[MOD 0.10.x] Telelogistics v0.2.4

Topics and discussion about specific mods
darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.10.x] Telelogistics v0.2.4

Post by darius456 »

Hello everybody its me again ;)

I will introduce you next mod... This time its telelogistics.
In a short... teleport + inserter = telelogistics

This mod adds only two new items. Teleinserter MK1 to 4 and telechest. Teleinserter is a device build on inserter platform. Telechest is little modified iron chest.

To make my mod work you have to do few things:
  1. Do proper research
  2. Build tele-things
  3. Hover mouse button over teleinserter to activate settings menu
  4. Press "Connect to output" button, and then hover mouse over next teleinserter or telechest to connect them or select item from menu
  5. Set proper filter by pressing textfield - this will open the filter menu
  6. Power it up
Teleinserter settings menu:

Waiting for connection.

After connected few devices:

Filter menu:

All menu are opened by hovering mouse over tele-device... like all my mods... hovering is the best :)

Waiting for connection is limited in time to about 500 ticks = 8 seconds after that you have to click the proper button once again

If you want to disconnect any device you can do in on two ways:
1. Go to "Input" device and use "disconnect form output" button to disconnect last device
2. Go to "output" device (device can be output only for one input) and press the same button, this will disconnect this output device from input device and update input device connection list.

To open filter menu simply click on name bellow FILTER label. This will automatically open filter menu. You don't have to close and open again this menu to set filter to next output, simply click on next textfield. Current textfield has red text.

TeleChest MK 1 to 3:
Image Image Image

Teleinserter MK 1 to 4: - yes yes I know... inserter without arms

There is no limit to the distance between teledevices... but considering its setting.
Each teleinserter has different speed... MK4 is really fast.
Each teleinserter has different max number of possible connections... its equal to its level.
If you set only one output device (no matter input device level) you don't have to set filter... it will teleport everything... filter work only after device connected is 2 or more.

Since you can connect up to 4 devices to teleinserter mk4, and you can set proper filter to all of them, you can simply segregate items from transport belt to 4 different chests or teleinserters or mixed.

REMEMBER... teleinserter work exactly the same as normal inserter... it has input and output site... output site is teleported to other place, but input site is still there, so if you set teleinserter as output but place chest or transport belt next to its input place it will take item from there... consider it as a bug... to be resolved by somebody with knowledge

If You have any questions please feel free to ask... if you like it or no please live a comment... maybe I can improve it somehow.

Since v0.1.1 power consumption depends on the distance between input device and its outputs. Maximum distance is 256, and it is not possible to exceed it. If You try to connect new device and overall distance will be greater then 256 you will see this in the console: "CAN NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE - DISTANCE GREATER THAN 256"

Power Consumption vs distance:
MK1 - BLUE
MK2 - RED
MK3 - GREY
MK4 - YELLOW

New device added. Device Called Teleporter and proper technology were added.
To use teleporter simply build it and step on the device. This device has no collision box, so its transparent for the player. When you enter the platform it start glowing green, and menu appear.
To perform teleportation you have to build at least 2 devices.
Each teleporter need energy to jump. In menu You can see how much energy it will cost. After selecting destination point teleport will start to charge.
Teleport energy slow decreasing when devices are on stand by.
Max power usage is 5MW while powering up, and 125kW when stand by.
To perform teleportation simply click on device name.
Device name can be changed by clicking text field.

Menu:

Teleporter device:
Stand by:
Stand by (player on it):
Powering up/waiting for teleportation:

CHANGELOG
Attachments
Telelogistics v0.2.4.zip
(280.93 KiB) Downloaded 965 times
Telelogistics v0.2.3.zip
(279.61 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Telelogistics v0.1.12fix.zip
Fixed zip file with entity.lua and proper graphic... in the glory of my sclerosis!
(278.19 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Last edited by darius456 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:46 am, edited 33 times in total.
Lenovo Y580 8GB Ram GF660m 128GB SSD W7

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.x] Telelogistics v0.1.0

Post by slay_mithos »

It seems like a nice idea for doing basically the same basic thing as logistic robots, but I have one question.

Is the energy cost dependant on the distance?

Because if not, it's not a mod for me, because it conflicts with the very idea of using trains.
If it is, then the trains and belts might still be good for long distance, and the inserters better to keep the factory cleaner, and that could definitely be a mod I would enjoy a lot.

Anyway, the idea is really nice, I sure hope it can bridge the gap between the normal belt+inserter and logistic bots, as it would make the transition a lot smoother with a stage in the middle.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

slay_mithos wrote:Is the energy cost dependant on the distance?
I don't thing it is possible right now, because all energy consumption values are stored in Prototype Definitions and I think that I can't change it from lua script. If I'm wrong please tell me, because this is very nice idea.

I thing that power consumption should increase with distance between devices, and devices connections number, but I thing this is not possible (right now). The "teleport field" should be a nice replacement for this... something similar to logistic roboport but without robots :)
slay_mithos wrote:...conflicts with the very idea of using trains.
I thought about that and I thing that max distance limit would be nice, or I can create a new type of building that consume energy and create "teleport field" in which range tele-devices work. Its up to You.
slay_mithos wrote:Anyway, the idea is really nice, I sure hope it can bridge the gap between the normal belt+inserter and logistic bots, as it would make the transition a lot smoother with a stage in the middle.
I thought that this mod could be high end technology, not mid, but it is up to You, it can be balanced this way or another. I thing that it can be "little" unbalanced right now.

Thx for comments.

Edited... Definitely not possible... LINK

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

darius456 wrote:I don't thing it is possible right now, because all energy consumption values are stored in Prototype Definitions and I think that I can't change it from lua script. If I'm wrong please tell me, because this is very nice idea.
Actually, you can use entity.energy (it is the energy buffer of a machine), now the problem might be getting the energy buffer to be large enough to actually support the max distance (and not actually use that amount of energy on it's own)...

