[MOD 0.13] Burn the world - Do everything without electric.

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.13] Burn the world - Do everything without electric.

Post by Daid »

Burn the world!
This mod adds "fuel consuming" alternatives of almost everything that normally consumes electricity. So you can play the whole game without once using electricity.
This adds an extra challenge of keeping everything fueled with solid fuel. Including your inserters!
The recipes for making these "burner" variants are a bit more complex, but not "bobs electronics" complex. To make your factory setup slightly even more of a challenge.

It will add:
* New "intermediate" products. "copper gear", "clockwork parts" and "miniature steam engine" which are needed for the various burner machine variants
* All inserter variations in burner variants. Burner long inserters are especially important for feeding fuel to other inserters in some cases.
* Burner assembler machines 1, 2 and 3
* Burner oil pump, oil refinery and chemical plant
* Burner lab
* Larger burner miner (same size at the electric one)
* Alternative research path, that does not research electronics
* Burner rocket silo
* Alternative recipes for some essentials, like the offshore pump, science 2, and splitters.

Known problems:
* Research isn't done yet. You can only get up to assembling machine 2. So no rocket silo or assembler 3 yet.
* Without electronics researched, lots of upgrades and other research is inaccessible. (Still need to investigating a solution for allowing alternative research requirements)
* You start with a bunch of electric related stuff available per default. Will most likely move these to a cheap research item, which now can be researched without electricity due to the burner lab.
* The rocket silo isn't done and both the silo and rocket parts as well as the satellite still require electric related parts. (Not that you can build it without cheating)

Current version (in development):
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/daid/burn-the-world
https://github.com/daid/factorio-burn-the-world

Tested with: Factorio 0.13.4 (latest experimental at the time of writing)
Last edited by Daid on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13] Burn the world - Do everything without electric.

Post by Daid »

Ok, fixed a whole bunch of things, so the code actually starts to become playable now.

As I started to play. And while I normally make pretty good looking well organized factories. My first "fuel only" small scale factory starts to look like this:
This is quite a bit more challenging then I thought it would be. Great fun!

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

Note, posted this mod on the mods site: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/daid/burn-the-world

Didn't add screenshots yet. I got up to level 3 science with just fuel, the logistics get very complex at that point.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

I'm a sucker for burner mods, I'll start a save with this and leave it at whatever tech is open up to. Then as you work on it I can jump back in.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Are you still progressing this mod? I was hoping you'd have a 0.14 update some time and further into the project.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

Just uploaded a version to the mods site that is enabled for 0.14, the mod seems to work for 0.14 just fine.

Also started to pick up some work for it again. Major change that I'm planning is to provide more fuel alternatives. Starting by changing normal coal into dirty coal, which later can be refined into more efficient normal coal. And later into powered coal which is even more efficient.
(This isn't released yet, but the first step is available on github)

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Yes I already saw it, downloaded and updated the rest of that save. My biggest headache is how to automate getting fuel to inserters that feed to a box. I have burner leech (I changed the version number in the json and hoped for the best) which helps with machines/furnaces but I fear I'm going to have to have half of every belt carrying fuel. That's going to play havoc getting ingredients to assemblers.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

I had the same problem of fueling my inserters. Pretty much "solved" by long handed inserters everywhere that fuel normal inserters. I'm going to add short-long and long-short handed inserters as a new tech for the next version. These pick up short and deposit long or the other way around. In my current test game this would really make a lot of things easier.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Daid wrote:I had the same problem of fueling my inserters. Pretty much "solved" by long handed inserters everywhere that fuel normal inserters. I'm going to add short-long and long-short handed inserters as a new tech for the next version. These pick up short and deposit long or the other way around. In my current test game this would really make a lot of things easier.
An idea that occurred to me would be something like a clockwork refueler. Like an assembler with arms that you send fuel to and it supplies anything withing a set reach that is no reserve left (say 4 tiles or something so it buffering with boxes would be practical again). Maybe connect the things it is to refuel via wires to make it more obvious.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Have you considered using side inserters? That would let you have inserters working on non-fuel belts, but at the cost of needing another dedicated inserter to refuel them.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

GotLag wrote:Have you considered using side inserters? That would let you have inserters working on non-fuel belts, but at the cost of needing another dedicated inserter to refuel them.
Yes I have but it wouldn't work for a few cases. Such as

belt <- inserter <- chest <- inserter <- belt -> inserter -> chest -> inserter -> belt
belt <- inserter <- chest <- inserter <- belt -> inserter -> chest -> inserter -> belt

Buffer construct that I like to use at the end of furnace banks. Getting extra single inserters to reach everything is not going to work.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

Without using the new short-long/long-short inserters that I have, and only using the long handed burners next to normal ones.

With using the new short/long inserters. (Note, currently look the same as the long handed ones, but they pickup nearby and drop with 1 cell in between)

Ignore the stack inserter which is powered by electricity. And the last belt piece of the incomming belt is curved towards the inserter so that items do not pass onto the resume belt. You could also let this straight, so not all items pass trough the buffer.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Yeah that should work. It's going to be belt hell but yeah, it'll work ta.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

Just uploaded version 0.14.1, this adds the short-long and long-short inserters, fixes a bunch of tech tree related things. Adds new fuel related tech.

Allow trains, lab research, lvl3 assemblers, and a bunch of military tech now as well without electronics.

Kamikatze
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kamikatze »

I am able to choose the recipe for powdered coal in a burner assembling machine 2 even though i haven't researched it yet

Return to “Mods”