Re: PyCoalTBaA or the PyCoal Touched by an Angel Compatibility Patch

Post by salttotart »

kingarthur wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:13 pm
Xenothar wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:56 pm
Very very nice one Kingarthur!

I do have a sort of related question:

What is the overall aim for your mod for the future? With PYRO now being/becoming a thing, there is quite some redundancy in bobs/angels vs py-suite around ore refining up to plates.

I think, there are two possible ways this mod might shape up:

1. (aka Compatibility path) Sorting out compatibility (remove errors/progression deadlocks and duplicates of the same stuff) --> Parallel paths with vastly different difficulty, such as PYRO vs. angels will still exist and depend on the player to force him/herself to stick to more difficult progression/recipes
2. (aka modpack path) Compatibility, plus: Building a progression path out of the mods by altering results, ingredients and changing/deleting/adding recipes to provide a (balanced) progression. Example: no PYRO standard ressource generation, only the big rocks. PYRO ores are locked behind angels ores. Building up a progression, e.g. like this: Angels mining, (refining optional) and sorting --> (PYRO refining optional/for more yield) --> Angel smelting

Problem of path 2 is obviously workload, because balancing all this progression reasonably will be a nightmare at first. But given you started Pyblock, you might be interested in a more concise experience with path 2. Maybe I am also missing a path?

The reason I am asking is because I am very interested in the second path and I am thinking of starting this project myself, in case you want to stay with the first path only. On the other hand, if you are interested in path 2, I am gladly offering help in the whole process, if you could need a hand. I just want to avoid doing work twice for no reason, when you are already planning/working on it.
My game plan is to get the compatibility done first so that you can play with what mods you want. when that reasonably done and the bugs, deadlocks and other assorted issue delt with to move on and use the mods as more of a tool box it to build up an and organized, balanced and planned progression.

Or basicly plan 1 and when that's mostly done move onto plan 2
This reply is directed to both kingarthur and Xenothar.

Although I don't post on the forums very often (is this my 4th post?), I have been active in the Factorio community since the 0.13 days in other capacities. I do not know much about lua modding, so my breakdown below may need to be taken with a grain of salt, but I feel that an additional prospective may not be a bad idea.

If lua modding is anything like Java modding, you would have to accomplish path 1 before you could even think about path 2. The biggest issue I can see with going down path 1 is that neither kingarthur nor yourself control the other mods (Bobs, Angels, Py), so you are completely at the mercy of what they decide to implement in their mods. While this mod is a godsend for being a mediator between them all, I do not believe it to be a good idea to go down path 2 as long as the other mods (especially Angels) is completed. Once they are no longer being updated with new material on an almost monthly basis (at least it seems as such to me), I think you would be chasing your tail trying to catch up only to start again with even newer things.

All of that being said, I think having path 2 completed would be amazing. I know I am not alone in loving locked progression type packs (e.g., Minecraft's Modern Skyblock series or Project Ozone series) and would greatly expand on what is already available in the mods. I think it would play very nicely with what Wube is pushing out in 0.17 as well to allow for a more custom narrative.

My reply here is not meant to damper or suggest that path 2 is a bad idea (I actually really like it), but risk and impact management is a part of my day job and I can see what a project like this would be like, especially for one or two people. In conclusion: all the YES!!!!!, but I wouldn't suggest it right now. I think you have the right idea, kingarthur.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

salttotart wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:31 pm
kingarthur wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:13 pm
Xenothar wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:56 pm
Very very nice one Kingarthur!

I do have a sort of related question:

What is the overall aim for your mod for the future? With PYRO now being/becoming a thing, there is quite some redundancy in bobs/angels vs py-suite around ore refining up to plates.

