Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 0.12.x] Electricity by XyLe

Post by Qon »

Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=13082#p87527
Electricity_XyLeQon1.2.1.png
Electricity_XyLeQon1.2.1.png (655.63 KiB) Viewed 12094 times
v 1.3.0 new substations
Each solar panel/accumulator requires 5 of the previos tier +some extra ingredients that are cheap for the lower tiers. Each tier is as good as 4 of the previous tier.
The mark 6 items are as good as 1024 of the basic version, but requires 3125 of the basic one in total to construct and lots of processing chips and more. If you have a low amount of resources I recommend MK2 or 3 for 4 or 16 times less space required. You don't have to use the more expensive ones. If you want to waste a lot of resources, get a GW power station with just a single substation and MK6 entities only. That's how I like it q:

Some things have changed from XyLe's original version:
  • new in 1.3.0: Bigger substations. Much bigger. Modified the recipe of the MK2 a bit also so that it uses advanced circuits instead of processing units.
  • Added German locale thanks to bNarFProfCrazy
  • Uses the solar panel icon from Better Icons mod for all solar panels. viewtopic.php?f=144&t=23287
  • Up to mark 6 solar panels and accumulators (2 more accumulators and 1 more solar pan than original)
  • Better substation graphics from V453000.
  • different colours. I'm qonsidering moving these again in the future. Maybe.
  • 128x128px technology icons (consistent with current vanilla).
  • slight tweaks to item stack sizes.
I might add higher tier substations in the future since I would want that. Maybe.

Two download choices:
My version with up to MK6 panels and accumulators, MK 4 substations.
V453000 version with up to MK5 panels and accumulators
Last edited by Qon on Sun May 29, 2016 8:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Electricity by XyLe

Post by V453000 »

I like the more-technical changes/fixes you did, the icons are nice too, but the blue is just worse, and the whole idea of purple level just feels wrong to me. I understand that your thought process was "purple is alien, purple is top tier science", but in this place, blue is the way.
In the end game, I think it is best to have everything electric from this mod to be blue - consistently. Solar panels, accumulators and also substations all in blue colour.
And since blue is the most fitting colour for electricity, it's best to cap it at blue level. Not to mention that your purple level doesn't even have new ingredients and instead just increases the cost of the previous ingredients. :/

Regardless, I'm just going to replace the graphics and remove those two from my local copy, and let's keep it at that. :)

Thank you for your effort, it is greatly appreciated even if it doesn't sound that way. :)

V

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

V453000 wrote:the blue is just worse
Well the blue was hard to get right. In the screenshot it looks more purple than it does in game though, don't know why. I thought it was way too bright compared to the other panels which were all fitting together nicely. Well I wanted it more blue than cyan so that's why I changed it. Maybe my monitor (or my taste and eyes) is calibrated differently q:
V453000 wrote:and the whole idea of purple level just feels wrong to me. I understand that your thought process was "purple is alien, purple is top tier science", but in this place, blue is the way.
In the end game, I think it is best to have everything electric from this mod to be blue - consistently. Solar panels, accumulators and also substations all in blue colour.
And since blue is the most fitting colour for electricity, it's best to cap it at blue level.
Well my favorite color is purple and I didn't want to lose that, so I found a way to keep the purple without messing with your updates. So I took the opportunity.

Also, I think purple is a pretty good color for electricity too. Yes it's mostly shown as blue, but otherwise it's purple. For realism all solar panels are black anyways so realism isn't really a consideration anyway :)

I would like even bigger substations though. At the moment I use another mod which gives me 56x56 MK3 substation which I've covered my entire base with and removed all other electric poles. I like them, but they are a bit too cheap in that mod. I would use 112x112 MK4 substation if I had those available. Less wire mess for the end game. Maybe at least 2-3 substations from the previous tier should be used instead of one. But they would need their own colors too. I was thinking MK 2,3 and 4 would be green, blue, purple. In factorio, isn't green better than blue though? MK3 assemblers and smart inserters are green and made from a lower tier which is blue.
V453000 wrote: Not to mention that your purple level doesn't even have new ingredients and instead just increases the cost of the previous ingredients. :/
Yeah I just threw in something in to make them more expensive. I didn't really know what else I could use from vanilla to go higher. But it's not like anyone needs MK6 solar panels so I thought it would work as a temporary solution to throw in a load of artifacts in the recipe. If anyone has ideas for how the recipe can be improved then I'm listening because it's a weak point atm.
V453000 wrote: Regardless, I'm just going to replace the graphics and remove those two from my local copy, and let's keep it at that. :)

Thank you for your effort, it is greatly appreciated even if it doesn't sound that way. :)
You could upload your copy here if you want, someone else might also prefer your version. And I could add it to OP also so people can find it and compare and choose for themselves, or they wont find it unless they read through the thread. I'm going to keep the purple MK6 in my version though. I've already converted all my MK5 stuff to MK6, and purple looks much better in my personal opinion. But if one is fine with unresearched items in their tech list then one can always just ignore the MK6 purple items and the science packs for other research. If you need lots of electricity then lower tiers are better for your budget anyway.

