Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[MOD 0.16] YAIOM - Yet Another Infinite Ore Mechanic

Post by Dustine »

Name: YAIOM
Download: Mod portal
License: MIT

Having issues finding reliable ore spots farther and farther away? Want some sustainable but non-trivial ore sources?

Look no further.

Hydraulic fracturing

When you generate a map with this mod on, you may notice that there's blue/green/pink/... ores on the map generation preview, but once you're within the game, you can't find them.

Well, that's because they're generated deep underground, and you'll need to extract them if you want to reach them. And scan them first for their location so you can even see them.

Researching Hydraulic fracturing (fracking) will unlock a Deep soil scanner that scans the floor for gravimetric fluctuations deep underground, in the same radius as a basegame radar's active coverage (7x7 chunks). The miners for the ores are unlocked with further research (once you research the means to process any deep ore).

Place one down and let it run, as they take a while. Each scanner takes at most around an hour in real time to finish scanning to its fullest width (2 minutes per chunk), and then deconstruct itself once done.

Deep soil scanners won't scan chunks that have already been scanned (and revealed any deep ores), so spamming them around the terrain is the most efficient way to uncover the hidden ore.

Satellite coverage

If you're tired of having to place and move scanners around, there's the Orbital deep soil scanning research which unlocks the means to use satellites to also scan the soil over time, getting faster the more satellites you have.

But to make this happen you'll need to place a Satellite beacon on the surface you wish to scan and wait, as each passive scan takes a whole Factorio day (~7 minutes), **but can reveal several chunks at once** depending on how many satellites you have in orbit. Just, don't place more than one beacon at a time. Trust me on this one.

Ferricupric ore

The first (and only for now) ore found deep underground, being a mixture of hydro-carbonates and traces of both weak ferric and cupric (iron and copper, hence its name) acids. It shows on the minimap as a light blue, for ease of visibility. It can produce copper, iron, oil side-products and eventually coal.

Requires light oil to extract it from the floor, where high yields will require less oil per 1lu of ferricupric sludge (at the mininum yield, you get 1 sludge per 1 light oil used).

An early game setup for the sludge may look like this:

This earlier setup may still be of use even after unlocking the advanced ore refining below, seeing that you get 1:1 on the return of petroleum gas, while you lose on maximum petroleum gas yield with the advanced setup.

While a late game setup, requiring more research, may look like this:

Oh, and you might want to use productivity modules on these.

Yet to come

- Better graphics. I know, tinting stuff blue is my signature by now but it looks groddy.
- Adding dedicated support for big modpacks, such as adding a separate deep ore for tin-lead or integrating with Angel's ore processing more tightly.

Bugs

Report on my github or here. Don't forget to include your savegame, the log file(s), a zip folder with all of your currently using mods, and to describe what you were doing before the bug happened.

Credits
- Katherine of Skies's community for the mod idea and support
- Various members on the Factorio Discord and IRC for handling my rambling about
- Arch666Angel, for the placeholder graphic for the beacon

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.16] YAIOM 1.1.0

Post by Dustine »

A small change with a big gameplay change: added a post-rocket technology that allows to use satellites (true to the original description! No idea why that doesn't update on the mod portal) to slowly and passively scan for new patches.

Compliments but doesn't replace scanner's completely, as satellite scanning is slow and random, but doens't repeat tiles, so no worries there.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] YAIOM - Yet Another Infinite Ore Mechanic

Post by orzelek »

I've added RSO support for your mod but to make it work properly you'll need to make small edit.
Since your mod uses on chunk handler you need to add optional dependency on rso-mod to make sure that RSO can generate ore before your mod does it's processing of on chunk generated.

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dustine »

orzelek wrote:I've added RSO support for your mod but to make it work properly you'll need to make small edit.
Since your mod uses on chunk handler you need to add optional dependency on rso-mod to make sure that RSO can generate ore before your mod does it's processing of on chunk generated.
Oh, awesome! Thank you so much! Next YAIOM release will have the optional dependency, as per requested (plus I feel I'll have to tweak it a bit so to make the ore (re)generate only after it's scanned, so it may take a bit).

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

(sorry Dustine, this may have been my doing) :)
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=54614#p337715
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dustine »

foodfactorio wrote:(sorry Dustine, this may have been my doing) :)
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=54614#p337715
No worries, this expedited my wanting to update the mod internally. The current method to uncover ores was giving some other issues, so reworking so it'll work with RSO, if anything, gave me reason to do it now.

May take a bit longer tho, I'm also adding compatibility to Petrochem.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

ah thats great :)

(if you get stuck in all the angel recipies, and need a quick break, try page 2 of the song page here) :D
viewtopic.php?f=177&t=33767&start=20#p336538
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Dustine wrote: May take a bit longer tho, I'm also adding compatibility to Petrochem.

https://i.imgur.com/qn6Qenf.png
I like it :)

Air
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Air »

Dustine wrote:
orzelek wrote:I've added RSO support for your mod but to make it work properly you'll need to make small edit.
Oh, awesome! Thank you so much! Next YAIOM release will have the optional dependency, as per requested (plus I feel I'll have to tweak it a bit so to make the ore (re)generate only after it's scanned, so it may take a bit).
Any news on RSO support? I want to try out this mod but I'm so used to RSO.

On an unrelated note, what do you think about making this ore not so infinite (as an option)? Would be interesting for it to run out just like other ores so that you'd have to search for more. For me the most interesting part is that you have to discover deposits before you can mine it.

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dustine »

Air wrote:
Dustine wrote:
Any news on RSO support? I want to try out this mod but I'm so used to RSO.

On an unrelated note, what do you think about making this ore not so infinite (as an option)? Would be interesting for it to run out just like other ores so that you'd have to search for more. For me the most interesting part is that you have to discover deposits before you can mine it.
Schoolwork got in the way. But hey, summer's here so I'll go refresh myself on what I was doing and see what I can come up with.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

I just tried out your mod and found it very nice..........

As i noticed you are still working on this mod i would have some suggestions.....
  • i first did not understand how the radar works because i though if the slider is full the search is finished, seems not to be --> better scale the slider to the total searching
  • currently i have a beacon up and running (hope) but i could not find any changes
  • i find the fields somewhat small and high numbered --> should be larger and not so much numberous, say only one or two per total radararea

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi nosports, if you added it to an existing game, i think it only works with newly found chunks of the map

Return to “Mods”