[MOD 0.14-1.0]Helmod: Assistant to plan its base.

Topics and discussion about specific mods
GluAp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14-1.0]Helmod: Assistant to plan its base.

Post by GluAp »

Hello Helfima (and KiwiHawk?).

It's been a long time since I last commented on Helmod. I recently started playing factorio again and helmod got updated to version 1.x since.
I really appreciate you working and improving on Helmod. I like the general idea with using the new tree structured view very much.

But to be honest - I got confused and either it's me not understanding how to use it, or maybe it can be made better.
So I'd like to contribute a little bit by politely giving my thoughts about what could be improved.

I don't want to be rude, but focused, short and on point, so that's how I will be writing it.
And most important: I couldn't do any better myself and I like using Helmod.

Help/Documentation

With Ver.1.x the Help/Documentation for the mod seems to be outdated on many parts and in general not to be in a good shape.
The way it is structured can be improved a lot. Many parts are overloaded. Other parts should be split in smaller parts.
There is inconsitent usage of terms (production line/block, factory etc..) on many occasions and flawed language in general. I'm not a native english speaker and I know that this is a lot of work.
Preview pictures are outdated. Examples are missing, explanations many times not useful or completly missing for new features (what is 'deep count'?).
The Help panel could use horizontal screen space better, by aligning pictures to the left and text/annotations to the right.
Does factorio support GIF pictures in the help documentation?

Of cause it is obviously better to finalize the functionality of the mod and redo the documentation afterwards, when features are finished and locked.
If you would like some help or more concrete feedback, maybe I could find some time.

Main Panel / Child-Block

There is an inconsistency in the Main Panel when using child-block for recipe calculations.
Let me show you. With this example I'm playing Industrial Revolution 3.
Current0_.png
Current0_.png (177.51 KiB) Viewed 194 times
What you see is:
1.row: main production block recipe for "basic computers"
2.-4.row: child-blocks for the 3 ingriedients.

I took me a while to understand what the meaning of the numbers in the recipe collum for row 2-4 is. Especially because in this example they are right and wrong at the same time ;)
The mistake lies in row 4: 40 glass plates and 32 copper ingots will make for 16 green circuits but not by using 18 machines. Let's have a look the child-block for green circuits...
Current2_.png
Current2_.png (200.31 KiB) Viewed 194 times
Well - this looks right. More or less.
I designed this block to fabricate 5 green ciruits from 12.5 glass and 10 copper ingots using 18 machines. Basically I limited the output to 5 green circuits.
So now I understand that the 3.2 is a multiplier for the child-block, as 5 * 3.2 = 16.
But the amount of machines is not correct, because it wasn't multiplied by the blockfactor.
If we look at the child block, we can see it has 18 machines but the power doesn't add up to 5.7MW.
The total for the whole production line should be 58 machines @ 5.7MW. The total for the whole production line should be 103 machines @ 9.8MW

That's when I tried the 'display deep count':
Current1_.png
Current1_.png (203.05 KiB) Viewed 194 times
Current3_.png
Current3_.png (223.4 KiB) Viewed 194 times
First: This is a super nice feature. It is exactly what I had in mind, when I made the suggestion for the assembler limitation feature some time ago. Thank you very much for finally implementing this in this way. In a way I guess that makes the assembler limitation superfluous, so maybe it can be removed?

Other than that, I marked what shows the wrong values. Further I made crosses which values are imo obsolete.

I believe it to be more useful when using the deep count view, that the first row shows the constrained/limited child-block values and the second row the values multiplied by the blockmultiplier (in my example, 3.2).
If not using the deep count view, I'd recommend to use the total values (total #machines, total power, total in/output items) for the production line overview and the restricted values in the corresponding child-block.

I have no idea what the clear button is supposed to do. When I use it, it just sets the output to 0 but the recipe in this case always calculates to an output of 1 anyway. What's the point?

Furthermore it might be a good idea to implement a (optional?) ceiling function on block-multipliers and for the calculation of the amount of total machines needed, too.
Let's say I want to produce a green circuit, I need 1 assembler for this and assume my child-block is exactly this one assembler. But now my production line need's 1.5 green circuits. I can't build half of an assembler and have to build 2 anyways. So I would like Helmod to tell me to built two blocks.
For child-blocks my argument is that I would try to get the whole block to some nice and buildable ratio, next I blueprint it and I always put down a whole blueprint.

This example shows the problem of not using a ceiling function clearly: You can't have this like this.
Current4_.png
Current4_.png (116.12 KiB) Viewed 194 times
So far this has been a lot. And I really hope that my description is good enough for you to follow my thoughts and I can convince you to think about changing it.

Again: Thank you for working on this mod, it helps a lot.
Cheers

ColdGate
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ColdGate »

Hello! Thanks for this mod!

Helmod used with Pyanodon full suite latest.
Confirm all from above post related to factory count calculation, looks like it broken with latest update.
Also now broken computing by input. After switch computing mode to "by Input", I'm unable to enter input count - input items icon is yellow and not clickable, instead green clickable.

pulli23
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pulli23 »

After a year I played again, however I notice that for all my production lines helmod is trying to increase the "count" of the subassemblies..

This is not what I want, I want a count of "1", even if it means I have some extra input/output that I handle myself (using transport methods), I wish to see how much those numbers are.

how can I force that "1.1" to be just "1"?

Return to “Mods”