[MOD 0.14] Nucular 1.0.4 - Nuclear Reactors and Weapons

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13] Nucular 1.0.2 - Nuclear Reactors and Weapons

Post by Airat9000 »

Simdezimon wrote:Nucular

Description: Adds nuclear reactors, breeder reactors, nukes and uranium ammunition.
Latest Release: v1.0.0, Juli 15, 2016
Factorio Version: 0.13
License: MIT License
Download: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Simdezimon/Nucular

This mod adds nuclear reactors to generate power in mid- and late-game. Uranium processiong can be researched after sulfur processing, so it is possible to build a nuclear reactor before solar panels. Later technologies like breeder reactors allow you to extend your uranium supply.
On the military side the mod adds uranium ammunition and nuclear weapons to deal with biters.
If you want to play peaceful, you can use plutonium to create alien science packs.
Tech Tree Outdated
Pictures
Version History
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Simdezimon/Nucular
hello! In questions! who is code in gegenerate in resource old game?

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Airat9000 wrote:hello! In questions! who is code in gegenerate in resource old game?
I think you can't because resources are only generated when you explore new areas of the map. But there are ways to spawn a patch of ore in any location. You should search for that (console command to spawn ore patch).
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

DrFission
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DrFission »

Whenever I generate a new world, it responds with the following:

__Nucular__/control.lua:14: attempt to index global 'defines' (a nil value)

So, what am I or you doing wrong here?

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

@simdezimon:

Can you bring the old reactor recipe back, that required nuclear fuel to craft a reactor?

I absolutely loved that aspect, because it really made you feel like to have to work towards expanding your power generation. Not simply craft 100x reactor and go to town, like with steam power.

It also required some planning, because you had to make sure you'd craft some excess fuel, even with perfect ratios and breeders, so you'd have some spares to make more reactors.

As I've noticed you've removed that part of the recipe. I petition to bring it back (maybe make a config option for those who want easier access).
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Seconded. The aspect whereby nuclear setups can breed their own fuel is a very good way to distinguish them from coal power, and the fact that you needed reactors to make new reactors intensified this "feedback" dynamic whereby the ability to mass produce new reactors is highly dependent on having built up a stock of (breeder) reactors to produce enough fuel to build the next generation of reactors. It's like siggboy said, it increased the need to plan ahead, you couldn't build reactors "reactively", if you needed fast power you had to fall back on coal power.

Simdezimon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Simdezimon »

@siggboy @BlakeMW I will bring it back.

Wildejackson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wildejackson »

Thank you so much for the mod! I was hesitant to update to the new recipes but now that you will return to the old ones means I can update without worries.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Design for 250 MW with correct ratios and breeders

Post by siggboy »

Here's a design for an end-game factory that will produce 250 MW and require 1 raw resource per MW-minute (plus some trace amounts of sulfur). Uses no robots!

Water comes from the top, each pipe requires 2 offshore pumps. The leftmost pipe requires 3 offshore pumps (it feeds 4 reactors instead of 3). The pipe lengths are limited, especially for the leftmost one, since we're already close to the liquid throughput limit.
nucular-250mw.png
nucular-250mw.png (2.73 MiB) Viewed 8276 times
The raw resource cost of the setup can be reduced by using no modules, but then the design becomes a little more clumsy. So I opted with putting a few modules in to make it a little more compact. Be aware that if you put SM3 into the machines you'll pay a huge upfront cost that will not do much for you other than making the row of assemblers a little shorter.

The net energy production is around 240 MW. Resource intake (per 10 MW produced) is ~2 uranium per minute, ~8 iron plates per minute and some sulfur (the actual numbers are slightly higher than this). The entire module draws around 55 uranium/minute and 200 plates/minute at maximum capacity; that's a little under 60 MJ per raw resource -- almost free energy :).

The inner belt will slowly fill with Nuclear Fuel rods, even at maximum load, because the chemical plant produces slightly more Uranium than needed, and there's an excess of 1 Plutonium every 6 minute for every Breeder reactor (25 Pu per 6 minutes for the entire setup). This is good because you can skim off the extras to make more reactors (the excess Plutonium is converted into fuel, since there's one extra MOX assembler).

The exact ratios for 25 pairs of fission/breeder reactors are (machines are Assembler 3, and a Chemical Plant for Uranium extraction):

1 machine for Nuclear Fuel
~5.33 machines for Reprocessing
4 machines for Uranium Enrichment
15 machines for MOX Fuel
~1.67 machines for Uranium

That will then yield 25 extra Plutonium every 6 minutes. I've put in one extra assembler for MOX fuel to convert that into Nuclear Fuel. The other option would be to let it accumulate and turn it into nuclear warheads, but you might get into trouble with the authorities for that.

