Tags: Time-Lapse, GUI, screenshot
Download-Url: download
Website: https://github.com/MarkRyanDev/TimeLapseMaker_0.1.2
License
Long description
Pictures
Version history
Known Problems
Last edited by LithDev on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Time-Lapse Maker v 0.1.1

Post by Koub »

Hi,

Does it have anything to do with viewtopic.php?f=92&t=13709 ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

LithDev
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LithDev »

Sorry, I didn't realize there was another mod that does the exact same thing (but probably better). I'm new at this, should I take my post down?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Absolutely not :) I think it's positive to have alternatives, if one of you stops supporting his mod because of lack of time/interest, there can always be an alternative.

In the case you had used part of the other mod to make yours, however, you would have been expected to give proper credit, and keep and respect the original licence. And as the other mod was published under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/, the Non derivative wouldn't have allowed you to distribute modified versions of it.
But if your mod was entirely made without reusing anything from the other one, then this is a non-problem :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

LithDev
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LithDev »

Oh ok, thank you :)

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

Bug,
File name is not correct, needed to rename to zip to
"Factorio-Time-Lapse-Maker-master_0.1.1"
and change the code in info.json to

Code: Select all

{
  "name": "Factorio-Time-Lapse-Maker-master",
  "version": "0.1.1",
  "title": "TimeLapseMaker",
  "author": "LithDev",
  "contact": "",
  "homepage": "",
  "description": "Adds a simple tool to create Time Lapses",
  "dependencies": ["base"]
}
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

MrP123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MrP123 »

Koub wrote:Absolutely not :) I think it's positive to have alternatives, if one of you stops supporting his mod because of lack of time/interest, there can always be an alternative.

In the case you had used part of the other mod to make yours, however, you would have been expected to give proper credit, and keep and respect the original licence. And as the other mod was published under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/, the Non derivative wouldn't have allowed you to distribute modified versions of it.
But if your mod was entirely made without reusing anything from the other one, then this is a non-problem :).
I'm the author of the "Time Lapse Mod" mod for Factorio 0.11.x and 0.12.x
I obviously don't have any problem with the existence of this mod.
Koub is completely right, it's always positive to have alternatives, especially since you wrote your own mod and didn't copy anyone else's code.
Another aspect is that my mod uses a config file and yours a GUI, which gives the users a way to choose their prefered way of controlling the mod.
Time Lapse Mod [0.11.x]
Time Lapse Mod [0.12.x]
enables you to make nice time lapses of your work within the game

Senshi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Senshi »

I like this mod, the GUI is simple and works well.

Two issues I noticed:

The day/night cycle can be very annoying for "long-duration" timelapses which are transformed in a high-fps gif.
Example of why this can be annoying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FusxEWCw2I - It's hard to actually discern the progress being made in the base during nights. With an even higher fps, it would lead to a severe stroboscope-like effect.
MrP's mod offers an option to switch the gametime to Noon for the screencap tick, ensuring uniform illumination in all pictures:
-- if this option is set to "true" the game time will be changed shortly while taking a screenshot so all screenshots are taken at noon; default: false
onlyDayScreenshotsCFG = false

Second issue:
The script apparently is MP synced. If one user sets up a new timelapse, this also happens with all connected players, and they get the screenshots taken as well. Which might be a nasty surprise if their %appdata% gets flooded with unwanted .png files.
It'd probably be best to not have the script setup broadcast in the network, so every user can do his own timelapses however he wants.

@Shizuka:
It is sufficient to rename the provided zip file to "TimeLapseMaker_0.1.1.zip" . Then you don't have to meddle with any content of the zip.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Senshi wrote:Second issue:
The script apparently is MP synced. If one user sets up a new timelapse, this also happens with all connected players, and they get the screenshots taken as well. Which might be a nasty surprise if their %appdata% gets flooded with unwanted .png files.
It'd probably be best to not have the script setup broadcast in the network, so every user can do his own timelapses however he wants.
I'm not sure that is possible. :( The devs are so paranoid about desync that they even try to replicate file writes.

MrP123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MrP123 »

DaveMcW wrote:
Senshi wrote:Second issue:
I'm not sure that is possible. :( The devs are so paranoid about desync that they even try to replicate file writes.
As far as I know there is no "true" server, the server is just another peer, like all the players, therefore every player has to have the same mods install.
What I'm unsure about is whether there would be a problem with server if you would change the time between screenshots while all the players are already ingame.
Maybe someone who is familiar with the multiplayer aspect of Factorio knows more about this (I haven't played multiplayer).
Time Lapse Mod [0.11.x]
Time Lapse Mod [0.12.x]

LithDev
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LithDev »

Senshi wrote:I like this mod, the GUI is simple and works well.

Two issues I noticed:

The day/night cycle can be very annoying for "long-duration" timelapses which are transformed in a high-fps gif.
Example of why this can be annoying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FusxEWCw2I - It's hard to actually discern the progress being made in the base during nights. With an even higher fps, it would lead to a severe stroboscope-like effect.
MrP's mod offers an option to switch the gametime to Noon for the screencap tick, ensuring uniform illumination in all pictures:
-- if this option is set to "true" the game time will be changed shortly while taking a screenshot so all screenshots are taken at noon; default: false
onlyDayScreenshotsCFG = false

Second issue:
Thanks for the Input! I added support for "Nightless" mode and I tried to fix the multiplayer file sync issue. There is an option in the take_screenshot() function to say which player is taking the screenshot, maybe this will fix it? I don't have any way to test in multiplayer, so if anyone could let me know if this works, that'd be great :)

I just updated the information on my initial post, is this how I should update my mod? Or should I make a new post?

Factorio2016
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Time-Lapse Maker v 0.1.2

Post by Factorio2016 »

tinyupload
not the best service, many will not be able to download
If you have a github account, then why the exchanger.
Perhaps it would be better if you put it on github.
English is not my native language. Translator.

MrP123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MrP123 »

Factorio2016 wrote:Perhaps it would be better if you put it on github.
With github you have the ability to post downloadable releases for your repositories which works amazingly. It's also very use to setup
Time Lapse Mod [0.11.x]
Time Lapse Mod [0.12.x]

LithDev
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LithDev »

The issue I had with GitHub was that it was downloading the zip as "TimeLapseMaker_0.1.2-master.zip", which would be incompatible with the info.json. Is there a way to change what the file would be downloaded as?

Edit: Tried making a release out of it and messed around some settings, closest I could get was "TimeLapseMaker-0.1.2.zip", which is still incompatible :/

Roktaal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Roktaal »

LithDev wrote:The issue I had with GitHub was that it was downloading the zip as "TimeLapseMaker_0.1.2-master.zip", which would be incompatible with the info.json. Is there a way to change what the file would be downloaded as?

Edit: Tried making a release out of it and messed around some settings, closest I could get was "TimeLapseMaker-0.1.2.zip", which is still incompatible :/
What I do is:
1. Download ZIP (from GitHub)
2. Change the name of the zip file and the name of the folder inside to what it needs to be
3. Draft a new release on GitHub uploading the changed file
Then I use a link to that file on GitHub as a download link in the thread

LithDev
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LithDev »

Roktaal wrote: What I do is:
1. Download ZIP (from GitHub)
2. Change the name of the zip file and the name of the folder inside to what it needs to be
3. Draft a new release on GitHub uploading the changed file
Then I use a link to that file on GitHub as a download link in the thread
Beautiful. Thank you for the tip!

Return to “Mods”