I think, there are two possible ways this mod might shape up:

1. (aka Compatibility path) Sorting out compatibility (remove errors/progression deadlocks and duplicates of the same stuff) --> Parallel paths with vastly different difficulty, such as PYRO vs. angels will still exist and depend on the player to force him/herself to stick to more difficult progression/recipes
2. (aka modpack path) Compatibility, plus: Building a progression path out of the mods by altering results, ingredients and changing/deleting/adding recipes to provide a (balanced) progression. Example: no PYRO standard ressource generation, only the big rocks. PYRO ores are locked behind angels ores. Building up a progression, e.g. like this: Angels mining, (refining optional) and sorting --> (PYRO refining optional/for more yield) --> Angel smelting

Problem of path 2 is obviously workload, because balancing all this progression reasonably will be a nightmare at first. But given you started Pyblock, you might be interested in a more concise experience with path 2. Maybe I am also missing a path?

The reason I am asking is because I am very interested in the second path and I am thinking of starting this project myself, in case you want to stay with the first path only. On the other hand, if you are interested in path 2, I am gladly offering help in the whole process, if you could need a hand. I just want to avoid doing work twice for no reason, when you are already planning/working on it.
My game plan is to get the compatibility done first so that you can play with what mods you want. when that reasonably done and the bugs, deadlocks and other assorted issue delt with to move on and use the mods as more of a tool box it to build up an and organized, balanced and planned progression.

Or basicly plan 1 and when that's mostly done move onto plan 2
This reply is directed to both kingarthur and Xenothar.

Although I don't post on the forums very often (is this my 4th post?), I have been active in the Factorio community since the 0.13 days in other capacities. I do not know much about lua modding, so my breakdown below may need to be taken with a grain of salt, but I feel that an additional prospective may not be a bad idea.

If lua modding is anything like Java modding, you would have to accomplish path 1 before you could even think about path 2. The biggest issue I can see with going down path 1 is that neither kingarthur nor yourself control the other mods (Bobs, Angels, Py), so you are completely at the mercy of what they decide to implement in their mods. While this mod is a godsend for being a mediator between them all, I do not believe it to be a good idea to go down path 2 as long as the other mods (especially Angels) is completed. Once they are no longer being updated with new material on an almost monthly basis (at least it seems as such to me), I think you would be chasing your tail trying to catch up only to start again with even newer things.

All of that being said, I think having path 2 completed would be amazing. I know I am not alone in loving locked progression type packs (e.g., Minecraft's Modern Skyblock series or Project Ozone series) and would greatly expand on what is already available in the mods. I think it would play very nicely with what Wube is pushing out in 0.17 as well to allow for a more custom narrative.

My reply here is not meant to damper or suggest that path 2 is a bad idea (I actually really like it), but risk and impact management is a part of my day job and I can see what a project like this would be like, especially for one or two people. In conclusion: all the YES!!!!!, but I wouldn't suggest it right now. I think you have the right idea, kingarthur.
Well Bob basiclly isnt doing much beyond maintaining his mods for a good while now. Angel updates are not all that frequently posted and other than bug fixes from pyanodon pymods probably wont see another update till the next pymod is out. So right now after .17 updates shouldn't see any major changes from anybody for several months at least.

Usually keeping compatibility updated is relatively easy but this time when pyro released I had to redo bob compatibility and get everything updated so it's been a lot bigger of a mess than usual

Xenothar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Xenothar »

Hey,

thanks salttotart for this reply. I mostly agree with your assesment, although I think the Angels core mods for this discussion (Refining/Sorting/Smelting) seems kinda fixed for a longer while now (which is not a bad thing of course) besides balance passes. Maybe you meant Py-Suite? If so, then yes, there is a looooot in motion after PYRO release right now.

For the Path 1 vs. 2 insights: It might have been unclear or poorly formulated, but I never intended path 2 to be without assuring compatibility first. Thats also stated at the beginning of the path 2 part ("Compatibility, plus ..."). So I guess we all three agree here completely in the end with no debatable points left =P.

For the starting point: I kinda agree with you. Even if compatibility was assured right now, there is too much motion in at least PYRO atm. So I think you are absolutely correct. Letting it calm down first might, on the other hand, mean, that it maybe never happens? Not sure, but 0.17 is around the corner (heard its 1 month away) which changes some things for modders, which will stir up the whole modding part for some weeks/months. Additionally Pyanodon is far from being finished with his suite (which is good, since its awesome masochistic content one cant get enough of) and I assume, given it takes months for every single part, there might be even content on the horizon for the next year(s) to come if he/his team doesnt run out of steam.

