[MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Post Reply
User avatar
Earendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

[MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:10 am

Title: Alien Biomes
Short Description: A collection of additional biomes: Snow, Red Desert, Tundra, Savanna, Scarlet Grassland, Brown Cracked Earth, Frozen Desert, Blue Grasslands / Marsh, Purple Grassland, Golden Grassland... 29 in total. Includes new tree and doodad variants. Most new textures are recolors.
Name: alien-biomes
Factorio Version: 0.14
Mod State: Beta
Dependencies: Base, Water Fix
Author: Earendel
Downloads: Mod Portal
If you need to regenerate terrain after changing your mod setup, use: Regenerate Terrain
snow.png
snow.png (128.94 KiB) Viewed 14911 times
blue-woods.png
blue-woods.png (219.03 KiB) Viewed 14911 times
purple-woods.png
purple-woods.png (202.86 KiB) Viewed 14911 times
red-grassland.png
red-grassland.png (171.03 KiB) Viewed 14911 times
red-desert.png
red-desert.png (139.19 KiB) Viewed 14911 times
volcanic.png
volcanic.png (192.31 KiB) Viewed 14148 times
firtree.png
firtree.png (220.09 KiB) Viewed 14148 times
Last edited by Earendel on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wildejackson
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:40 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Wildejackson » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:48 am

Holy crap, you are a machine! Gives some much needed variation! Would it be possible to make it so ores are allocated to specific biomes? Like Iron in the desert and Coal and Gold in the forest?

User avatar
Earendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:43 am

Probably, but I won't be doing that as part of this mod.

The biome placement is based on the existing temperature and humidity noise layers so it should be a case of adding the same settings to the resource. I image that it would make resource availability very erratic though.

User avatar
PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:06 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by PeteTheLich » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:38 pm

Hey this is pretty neat!

I've been working with Tone on the More Floors mod and was wondering if you would like to have the biome tiles incorporated into the More Floors mod so people can edit the biomes in game.

User avatar
Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 4:55 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Mooncat » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:38 am

Hi Earendel, this mod looks nice and interesting, so I have tried this.
Unfortunately, when I moved across a big blue forest, FPS dropped to 10.
Is it a known issue? Since the trees are just the vanilla ones with tinted colors, I guess it is an issue in the engine? :?

User avatar
Earendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Mooncat wrote:Hi Earendel, this mod looks nice and interesting, so I have tried this.
Unfortunately, when I moved across a big blue forest, FPS dropped to 10.
Is it a known issue? Since the trees are just the vanilla ones with tinted colors, I guess it is an issue in the engine? :?
That is not a known issue. I have never seen that, in testing the fps never goes below 60. The mod at this point is just recolors and some altered autoplace settings. The only thing I can think of is that some of the doodad densities might be higher if the blue doodads overlap some vanilla doodads.

Did you have other mods installed when you got the fps drop?

User avatar
Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 4:55 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Mooncat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:45 pm

Earendel wrote:
Mooncat wrote:Hi Earendel, this mod looks nice and interesting, so I have tried this.
Unfortunately, when I moved across a big blue forest, FPS dropped to 10.
Is it a known issue? Since the trees are just the vanilla ones with tinted colors, I guess it is an issue in the engine? :?
That is not a known issue. I have never seen that, in testing the fps never goes below 60. The mod at this point is just recolors and some altered autoplace settings. The only thing I can think of is that some of the doodad densities might be higher if the blue doodads overlap some vanilla doodads.

Did you have other mods installed when you got the fps drop?
Yes, I have other mods... but I can't think of any of them that can affect FPS like that, only when I move across the blue forest but not other places... anyway, I will check about the mods. Thanks for the answer. ;)

User avatar
Earendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Mooncat wrote:
Earendel wrote:
Mooncat wrote:Hi Earendel, this mod looks nice and interesting, so I have tried this.
Unfortunately, when I moved across a big blue forest, FPS dropped to 10.
Is it a known issue? Since the trees are just the vanilla ones with tinted colors, I guess it is an issue in the engine? :?
That is not a known issue. I have never seen that, in testing the fps never goes below 60. The mod at this point is just recolors and some altered autoplace settings. The only thing I can think of is that some of the doodad densities might be higher if the blue doodads overlap some vanilla doodads.

Did you have other mods installed when you got the fps drop?
Yes, I have other mods... but I can't think of any of them that can affect FPS like that, only when I move across the blue forest but not other places... anyway, I will check about the mods. Thanks for the answer. ;)
If you send me the map I can take a look.

User avatar
Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 4:55 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Mooncat » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:41 am

Earendel wrote:
Mooncat wrote:
Earendel wrote:
Mooncat wrote:Hi Earendel, this mod looks nice and interesting, so I have tried this.
Unfortunately, when I moved across a big blue forest, FPS dropped to 10.
Is it a known issue? Since the trees are just the vanilla ones with tinted colors, I guess it is an issue in the engine? :?
That is not a known issue. I have never seen that, in testing the fps never goes below 60. The mod at this point is just recolors and some altered autoplace settings. The only thing I can think of is that some of the doodad densities might be higher if the blue doodads overlap some vanilla doodads.