And I appreciate your work too ;)

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

:)
Attachments
Electricity_XyLe_1.2.2.zip
version with mk5 things and top tier and "my blue" solars :P also Qon's fixes <3
(2.65 MiB) Downloaded 369 times

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

Thanks for maintaining this mod. It really saved my day and keeps me busy in large factories...

I created a German (de) translation for this mod.
It would be nice if you could include it in your download, so everyone can use it.

If you need more translations or translation updates just ping/pm me.
Attachments
de.cfg
German (de) translation
(2.85 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Thanks bNarFProfCrazy! It's in the new v1.3.0. I hope. I just followed the folder structure and did something similar for your translation file. Didn't see any mention of locale files in any other files so I guess it will just work if you play fatorio with german locale q:

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

Awesome.
I will checkout the new substations.

I just noticesd that you modifed the author tag, unfortunately Factorio 0.12.31 and Foreman don't support author arrays, i guess you have to stick to a "," in the author name.

Here the translations for the new substations
Attachments
de.cfg
German Transtions
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

bNarFProfCrazy wrote:Awesome.
I will checkout the new substations.

I just noticesd that you modifed the author tag, unfortunately Factorio 0.12.31 and Foreman don't support author arrays, i guess you have to stick to a "," in the author name.

Here the translations for the new substations
Thanks for telling me, I got no error on my end! q:

The substations are really useful when you just want to build and don't want to worry about wiring things up when you are redoing and changing layouts over and over again. Or just to cover your whole base in one big network with no gaps. The big ones (MK4) are practically wireless energy with reach bigger than roboport construction are :D
They don't feel unbalanced even with this since medium electric poles are much cheaper and can almost always just be dropped in in any gaps in most designs without problem. I just can't stand the blinking "no connection" icon on unconnected machines, can't think when it flashes in my face q:
I do use medium poles in my proper designs, but for the workbench it's just nice to not worry about it for a while.

The blue field showing the reach of the substations aren't rendered if the substation is far out of the view even when the field itself should be visible. This is just a limitation in factorio I believe, they never anticipated substations with such long reach. But if there is some way to tell factorio how far out of view they should be rendered then that would be nice to know. It doesn't really affect much.

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

Qon wrote:
bNarFProfCrazy wrote: I just noticesd that you modifed the author tag, unfortunately Factorio 0.12.31 and Foreman don't support author arrays, i guess you have to stick to a "," in the author name.
Thanks for telling me, I got no error on my end! q:
Well for Factorio its not actuall an error it just doesn't display the authors.
Foreman crashes.

v1.3.1 Works as expected.

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

@Qon:

Sorry to bother you again.
I made a small, but ugly mistake with the German translation (duplicate keys (forgot to increment the mk no)).
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Here is the fixed German translation.

Sorry for the trouble.
Attachments
de.cfg
German translation
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

bNarFProfCrazy wrote:@Qon:

Sorry to bother you again.
I made a small, but ugly mistake with the German translation (duplicate keys (forgot to increment the mk no)).
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Here is the fixed German translation.

Sorry for the trouble.
I finally updated the mod :D

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

Thanks and power to the masses!

UntouchedWagons
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by UntouchedWagons »

It'd be cool if I could replace the tier 1 panels with tier 2 panels (and so forth) like you can with assemblers and furnaces.

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

UntouchedWagons wrote:It'd be cool if I could replace the tier 1 panels with tier 2 panels (and so forth) like you can with assemblers and furnaces.
Yeah that would be nice.

This can be achieved by adding:

Code: Select all

fast_replaceable_group = "solar-panel"
to the solar panel's entity definition.
See assembling-machine-1 in prototypes/entity/demo-entities.lua for example.
Please note that you have to set it for the vanilla solar panel as well.

UntouchedWagons
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by UntouchedWagons »

bNarFProfCrazy wrote:
UntouchedWagons wrote:It'd be cool if I could replace the tier 1 panels with tier 2 panels (and so forth) like you can with assemblers and furnaces.
Yeah that would be nice.

This can be achieved by adding:

Code: Select all

fast_replaceable_group = "solar-panel"
to the solar panel's entity definition.
See assembling-machine-1 in prototypes/entity/demo-entities.lua for example.
Please note that you have to set it for the vanilla solar panel as well.
Yes please do this. I have a moderately large rail network that have solar panels and accumulators as part of the rail blueprint designs and upgrading all of them manually will be a pain.

mcc1903
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mcc1903 »

Anyone planning to make this 0.13 compatible?
i knew i should have built a seperate mega accu/solar base and shouldn't use anything out of vanill at my outposts but i think it's too late for that

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

mcc1903 wrote:Anyone planning to make this 0.13 compatible?
i knew i should have built a seperate mega accu/solar base and shouldn't use anything out of vanill at my outposts but i think it's too late for that
I'll look at it when 0.13 world generator bugs are fixed. Feels pointless atm when it is as broken as it is now.

Use electric void for energy if you need energy right now while waiting for bugs and mods to get updated.

Lukas0120
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lukas0120 »

Can you update it to Facortio 0.13

gyro2death
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by gyro2death »

Any hope in an update for this mod?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Yea. I had kind of forgotten about it, sorry q:
I don't have access to my main computer right now so it might take a few days. But yes there is hope for an update.

Return to “Mods”