[MOD 0.15] Will-o'-the-wisps

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Betep3akata
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Will-o'-the-wisps

Post by Betep3akata »

steinio wrote: Oh yes i checked it quicklyand i have the same values.
Seems i have just a lot of these.
UVLAMP.png
Greetings steinio
I'm shocked by the number of UVs:)
I will reduce the value of drain in the next release because this difficulty is not the intentional one.

Thanks for the feedback and the stress testing)
My mods: Scorched Earth, Will-o-the-wisps
//My nickname is some kind of transliteration from Cyrillic to Latin. Betep3akata stands for WindOfSunset.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Betep3akata wrote:
steinio wrote: Oh yes i checked it quicklyand i have the same values.
Seems i have just a lot of these.
UVLAMP.png
Greetings steinio
I'm shocked by the number of UVs:)
I will reduce the value of drain in the next release because this difficulty is not the intentional one.

Thanks for the feedback and the stress testing)
You don't need to.
It's just my spamming them everywhere :)

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

leoch
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leoch »

Very fun mod, thanks :D

I haven't bothered with UV lights myself. There isn't usually a lot of damage, and bots repair it quickly.

Best memory is accidentally setting fire to a forest at night, while in a tank with the vehicle turrets mod. Hundreds of yellow wisps hunting me and rockets flying everywhere! Sorry, forgot the screenshot :D

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Will-o'-the-wisps

Post by mk-fg »

Did update mod to be compatible with 0.16.x, reduced UV lamp excessive power use (400 kW -> 80 kW, still on-par with mining drills and such) and republished it as "Will-o'-the-Wisps updated" mod here: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Will-o-the-Wisps_updated
License seem to permit it, hope you don't mind, as otherwise it seem to be abandoned for like a year now, which is a shame for such a great-looking mod.
Playing with it myself, will see if any other tweaks or updates might come to mind.

Betep3akata
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Betep3akata »

mk-fg wrote:Did update mod to be compatible with 0.16.x, reduced UV lamp excessive power use (400 kW -> 80 kW, still on-par with mining drills and such) and republished it as "Will-o'-the-Wisps updated" mod here: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Will-o-the-Wisps_updated
License seem to permit it, hope you don't mind, as otherwise it seem to be abandoned for like a year now, which is a shame for such a great-looking mod.
Playing with it myself, will see if any other tweaks or updates might come to mind.
Hi,
great work! Particularly that memory leak found! Thanks for your effort in keeping this mod alive. I had not had enough time to update it after finding some desync problems in latest versions of .15.

And I have not any plans to update my branch of this mod in the future because trying to spend all my spare time on another project which somewhat connected with the Wisps:)

Thanks,
Alex

P.S.:
I cannot recall if I leave some traces of the next update proposal in the code of the last released version.
As an idea:
It was supposed for the Purple Wisps that they can attach to the power poles (as a turret entity) and after that, they stealing energy and attacking approaching player. This attached Blue wisps should be minable as an alien artifact and destructible by turrets.

One of the goals of creating this mod was to reduce the attractiveness of solar energy by adding some maintenance costs. The idea above, in its turn, aimed to add some power leaks to long energy transmission lines which grow in time without maintenance.
My mods: Scorched Earth, Will-o-the-wisps
//My nickname is some kind of transliteration from Cyrillic to Latin. Betep3akata stands for WindOfSunset.

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

Oh, I didn't get why they had bonus vs solar panels and affected (some) poles in particular, but that makes sense.
I thought of them as more of a deterrent against rampant deforestation and defoliation (due to pollution), and rewritten chunk/forest tracking algo to track forests around chunks with pollution specifically, and spawn wisps there.

There is indeed a code for attached wisps, which sounds like a good idea in the context of solar/transmission costs.
It was disabled by config.experimental and I'll need to re-add and test that code a bunch, but sounds like a good goal in addition to one above.

Should probably document both these general goals in the mod description too.
EDIT: also made a proper feedback forum thread for the updated version.

Again, thanks for making this great mod, and best of luck with the current project.

Return to “Mods”