[MOD 1.1] Xander Mod v3.6.1

Topics and discussion about specific mods
jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15+] Xander Mod v1.3.2 - Now on GitHub

Post by jodokus31 »

Nice, thank you very much. Good to see, that something's happening.
And also thanks for the work towards 0.16. I think it does make sense to copy the objects from base game and only change, what's different. This will reduce a decent chunk of redundant code and improves readability.

I checked my save and i had to call "reset_technology_effects()" for the graphite block to powder recipe to be enabled.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Version 1.4.0 Out

Post by Repofme1 »

Therax wrote:
Repofme1 wrote:As for next steps, my first priority is compatibility with Factorio 0.16, mainly via the GitHub pull request I see from mspielberg. It looks pretty hefty so I don't know how long it'll take.
Many of the problems with 0.16 compatibility are because some of the Lua in the base game entities has been reorganized, such as get_circuit_connector_sprites and conditional_return, and since XM contains the old structure copy-pasted from the 0.15 base entities, these would all have to be changed to align with 0.16. Then again the next time the structure of the base entities changes again. It's a natural issue with how the XM code is structured: copy-pasting base game entities in their entirety, and then changing the few fields you're interested in, generally references to graphics files and a few key stats.

My PR tries to take an alternative approach. In the prototype Lua files, only the changes are listed, and then when the mod loads, the code grabs the relevant entity from the base game, makes a copy of it, and then applies the changes to the copy. This makes them resilient to changes in the base game that XM is not interested in modifying.

I'll work on revising the PR to apply cleanly on top of 1.4.0, or whatever tip of the master branch is on Github. It generally helps me and other contributors if you push your working changes to Github regularly. :)
That new code flow for generating entity prototypes is a lot more logical, it limits problems to only when the base game changes its structure of fields that XM changes. Thanks for putting together the code for that, since I don't really know Lua.

Thanks for the tip about regularly pushing to GitHub, it makes sense now that you point it out. I saw this sort of schedule in your PR as well, I'll have to start doing that myself.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

Gragorath wrote:Mod manager just notified me this project isn't dead after all. That's excellent news! =)
I'll have to take a look at the 1.4.0 update when I get home again.

Really appreciate your work on the mod!
Yes! It would deeply pain me to have to fully stop working on it - sorry that it looked like I dropped it. Next time this happens I'll try to post a notice of it. I'm glad you like it, and thanks for the encouragement :D

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

jodokus31 wrote:Nice, thank you very much. Good to see, that something's happening.
And also thanks for the work towards 0.16. I think it does make sense to copy the objects from base game and only change, what's different. This will reduce a decent chunk of redundant code and improves readability.

I checked my save and i had to call "reset_technology_effects()" for the graphite block to powder recipe to be enabled.
Yep, although thank Therax/mspielberg for the entity clone function, not me :) I just merged it into the latest GitHub version, so XM is now compatible with Factorio 0.16! I think this justifies a new XM update pretty soon.

Oh, the graphite thing was probably a missing migration, I have that on my list to include for the next update.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Xander Mod v1.4.0

Post by jodokus31 »

Thats a lot :). And also thanks to Therax/mspielberg

I took a short look and 2 problems occur (tested with Version 0.16.7):
- On load, factorio complains about missing graphics: graphics\entity\production\boiler-2\E-fire.png etc.
(I copied the ones from base temporary and then it loads. Maybe its a new graphic needed since 0.16.7, because of the copied entities)

- The first impression looks rather good in my current save. However, that standard chem plant now needs coal for fuel.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

jodokus31 wrote:Thats a lot :). And also thanks to Therax/mspielberg

I took a short look and 2 problems occur (tested with Version 0.16.7):
- On load, factorio complains about missing graphics: graphics\entity\production\boiler-2\E-fire.png etc.
(I copied the ones from base temporary and then it loads. Maybe its a new graphic needed since 0.16.7, because of the copied entities)

- The first impression looks rather good in my current save. However, that standard chem plant now needs coal for fuel.
Thanks for the tips, I see both these problems and I'm working on them now for the 1.4.1 bugfix. I encountered the missing boiler graphics when using normal sprite resolution, and I found the cause of the incorrect energy source for the chemical reactors and electrolyzers too.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Update to XM 1.4.1 / Factorio 0.16

Post by Repofme1 »

Hi all -

Mod version 1.4.1 is out, for Factorio version 0.16! My thanks to Therax (mspipelberg on GitHub) for the port, notably writing several functions to base the XM entity prototypes on the existing base game definitions. This fixed the load errors and simplified a lot of redundant code. The rest of the changes are mainly bugfixes, for issues introduced in 0.16 and one or two others.

