Best gameplay-changing mods?

Topics and discussion about specific mods
identity0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by identity0 »

I've been playing Factorio for some time now and I was looking for a new experience. I've already launched the rocket once. I tried Bob's and Angel's but I think they're too much for me. Are there good simple gameplay-changing mods, maybe that just add one new structure or tech or something.

SilentCrim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Best gameplay-changing mods?

Post by SilentCrim »

Hi there. Firstly I believe this post is in the wrong subforum, it should be here.

As for your question, RSO is the most obvious mod that matches all your criteria. It changes the game in a subtle way but still manages to affect gameplay significantly.

If Bob's and Angel's are too much for you (don't worry, they were for me too), I'd suggest you try AAI Industries. I've been using it on my most recent playthrough and it manages to give the game a whole new feel while leaving the core gameplay basically untouched. It makes tech progression feel a lot more natural than vanilla IMO, but be warned it ramps up the difficulty quite a bit. The biggest downside to it is that most of the changes only significantly affect the early game, so the late game can still feel pretty vanilla. Also, it significantly increases the resources you need to make a lot of the basic items, and as such can quickly unbalance other mods.

Besides that, the other AAI mods (programmable vehicles/structures) are definitely worth checking out, and can add a new dimension to the vanilla gameplay without feeling overbearing. Then there's a whole boatload of mods that add singular, contained additions to the gameplay, such as Avatars, Aircraft, Bio Industries, and many more.

Lastly, there are a plethora of quality of life mods that are worth checking out and are a fundamental part of the game IMO (I won't list them here, since I don't think QoL mods meet your set criteria). My advice is to hit the Mod Portal and just go crazy. You're bound to find something you like.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198074798722.']Image[/url]

identity0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by identity0 »

SilentCrim wrote:
I'd suggest you try AAI Industries. I've been using it on my most recent playthrough and it manages to give the game a whole new feel while leaving the core gameplay basically untouched. It makes tech progression feel a lot more natural than vanilla IMO, but be warned it ramps up the difficulty quite a bit. The biggest downside to it is that most of the changes only significantly affect the early game, so the late game can still feel pretty vanilla. Also, it significantly increases the resources you need to make a lot of the basic items, and as such can quickly unbalance other mods.
Thanks for your suggestions! I'm currently playing AAI industries and most of the AAI programmable mods (along with some other mods) and it's a lot of fun. One of my favourite mods right now is Alien Biomes which makes the world look a lot more alien.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

identity0 wrote:I'm currently playing AAI industries and most of the AAI programmable mods (along with some other mods) and it's a lot of fun. One of my favourite mods right now is Alien Biomes which makes the world look a lot more alien.
Did you tried Frozen World?

identity0
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by identity0 »

darkfrei wrote: Did you tried Frozen World?
No, I haven't, looks interesting though

Return to “Mods”