[MOD 0.13.x] Dynamic Train Stop

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Aladrius
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.13.x] Dynamic Train Stop

Post by Aladrius »

Train station that renames itself using circuit network input.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Aladrius ... train-stop

To forestall the inevitable "just use smart trains" replies, yes, I know smart trains will do all this and more. I wanted a lighter weight alternative that leverages the existing train route logic and lends itself to more in-game creative solutions.

Lamp coloring uses any "color" signal of 1 or more, and preferences them in order of appearance in the signals menu.

Research "Dynamic Train Stops", requires Automated Rail & Circuit Network

To use the renaming function, two things are required:

1> Build a Dynamic Train Stop called "DynamicControl" This can be anywhere on the map -- don't use it for a route destination. I suggest a lonely 1-chunk length of rail connected to nothing for it. Only one Controller station is required for any number of Dynamic Stops.

2> Name your station With a | (pipe) character in it. Anything before the | is preserved, after will be written by the train station logic. Stations with no color signal will drop the portion after the |. For example: a station named Iron| with a signal of 1 Red will be updated to Iron|Red, 1 Green to Iron|Green. As with the lamps, Red wins over Green if both are present.

Notes:
The DynamicControl stop is destroyed/replaced each time another station changes name. You might hear the placement 'whump' if you're in the area.
Station names are updated every 30 ticks (1/2 second) while the circuit network is updated each tick. If you have a train departing a station on the same signal that set its next stop name, it will depart slightly prior to its next stop being valid, and ignore the stop. Incorporate a small delay to work around this.

A couple quick examples of how I'm using it:

1> Outposts. Along my border walls, roboports are supplied with a mix of items by a dedicated supply train, basically directly following the Friday Facts setup:

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-140

Instead of having the train mindlessly loop each outpost in sequence, I name them all Outpost|
If the quantity on hand of any item drops below 1/2 of the desired quantity, combinators send 1 Red to the station, name becomes Outpost|Red
Supply train has two stops in its route, "Resupply" where it gets stocked with goodies, and "Outpost|Red". It will sit at "Resupply" until an "Outpost|" station changes its name, at which point it will depart for the "Outpost|Red" station.

2> Multiple mines supplying a smelter. Train has a schedule of "IronSmelt" and "Iron|Green". Station uses # of ore on hand, and sets Green = 1 when Iron Ore > 1500. Train only departs the smelter station when there is a good chunk of ore to pick up.

Thanks to Schorty's Pollution Detector and Choumiko's Smart Trains mods, both were invaluable for figuring out how to make things work.
Last edited by Aladrius on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lethys
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.x] Dynamic Train Stop

Post by Lethys »

Sounds like a great mod, already thought of lots of ways to use it. :)

One thing though; the "DynamicController" actually has to be called "DynamicControl". I was wondering why it wasn't working for me and checked the code for the fix. Please update it here and on the mods website!

Aladrius
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.x] Dynamic Train Stop

Post by Aladrius »

Lethys wrote:Sounds like a great mod, already thought of lots of ways to use it. :)

One thing though; the "DynamicController" actually has to be called "DynamicControl". I was wondering why it wasn't working for me and checked the code for the fix. Please update it here and on the mods website!
Updating that now, good catch!

Return to “Mods”