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

FreeER wrote:
darius456 wrote:I don't thing it is possible right now, because all energy consumption values are stored in Prototype Definitions and I think that I can't change it from lua script. If I'm wrong please tell me, because this is very nice idea.
Actually, you can use entity.energy (it is the energy buffer of a machine), now the problem might be getting the energy buffer to be large enough to actually support the max distance (and not actually use that amount of energy on it's own)...
I will take a closer look at this... Thx for help.

When I read entity.energy it take olny 2 values... 0 or 5600... when I try to change it, energy become equal to 5600 when I write value >=1 or equal to 0 when I write value 0. So how I should use it?

After some tests... it is possible to do what slay_mithos asking for... so wait for update.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Found a bug, reproduced several time with the same result.
Put chest on ground, hold cursor on it until gui window show up and then mine that chest.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

Neotix wrote:Found a bug, reproduced several time with the same result.
Put chest on ground, hold cursor on it until gui window show up and then mine that chest.
Sorry for this bug, I will fix it in next relese... Tomorrow... Try the same with teleinserter should be the same error.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

Is the energy cost dependant on the distance?
Answear is YES, but I will need your opinion...

I have to set distance limit... I thought about 256 what do you think? Distance is sum of distances between input inserter and it's outputs. After this distance power consumption is constant.
Should I prevent connecting devices after reaching distance limit?

I thought that distance vs power shouldn't be linear. I thought about expotential.... What do you think about that? Different power consumption every single meter.

What should be maximum power consumption at max distance. Currently it is 16MW at distance 256. Too much, too low, what do you think?

Power consumption vs distance:

Values at Axis Y are linear scale

Values at Axis Y are log scale

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

First, I also prefer the exponential curve, it lets you have a relatively low cost at low distance, while getting really pricey for long distances.

As for the maxes, 256 tiles is nice, but 16MW per use might be too high, even if it was able to move a full stack at a time.

Now, I'm not the best person for balancing things properly, but I'd say something closer to 100-200 kW per move would already make it costly enough to warrant other ways of moving items closer for large amounts, while still being affordable for rarer items.

Basically, you need to decide what uses (if any) of the inserter should be really affordable (lots of them in a big factory), what should pose the question of using something else (bots, belts, trains, regular inserters...), and what should be reserved to people having way too much power production (nearly nobody).
You have to remember that an inserter could be used multiple times per second, so only put costs above the 10kW mark for things that you think should be reserved to lower uses or higher tech level.

If it was only me deciding, I'd say to put the 10k on a distance of 50 or so, but once again, I'm bad at balancing, plus it's your mod, so it's only natural that you are the one deciding what is or is not a good advice.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

Hmm I think that 100-200kW isn't much since v0.9.0 all power values are multiplied by 1000 ( k kilo), so steam turbine produces 510kW... And smart inserter consume 44kW. I rather thought that 16MW will be to low. Thx for your opinion, waiting for others.

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

oh, you are right, sorry.
Played way too much 0.8.8 and I didn't notice the change.
In which case your 16MW is way lower than what I envisioned.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

May by you will propose some equation? Or some max value at least. :-)

16MW/510kW = 31,37 ~ 32 Devices... 32 steam generator are required to produce enough power to power up one teleinserter at max distance... I think that it is a lot... but still waiting for players opinion.

Deathmage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Deathmage »

I'd say 16MW is fair, although im mid-late game and my solars out put that in day. However if you have a massive factory they might be useful. :shock:
Secondly I'd say make it raise ever block something mathsy I dont know how to make a total raise in a curve. But making it raise the further you get away would be good.
Sorry if this sounds like nonsence but yea :?

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.x] Telelogistics v0.1.1

Post by darius456 »

New version added in 1st post.
See changelog for details.

Edit 1:
I think there can be a bug. If you researched everything in v0.1.0 and updated to v0.1.1 you might not seen tele-chest mk 2 and 3. I will try to update and fix it tomorrow.

Cyro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.9.x] Telelogistics v0.1.2

Post by Cyro »

Seems like the mod wont work with the latest version of Factorio ?
Whenever I try to start the game it says: "Path_Telelogistics_/graphics/entity/tele-chest/tele-chest-mk1.png doesnt match any mod."

If you know a fix for this problem, please tell me.

Thx.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

Cyro wrote:Seems like the mod wont work with the latest version of Factorio ?
Whenever I try to start the game it says: "Path_Telelogistics_/graphics/entity/tele-chest/tele-chest-mk1.png doesnt match any mod."

If you know a fix for this problem, please tell me.

Thx.
  • Copy Telelogistics v0.1.2.zip to mods folder
  • Rename Telelogistics v0.1.2.zip to Telelogistics.zip or extract Telelogistics folder.

Gonozal
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gonozal »

Seems like there is another small but annoying bug:

When I install the mod all filtert options for the smart inserter are filled with near endless copies of the MK2 and MK3 tele inserter.

I'm using the latest version of Factorio.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

Gonozal wrote:Seems like there is another small but annoying bug:

When I install the mod all filtert options for the smart inserter are filled with near endless copies of the MK2 and MK3 tele inserter.

Link. If you know how to fix it please tell me.

nullvoid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nullvoid »

darius456 wrote:
Gonozal wrote:Seems like there is another small but annoying bug:

Link. If you know how to fix it please tell me.
I made a suggestion for scroll bars inspired by this very problem

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

nullvoid wrote:Maybe this is solvable using the recipe hiding that was added recently, but that will not always be applicable.
Where have you found information about that? Nevermind I found it on the wiki.
Last edited by darius456 on Wed May 07, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mods”