Did you have other mods installed when you got the fps drop?
Yes, I have other mods... but I can't think of any of them that can affect FPS like that, only when I move across the blue forest but not other places... anyway, I will check about the mods. Thanks for the answer. ;)
If you send me the map I can take a look.
Unfortunately, I can't. I didn't save it because it was just a random test on mod compatibilities. But thanks. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Earendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Version 0.1.4 now has snow footstep sounds.

BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:45 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by BlackHat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:33 am

Does it do anything other that Visuals?
Do the various Biomes have any other impact in the game?
(For example Walking speed reduced in Snowy biomes, Purple Forest has double Pollution absorption, etc.)

User avatar
Earendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:07 pm

BlackHat wrote:Does it do anything other that Visuals?
Do the various Biomes have any other impact in the game?
(For example Walking speed reduced in Snowy biomes, Purple Forest has double Pollution absorption, etc.)
Running speed on all cracked earth and tundra tiles has been increased. Running and vehicle speed on snow is slightly slower than sand, but feels even slower if you go from cracked earth to snow because of the sudden difference.

All of the grasslands and savanna have the same pollution absorption of grass, all the others are a bit lower.

The biggest pollution absorption factor is trees. Tree density overall is less than vanilla so pollution absorption is less. Hot, cold, and dry areas have reduced tree density.

Pollution absorption of water has been increased slightly.

Wildejackson
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:40 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Wildejackson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:13 am

I am having an issue updating the mod on an existing save (one that has an older version of Alien Biomes). I did not notice any visual seams, but the water from the old seed seems to be placed differently in the new seed, and trees / alien nests seem to form in water. Is there any migration script or similar that would fix this? (Or must I just stay with the old version without the snow footsteps?)

User avatar
Earendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Wildejackson wrote:I am having an issue updating the mod on an existing save (one that has an older version of Alien Biomes). I did not notice any visual seams, but the water from the old seed seems to be placed differently in the new seed, and trees / alien nests seem to form in water. Is there any migration script or similar that would fix this? (Or must I just stay with the old version without the snow footsteps?)
I'm looking into this now. I can't think of any changes to this mod that would explain what you described, but I just had a thought. I've just fixed a bug with the 'walls-block-spitters' mod where I had accidentally removed the water tile collision from trees, spawners, worms, and biters. That would mean that they can spawn there and would create an effect similar to your description. Do you also have the walls-block-spitters version 0.1.1 installed? If so walls-block-spitters version 0.1.2 fixes the problem.

Wildejackson
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:40 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Wildejackson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:48 am

Earendel wrote: I'm looking into this now. I can't think of any changes to this mod that would explain what you described, but I just had a thought. I've just fixed a bug with the 'walls-block-spitters' mod where I had accidentally removed the water tile collision from trees, spawners, worms, and biters. That would mean that they can spawn there and would create an effect similar to your description. Do you also have the walls-block-spitters version 0.1.1 installed? If so walls-block-spitters version 0.1.2 fixes the problem.

Yep, turns out it was the spitter's mod that was the culprit. Funny, I added that mod thinking it wouldn't impact worldgen at all, and that the biomes mod would be the one to mess with the generation. Thanks for the fix anyway Earendel!

User avatar
Earendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:15 pm

Wildejackson wrote:Yep, turns out it was the spitter's mod that was the culprit. Funny, I added that mod thinking it wouldn't impact worldgen at all, and that the biomes mod would be the one to mess with the generation. Thanks for the fix anyway Earendel!
Luckily someone else had recently reported the bug on the other mod, otherwise it would have been extremely confusing.

User avatar
Earendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:47 am

Version 0.1.5 has been released.

Added 3 Volcanic Tilesets for the volcanic biome.

All biomes (including vanilla land tiles) now have the missing u and o variants, which means that you don't get the weirdness that can happen in vanilla when you place flooring near a biome transition.

All tiles now have locale strings.

All tiles (including vanilla) now have order strings so they are in a sensible order in the map editor.

The volcanic biome is at the maximum end of the temperature range. If you update on an existing map then some areas of Scarlet Savanna, Red Cracked Earth, or Red Desert might have a sudden transition to the volcanic biome when new chunks are generated.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by IronCartographer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:12 am

Earendel wrote:The volcanic biome is at the maximum end of the temperature range. If you update on an existing map then some areas of Scarlet Savanna, Red Cracked Earth, or Red Desert might have a sudden transition to the volcanic biome when new chunks are generated.
Could be interesting to have volcanic in slightly smaller temperature ranges but on both extreme ends of the spectrum, resulting in high-elevation volcanoes surrounded by snow.

User avatar
Earendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:34 am

IronCartographer wrote:
Earendel wrote:The volcanic biome is at the maximum end of the temperature range. If you update on an existing map then some areas of Scarlet Savanna, Red Cracked Earth, or Red Desert might have a sudden transition to the volcanic biome when new chunks are generated.
Could be interesting to have volcanic in slightly smaller temperature ranges but on both extreme ends of the spectrum, resulting in high-elevation volcanoes surrounded by snow.
There is an elevation layer, so I could use that too. It would be difficult to stop trees from growing on it if I do that though, currently the tree types only care about temperature and humidity.

xeln4g4
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:42 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by xeln4g4 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Congratulation for this mod! It's such a great addition to the game, add variation and nice looking landscape!!! Keep improving! I wonder why it has so few download!!!! Its the one mod that really change your gaming experience with only graphics!

Post Reply

Return to “Mods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users