Viper54K
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[MOD 0.15+] Electrified Belts

Post by Viper54K »

Mod name: Electrified Belts
Version: 0.1.0
Category: Gameplay
Description: Bobs, Angels and AAI-Industry friendly mod that adds realism mechanics around needing to provide your transport belts with some form of energy (no more magic belts!)
Long Description

Viper54K
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15+] Electrified Belts

Post by Viper54K »

Just a heads up folks, its currently being produced. Will be providing update with release 1.0 after an initial alpha test.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Use an EEI with LuaEntity.power_usage.

Do you plan for the "power aura" to just be an area around the provider? Imho logically it would make more sense if the provider had to be adjacent (or even on top of) a belt and would provide all belts going in the same direction with power - like a motor at the start of real-life conveyor belts.

If it was "on top of" a belt it would also not cause any additional layout challenges that would otherwise make very-tight or very-short layouts impossible. And it would be easy to make it generally compatible with any belt without requiring mod-specific code.

Also i hope you have a good solution for performance. Because belts are already a huge hit on performance in most factories.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Viper54K
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Viper54K »

Id love to have it be directionally and linearly (ie: all belts connected) dependant, however at the moment im trying to cobble together a proof of concept.

Im keeping it to a very (lame, i know) simple electric-pole variety aura, being generous on radius (probably 10x10 tile radius). Before I go making it more complex, i need to be very careful not to make it on-tick heavy and a power aura is the simplest idea I can think of at the moment.

To give more details on what im thinking of with the sprite/structure - I'm going to use a boiler from the pre-0.15 factorio days as a sprite as the burner node. Should give you an idea of how small i want to make the structure. I also messaged Yuoki to see if he would let me use 2 of his generator sprites instead, since theyre much better looking and also fairly small, sprite wise.

If you have any ideas on where to get better sprites, or how to carry through with a more complex simulation, let me know. Im all ears! :D

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

10x10 doesn't sound generous at all. given that factories tend to be huge.
I also wasn't thinking of any sort of "simulation". You just associate a list of belt-tiles that form one "strand" with the "motor" block. and then check the motor block regularly if it has enough energy to last until the next check. If it does do nothing. If it doesnt disable the corresponding belt strands. You might still want some sort of maximum reach/number of tiles (200-500ish?) so that you can't power a 16 lane iron bus with splitters just from one motor.
That way you have to do some medium/heavy lifting in on_built but otherwise it's pretty harmless.

What is your current solution? You said something about a "power pole" but how are you keeping track of which belts are powered etc?

As for sprites...your best bet is to have a fully functional mod and then ask one of the more talented people if they care to make one for you. If you ask them without a functional mod... chances are greatly reduced :P
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Mods”