In the end, choosing when to start will be difficult but as far as I understand modpack-making so far, the creators settle for a version of the mod, which was availabe at the point they started and lock it down. Like Skyfactory, which is then overhauled once every x year.

salttotart
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by salttotart »

Xenothar wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:29 am
Hey,

thanks salttotart for this reply. I mostly agree with your assesment, although I think the Angels core mods for this discussion (Refining/Sorting/Smelting) seems kinda fixed for a longer while now (which is not a bad thing of course) besides balance passes. Maybe you meant Py-Suite? If so, then yes, there is a looooot in motion after PYRO release right now.

For the Path 1 vs. 2 insights: It might have been unclear or poorly formulated, but I never intended path 2 to be without assuring compatibility first. Thats also stated at the beginning of the path 2 part ("Compatibility, plus ..."). So I guess we all three agree here completely in the end with no debatable points left =P.

For the starting point: I kinda agree with you. Even if compatibility was assured right now, there is too much motion in at least PYRO atm. So I think you are absolutely correct. Letting it calm down first might, on the other hand, mean, that it maybe never happens? Not sure, but 0.17 is around the corner (heard its 1 month away) which changes some things for modders, which will stir up the whole modding part for some weeks/months. Additionally Pyanodon is far from being finished with his suite (which is good, since its awesome masochistic content one cant get enough of) and I assume, given it takes months for every single part, there might be even content on the horizon for the next year(s) to come if he/his team doesnt run out of steam.

In the end, choosing when to start will be difficult but as far as I understand modpack-making so far, the creators settle for a version of the mod, which was availabe at the point they started and lock it down. Like Skyfactory, which is then overhauled once every x year.
It is a delicate balance sometimes. Even in my world, you sometimes have to bite the bullet and do it even though it could be more work than you had planned. Knowing Angel's planning process, I am sure that his suite will eventually settle once he achieves the realism he wishes to obtain (at least I hope I'm reading it all correctly). I didn't realize that it has been so long since a new Bob mod came out. My caution is more in regards to Angels and Py. Angels Petrochem is still in Alpha and, as you already alluded, PYRO is on the horizon. What would be awesome is if you could get an advanced copy of PYRO to get your mod up to speed too...

Xenothar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Xenothar »

PYRO is already out for a few days and I believe, Kingarthur had source access earlier to begin his work.

I am not a modder (yet), so I have no accesses to things like that =P

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Xenothar wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:22 am
PYRO is already out for a few days and I believe, Kingarthur had source access earlier to begin his work.

I am not a modder (yet), so I have no accesses to things like that =P
Na I'm not that special. It's on his github page. I didn't really get early access as a major portion was not in till like a week before it dropped.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

pushed out new update. should fix more than it breaks i hope

viperfan7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by viperfan7 »

kingarthur wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:29 am
99 lines of bugs in the code
99 lines of bugged code
take one down, comment it out
129 lines of bugs in the code

But no, seriously, you're awesome

Looks like the gold-plate bug still exists though, gold-plate just doesn't seem to exist for some reason

Am I supposed to be using pyrawores? Looking at the code I don't think I'm supposed to have both installed, just bob's or pyrawores.

Mella
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mella »

kingarthur wrote:
Is this an interim or final version?
You decided note to turn back nitrogen dioxide to recipes like:
1) Niobium complex -PYCP - usinng nitrogen instead of nitrogen dioxide
2) Vanadium pulp 3 - PYFE usinng ammonia instead of nitrogen dioxide
3) Vanaium precipitate - PYFE usinng ammonia instead of nitrogen dioxide
3) Molybdenum concentrate - PYFE usinng ammonia instead of nitrogen dioxide
4) Sub-denier microfiber - PYHT usinng ammonia instead of nitrogen dioxide

