod, 800 stacks ,
the recipe may use 500 blue chips or anything expansive, in end-game no prolem at all,
the chest is anyway only useful in end-game
You have some impressive needs lol. I will give it some consideration, but my first instinct is to continue with the pattern buffer and add upgrade progression.
account_on_factorio wrote: by pressing -- N -- , network overview , it get following
any idea, why different network labels/numbers
I've probably gotten the dropdown index numbering wrong :P Those are supposed to be sorted numerically.
Edit: Yeah I have the list sorted backwards. Will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for pointing that out!

account_on_factorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

In the meantime i started a new map, beside the other, which i play with my kids

on the new one i try to use your mod for all the storages as well the transportation,
because the bots are to slow , and the belts are alway eaten by the byters.
in my concept i will only use interfaces for in/out , and i will see how to get items to my inventary,
maybe just some bots.

it's interesting as well when I try to transfer the signals( red/green wires) to factorissimo huts

thanks for the always quick responds

keep on coding but, don't forget to life

greetings from bavaria

account_on_factorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

first impressions on project belt-bot-less

https://imgur.com/gallery/emx5mZR

just put the blueprint, connect to network, configure the assembler, copy/paste
the settings to the Network.interface.get -> done

- its a lot more faster than the lazy bots, much more space-saving than belts
- another advantage is, that you don't produce too much of your valuable items
because of full chests etc.

i will setup a small area with e.g 20 bots, to automatically synchronize my inventory.
the energistic.network is NOT CONNECTED to vanilla logistic.network, only via
network.interfaces ( i call them get and put )

my goal is, to do EVERY transport via energistics , to have everything on a central point,
which is the only thing to "protect"
As my defence is based on lasers only ( I'm a lazy guy), i spread ot my energy.network, wich also can handle
the items stuff,

I'm really impressed, BUT I NEED BIGGER STORAGE CAPACITY , Pleaaaassseeee

regards

Nividica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nividica »

Version 0.9.2 has been released with the following changes

Bugfixes:
  • Network selection dropdown in overview window was sorted backwards internally
  • Settings were not updating when changed mid-game, and were locked to the values set when map was created.
Changes:
  • Gui code overhaul. Greatly improved idle(no gui shown) peformance, improved active performance
  • Reworked event processing to increase performance
Important Notice:
For those of you that already have a map using this mod, I highly suggest resetting the mods settings in-game to the defaults, then re-applying the settings you wish to have.

Nividica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nividica »

account_on_factorio wrote:first impressions on project belt-bot-less
Hehe, I have the bigger capacity chests on the todo list. And I like your setup!

One suggestion I have that you may want to try is using storage chests with ReadOnly mode active to hold the results of an assembler.
[Interface with ingredients] => Inserter => Assembler => [Storage Chest with ReadOnly checked]
Using this configuration, you don't have to worry about one particular item filling up the networks read/write storage.
Example to keep one stack of ammo available to network
Also keep in mind that the network prioritizes extracting items from read/write chests over read-only chests. This is to help drain/use excess items before crafting more.

account_on_factorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

I'm not able to modify or delete a NETWORK REQUEST FILTER

the slot seems to be locked,

READ ONLY : As i have the same vanilla logic network everywhere ( this do the storage AND logic) , i just tell the "get" inserter out of
the assembler " hey guy, do just as long the MAX is reached, otherwise go to sleep"

for the inventory case: as interim solution on my base i put an "get" network.chest wich provide the items i need most,
so i go there and synchronize manually, for time beeing

My idea is, if out on map for exploring, e.g. set up a new mining area, i allways put here energy, and, as well, the lovely red wire.
i just want to use a blueprint ( with a preconfigured "get" network.interface") , put there, synchronize or whatever, and, if finished, just delete the chest.
( in my armor there is always a personal logistic.port) and i always have some worker.r2d2's in my inventory

BUT: the filter is not copied to the blueprint , or not pasted ( is vanilla or energistics ?)

by the way :
1: took a look to you LUA's , well documented
2: my profession is AUTOMATION BUSINESS , that's why

regards

account_on_factorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

more for read only :
I like to have everything stored in a central place, which makes it much easier for me to maintain
and. worst case, if somebody ( biters, or even me) delete the lovely red wire,
i just go to the main storage and pick-up manually

my info area https://imgur.com/gallery/Pg8UPpk

I'm to stupid to put the pics directly , so you have to click one more time
? how often in our life we clicked left/right button ?
it would by nice to put a small pieco under the button ( of my trackball) and feed the washing machine with this energy

thats all folks
greeting from germany

account_on_factorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] Storage Energistics wireless

i'm trying to transfer items wireless to enegistics network:
unsuccessfull mods I tested :
Wireless_Circuit_Network_0.1.5.zip
wireless-signals_0.1.3.zip
skan-radio-telemetry_1.1.4

they cannot work cause of different network numbers ,
and for energistics it has to be the same. all of them can only read the contens of the netw.interface,
but not tranfer anything

any chance that you implement wireless , bi-directional would be great .

of course , I found a solution, but the transfer-speed is to slow ( for me)
nothing can beat the speed of your mod

this is my wireless mining island , paste it on a field, configure, done
wireless minig island

account_on_factorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

just some examples, how this mod simplifies a lot
I know factorio is made around trains and bots, but they are annoing (for me),
and now, there is a way to avoid them.

I just use some of the construction r2d2's to handle my blueprints and repair jobs
crafting
mining
store
cooking
uran processing, kovalex
uran mining
-> chris, you have my permission to use the images wherever you want ?loo?

regards

LilTrublMakr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by LilTrublMakr »

I would like to put in a request for more storage space.

It seems very odd to me that the chests require a steel chest to build but we only get the storage of a wooden crate. This is really messing me up because I can't replace my furnace setups. I can pull the ores to smelt just fine but there is no way that I can think of to get the plates back to the pickup station without the trains having to make a ton of trips. Yes, there is the very large storage chest but I would have to request the materials and then use inserters to put them in that chest. Very counter intuitive.

TL;DR: We build with steel chests, we should get the storage space of a steel chest.

Nividica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nividica »

LilTrublMakr wrote:I would like to put in a request for more storage space.

It seems very odd to me that the chests require a steel chest to build but we only get the storage of a wooden crate. This is really messing me up because I can't replace my furnace setups. I can pull the ores to smelt just fine but there is no way that I can think of to get the plates back to the pickup station without the trains having to make a ton of trips. Yes, there is the very large storage chest but I would have to request the materials and then use inserters to put them in that chest. Very counter intuitive.

TL;DR: We build with steel chests, we should get the storage space of a steel chest.
Fair point. I will increase the storage size of the regular chests to that of the steel chest. As for the high capacity chest, I will reevaluate the storage size increase.

Return to “Mods”