The detailed changelog is attached to this post.

NOTICE: In the release tagged as 1.4.1 on GitHub, I accidentally forgot to update the mod version number to 1.4.1 in the info.json file. The version number is correct in the mod portal release, which is used by the in-game updater.
New in 1-4-1.txt
Changelog 1.4.0 -> 1.4.1
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Update to XM 1.4.1 / Factorio 0.16

Post by Airat9000 »

2017-12-25_2-22-43.png
2017-12-25_2-22-43.png (19.71 KiB) Viewed 6865 times
Repofme1 wrote:Hi all -

Mod version 1.4.1 is out, for Factorio version 0.16! My thanks to Therax (mspipelberg on GitHub) for the port, notably writing several functions to base the XM entity prototypes on the existing base game definitions. This fixed the load errors and simplified a lot of redundant code. The rest of the changes are mainly bugfixes, for issues introduced in 0.16 and one or two others.

NOTICE: In the release tagged as 1.4.1 on GitHub, I accidentally forgot to update the mod version number to 1.4.1 in the info.json file. The version number is correct in the mod portal release, which is used by the in-game updater.
The attachment New in 1-4-1.txt is no longer available

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Airat9000 wrote:
2017-12-25_2-22-43.png
You have different mod that is removing kovarex enrichment process recipe.

It would seem that either Repofme1 would need to add a lot of checking to his mod for stuff or just assume that Xander mod is not compatible with whatever mod removed the enrichment.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

New in 1-4-1.txt
Works great for me so far. :) I have created my first tungsten blocks, today 8-) , which seems to be the biggest obstacle towards advanced circuits. Hopefully, i manage to get them soon
Repofme1 wrote: I encountered the missing boiler graphics when using normal sprite resolution
Ah, I see. I usually have to play with normal sprites, because my graphic hardware is too weak (only 2 GB VRAM)

donoya
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Xander Mod v1.4.1

Post by donoya »

So for some reason, the collision box for the burner lab is tiny to nonexistent for me. Is anyone else having this problem?

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leoch »

Yes. I tried placing a burner lab, can see it but can't access it, put anything in it or remove it.

I also had compatibility problems with several other mods which needed disabling on start.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

orzelek wrote:
Airat9000 wrote:
2017-12-25_2-22-43.png
You have different mod that is removing kovarex enrichment process recipe.

It would seem that either Repofme1 would need to add a lot of checking to his mod for stuff or just assume that Xander mod is not compatible with whatever mod removed the enrichment.
Incompatibility is correct. This same conflict has arisen at least twice before. I believe the incompatible mod is SigmaOne's nuclear, but without more data in this specific instance I can't be sure.

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

jodokus31 wrote:

New in 1-4-1.txt
Works great for me so far. :) I have created my first tungsten blocks, today 8-) , which seems to be the biggest obstacle towards advanced circuits. Hopefully, i manage to get them soon
Repofme1 wrote: I encountered the missing boiler graphics when using normal sprite resolution
Ah, I see. I usually have to play with normal sprites, because my graphic hardware is too weak (only 2 GB VRAM)
Good to hear! :D My test world is essentially frozen, since I have been spending all my time on development.

I also technically have only 2 GB of video RAM, but somehow I tricked my game into using high-resolution. Not totally sure how... :?

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

donoya wrote:So for some reason, the collision box for the burner lab is tiny to nonexistent for me. Is anyone else having this problem?
leoch wrote:Yes. I tried placing a burner lab, can see it but can't access it, put anything in it or remove it.

I also had compatibility problems with several other mods which needed disabling on start.
Problem confirmed, there is no collision box either. Fixed on my local copy, will be in the next version.

EDIT - for those inclined to tinker with the mod: All that I added are the following two lines of code, in the "lab-1" prototype (near line 185) in Xander-Mod\prototypes\entity\production\production.lua:

collision_box = {{-1.2, -1.2}, {1.2, 1.2}},
selection_box = {{-1.5, -1.5}, {1.5, 1.5}},

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Repofme1 wrote: Good to hear! :D My test world is essentially frozen, since I have been spending all my time on development.