Separate thanks for the fertilizer recipe that you kindly converted from Bb's Greenhouse and Bio Industries mod

Waiting for further development

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

viperfan7 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:55 am

Looks like the gold-plate bug still exists though, gold-plate just doesn't seem to exist for some reason

Am I supposed to be using pyrawores? Looking at the code I don't think I'm supposed to have both installed, just bob's or pyrawores.
I'm going to be dealing with Bob's ore and pyro tonight finish getting the ores and plates adjusted and fix the missing gold plate issue for pyscience

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Mella wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:56 pm
kingarthur wrote:
Is this an interim or final version?
You decided note to turn back nitrogen dioxide to recipes like:
1) Niobium complex -PYCP - usinng nitrogen instead of nitrogen dioxide
2) Vanadium pulp 3 - PYFE usinng ammonia instead of nitrogen dioxide
3) Vanaium precipitate - PYFE usinng ammonia instead of nitrogen dioxide
3) Molybdenum concentrate - PYFE usinng ammonia instead of nitrogen dioxide
4) Sub-denier microfiber - PYHT usinng ammonia instead of nitrogen dioxide

Separate thanks for the fertilizer recipe that you kindly converted from Bb's Greenhouse and Bio Industries mod

Waiting for further development
This was just an update for some bug fixes and a major deadlock related to circuits not being craft able.

I'm going to be doing more work on it tonight and over the weekend. That's all at the top of my list to deal with getting those recipes adjusted

Mella
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mella »

Sorry I pressured you and annoyed you
Not so convenient to use py mods without bob's - i'll wait patiently :)

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Mella wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:32 pm
Sorry I pressured you and annoyed you
Not so convenient to use py mods without bob's - i'll wait patiently :)
Your fine I wasnt annoyed. I just haven't really had a chance to get them done yet since I wanted to deal with the load stopping errors and finish the tweaks need to my ingredient and result replacement scripts. Having those done will speed up my work now.

Please anytime I say I'll do something feel free to bug me every few days. I get busy and distracted and I will forget shit

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Alright its oddly quiet for having just posted an update. it's been the better part of a day and nobody's said anything about any more errors. So did I manage to not break something or ya'll just not telling me?

salttotart
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by salttotart »

kingarthur wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 pm
Alright its oddly quiet for having just posted an update. it's been the better part of a day and nobody's said anything about any more errors. So did I manage to not break something or ya'll just not telling me?
I was able to completely start the game and create a new map without issue, so... success! (?) I haven't had a chance to dive in any deeper than that to say if any other issues will arise, but will let you know if something does.

viperfan7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by viperfan7 »

When you go get the plates thing figured out, I'm really curious as to how, I've did though the code a little bit and I can't find any reason for it to not be working.

But it's your code, you know it far better than anyone else

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

viperfan7 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:36 am
When you go get the plates thing figured out, I'm really curious as to how, I've did though the code a little bit and I can't find any reason for it to not be working.

But it's your code, you know it far better than anyone else
Right now its loading for me. What all mods are attempting to use when it breaks

viperfan7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by viperfan7 »

Going to trim it down to bobs + angels + py + AAI and test, but here's the list as it stands