I also technically have only 2 GB of video RAM, but somehow I tricked my game into using high-resolution. Not totally sure how... :?
I also dont have much time for progressing, however, I created the advanced circuit :) I was really surprised that phenol is a solid item, which looks really funny on the belt :D
All those different kinds of waste products are really hard to handle and hydrogen and oxygen is rather rare and hard to balance. I have to look deeper into the recipes, how I can get rid of excess gases. With angels petrochem, there are those flare stacks and overflow valves which would really help. Now, that I have the circuits, I could setup an logistic system with LTN (Logistic train network) trains and carry fluids/gases with barrels. (Maybe it could make sense to allow barreling with assembly machine 1, too, because in retrospective that may have helped on the journey to advanced circuits) I'm curious, how things will balance out. However, this will take a looong time...

I also could play with hi-res, if I ignore the warning, but it doesnt perform well UPS/FPS-wise on my system.

DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DarkyPupu »

Hi there,

I would like to play with big research multiplier (x100 or more, ultimately max is 1000...), since my server is running all the time it's not a problem on the long run - just a matter or patience and optimizations :p . However, the fact that coal miner is locked behind a research makes this first step nearly impossible to do. I don't mind crafting by hand for research materials as you can just plan it and leave, however mining thousands of materials by hand is way too tedious. Would it be possible to remove the coal miner from research and be able to craft it from start ? It doesn't make sense that it's locked anyway since you have some in your inventory... Another solution would be to start with more miners.

Any thoughts ?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

I really like it, that the miner is behind a research, because it makes them a lot more valueable.
I also think, that this mod is already marathon style and very challenging, even without such a high multiplier, that your request seems a bit extraordinary.
However, you could cheat a bit f.e. with Item Giver Gui (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/coltonj96/ItemGiverGui) and get some additional resources for the first research...
Or you could edit the mod slightly and set the tech to enabled.
I would recommend, to play the mod without multiplier, if you didn't play it yet
Just my opinion.

DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DarkyPupu »

It's what i do actually, to unlock it in the mod already. But i don't see the logic locking the miner and not belt / inserter then :)
I really appreciate the mod anyway, it's just that without a big multiplier on a always running server it becomes really way too trivial to do research even mid game.

Only problems playing like that so far are only in early game : when there is a totally impossible thing to do manually (basically it's the miner/belt/inserter trio when locked behind a research) and the ennemies which can cause trouble. Apart from that it's pretty enjoyable if you're masochist :lol:

Repofme1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Repofme1 »

jodokus31 wrote:I really like it, that the miner is behind a research, because it makes them a lot more valueable.
I also think, that this mod is already marathon style and very challenging, even without such a high multiplier, that your request seems a bit extraordinary.
However, you could cheat a bit f.e. with Item Giver Gui (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/coltonj96/ItemGiverGui) and get some additional resources for the first research...
Or you could edit the mod slightly and set the tech to enabled.
I would recommend, to play the mod without multiplier, if you didn't play it yet
Just my opinion.
DarkyPupu wrote: It's what i do actually, to unlock it in the mod already. But i don't see the logic locking the miner and not belt / inserter then :)
I really appreciate the mod anyway, it's just that without a big multiplier on a always running server it becomes really way too trivial to do research even mid game.

Only problems playing like that so far are only in early game : when there is a totally impossible thing to do manually (basically it's the miner/belt/inserter trio when locked behind a research) and the ennemies which can cause trouble. Apart from that it's pretty enjoyable if you're masochist :lol:
An interesting situation, like jodokus31 said it's a bit unusual. It's mainly an issue of play style, which is kind of hard to address. I like some manual start to the game, where you have to mine and craft a bit by hand, because it makes the automation feel more rewarding. By starting off lower, the height of achievement in the rest of the game is relatively higher by comparison. I can see why this would be a problem with such a high technology cost multiplier, a few months ago some people commented that it was difficult even with a multiplier of 5. Without a multiplier of a few in the base game (or marathon mode, or something similar), it does become boring, but the greatly expanded game progression in Xander Mod includes its own marathon-like scale and difficulty. That's why I also recommend playing a relatively 'normal' game first, without a constantly-up server. That strategy increases the need for mid-game marathon difficulty even more, in a base game which already has a significant need for marathon difficulty. I didn't design the mod for really high marathon difficulty, so the trouble in this case isn't too surprising after thinking about it.

Some specifics: The burner inserter and slow belt are unlocked to begin with because they are not as complex as the mining drill, and they are needed to craft the basic burner lab. The enemies and weapons is an area, that I haven't been able to balance yet, because of all my time going to developing features and fixing bugs, like broken advancement progression.

Return to “Mods”