Code: Select all

{
  "mods": [
    {
      "name": "base",
      "enabled": true
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-industry",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-industry-sp0",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-programmable-structures",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-programmable-vehicles",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-signals",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-vehicles-chaingunner",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-vehicles-flame-tank",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-vehicles-flame-tumbler",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-vehicles-hauler",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-vehicles-laser-tank",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-vehicles-miner",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-vehicles-warden",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-zones",
    },
    {
      "name": "Actual_Craft_Time",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelsaddons-oresilos",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelsaddons-petrotrain",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelsaddons-pressuretanks",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelsaddons-smeltingtrain",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelsaddons-warehouses",
    },
    {
      "name": "AngelsAddons-WarehouseSiloFix",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelsbioprocessing",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelsindustries",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelsinfiniteores",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelspetrochem",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelsrefining",
    },
    {
      "name": "angelssmelting",
    },
    {
      "name": "autofill",
    },
    {
      "name": "Bio_Industries",
    },
    {
      "name": "BlueprintRemoverRemastered",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobassembly",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobclasses",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobelectronics",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobenemies",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobgreenhouse",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobinserters",
    },
    {
      "name": "boblibrary",
    },
    {
      "name": "boblogistics",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobmining",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobmodules",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobores",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobplates",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobpower",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobrevamp",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobtech",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobvehicleequipment",
    },
    {
      "name": "bobwarfare",
    },
    {
      "name": "Bottleneck",
    },
    {
      "name": "buffer-warehouse",
    },
    {
      "name": "cargo-ships",
    },
    {
      "name": "Clowns-AngelBob-Nuclear",
    },
    {
      "name": "Clowns-Extended-Minerals",
    },
    {
      "name": "Clowns-Locale",
    },
    {
      "name": "Clowns-Nuclear",
    },
    {
      "name": "Clowns-Processing",
    },
    {
      "name": "Clowns-Science",
    },
    {
      "name": "color-coding",
    },
    {
      "name": "compoundsplitters",
    },
    {
      "name": "deadlock-stacking-crating-bobs",
    },
    {
      "name": "DeadlockLoaders",
    },
    {
      "name": "DeadlocksStackingForPyanadon",
    },
    {
      "name": "DeadlockStacking",
    },
    {
      "name": "Dectorio",
    },
    {
      "name": "Dirt_Path_Redux",
    },
    {
      "name": "EvoGUI",
    },
    {
      "name": "extendedangels",
    },
    {
      "name": "Factorissimo2",
    },
    {
      "name": "FARL",
    },
    {
      "name": "Honk",
    },
    {
      "name": "KaoExtended",
    },
    {
      "name": "KaoExtended-electronic-build",
    },
    {
      "name": "Laser_Beam_Turrets",
    },
    {
      "name": "location-combinator",
    },
    {
      "name": "LogisticTrainNetwork",
    },
    {
      "name": "morebobs",
    },
    {
      "name": "nicefill",
    },
    {
      "name": "omnilib",
    },
    {
      "name": "omnimatter",
    },
    {
      "name": "omnimatter_permutation",
    },
    {
      "name": "PickerExtended",
    },
    {
      "name": "PickerPipeTools",
    },
    {
      "name": "pycoalprocessing",
    },
    {
      "name": "PyCoalTBaA",
    },
    {
      "name": "pyfusionenergy",
    },
    {
      "name": "pyhightech",
    },
    {
      "name": "pyindustry",
    },
    {
      "name": "pyrawores",
    },
    {
      "name": "pyscience",
    },
    {
      "name": "radarplus for rso",
    },
    {
      "name": "rso-mod",
    },
    {
      "name": "Sandros-fixes",
    },
    {
      "name": "ShinyAngelGFX",
    },
    {
      "name": "ShinyBobGFX",
    },
    {
      "name": "ShinyIcons",
    },
    {
      "name": "SimpleGodModule",
    },
    {
      "name": "SpaceMod",
    },
    {
      "name": "SpaceXGAR",
    },
    {
      "name": "TheFatController",
    },
    {
      "name": "TimeTools",
    },
    {
      "name": "Todo-List",
    },
    {
      "name": "upgrade-planner",
    },
    {
      "name": "Vehicle Wagon",
    },
    {
      "name": "VehicleGrid",
    },
    {
      "name": "Warehousing",
    },
    {
      "name": "YARM",
    }
  ]
}

Mella
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mella »

kingarthur wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 pm
One little error with recipe locale https://yadi.sk/i/bZkGHRwLsZfVQw

viperfan7
Inserter
Inserter

Post by viperfan7 »

Modlist has been cleaned up a bit

Still getting that error "kaoextended/data-final-fixes.lua:15:kaoextended/structurecomponants/item.lua:80:bad arg #1 to insert(table expected, got nil)"

Code: Select all

{
  "mods": [
    {
      "name": "base",
    },
    {
      "name": "aai-industry",
    },
    {