Bootstrapping the setup takes a few minutes, if you need full output immediately you should prime the inner belt with about 150 Nuclear Fuel elements to kickstart production.

I've put in no death spiral protection, I consider that overengineering since the resource intake is low enough that it should be easy enough to control. Of course, nuclear plants cannot be taken out of a blackout without external energy, so at least be aware of that.
Blueprint

Enkal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Enkal »

This mod looks interesting but I wonder about a few things:
1. The energy density of a kg of refined uranium/plutonium is some 100 000 times higher than a kg of coal. Thus you would only need very very small amounts of Uranium to satisfy a reactor of 200 MW. It seems the mod places the power density quite low? Not even one order of magnitude? I would say that the energy of one piece or refined Uranium should at least be put at 1 GW.

2. A breeder reactor should not output plutonium since it is what it fissions as fuel (transmutation of U238 into Pu239 which is fissioned). You normally produce weapons plutonium from special reactors and not from the ones that generate electric power.

3. For the breeder reactor it would be interesting with a liquid core reactor using uranium and an acid to produce power (or a chemical plant making liquid fuel from uranium and sulfuric acid (so we do not need more acids)) and then have the liquid by-product put through a reprocessing plant that return some 95 % of the by product volume as new liquid core fuel. The fuel efficiency of a breeder is some 20-25 times higher than a closed cycle reactor.

4. Uranium ore is normally quite diluted, so as a balancing act one could use perhaps a 20:1 (or even higher) ratio between ore and metal/oxide? Perhaps even have it as a by-product in small amounts from metal ore refining as in real life?

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Enkal wrote:This mod looks interesting but I wonder about a few things:
1. The energy density of a kg of refined uranium/plutonium is some 100 000 times higher than a kg of coal. Thus you would only need very very small amounts of Uranium to satisfy a reactor of 200 MW. It seems the mod places the power density quite low? Not even one order of magnitude? I would say that the energy of one piece or refined Uranium should at least be put at 1 GW.
A quick comment: This is a general problem in Factorio. IRL copper is *much* rarer than Iron, Iron Ore are often 60-70% iron by weight, while copper ores are usually under 0.6% copper, literally 1/100th as much. It can thus be said to be absurd that 1 iron ore gives 1 iron plate, and 1 copper ore gives 1 copper plate. If 1 iron ore gives 1 iron plate, then it should take 100 copper ore to get 1 copper plate. If you like you can rationalize it that a copper plate is much smaller than an iron plate.

Liberties will be taken for the sake of gameplay. Personally I think the general realism/accuracy of Nucular is no worse than the base game and it does reasonably well considering the limitations of the modding system (i.e. a recipe can't incrementally consume an item unless specifically programmed to, such as labs consuming beakers).

Enkal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Enkal »

BlakeMW wrote:A quick comment: This is a general problem in Factorio. IRL copper is *much* rarer than Iron, Iron Ore are often 60-70% iron by weight, while copper ores are usually under 0.6% copper, literally 1/100th as much. It can thus be said to be absurd that 1 iron ore gives 1 iron plate, and 1 copper ore gives 1 copper plate. If 1 iron ore gives 1 iron plate, then it should take 100 copper ore to get 1 copper plate. If you like you can rationalize it that a copper plate is much smaller than an iron plate.

Liberties will be taken for the sake of gameplay. Personally I think the general realism/accuracy of Nucular is no worse than the base game.
Yea I agree, I was just thinking of a way to balance the incredible energy density of nuclear. You would need just one plant to provide unlimited energy for your base with next to no fuel cost at all. Fusion would not be required.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

If I needed some sort of realism explanation (aka post-hoc rationalisation) I would say that the uranium probably needs to be encased in something, so the actual uranium is only a small part of the item.

BTW interesting fact about copper vs iron, I guess it might be intersting to mod a more complicated iron refining process, complemented by an easier but less efficient process for early game (when not that much copper is needed anyway)

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

You're all wrong on the realism front.

Because Factorio is not on Earth. It's on a planet called Oirotcaf. And on Oirotcaf, copper is very abundant. Uranium, sadly, is very rare (the ore is highly diluted, so the fuel rods that you make out of it are small compared to what we're used to; they simply contain a lot less energy).

Great thing about Oirotcaf though: the crust of the planet constantly emits small amounts of energy that you can use for low power devices (transport belts, for example).

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

:-)

The sun is also fantastically bright, especially in the UV and/or IR spectrum, allowing a relatively small array of solar cells to provide the energy needed to power a whole factory!

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

vanatteveldt wrote:The sun is also fantastically bright, especially in the UV and/or IR spectrum, allowing a relatively small array of solar cells to provide the energy needed to power a whole factory!
Nah that's the solar cells sucking up energy from the ground (the same kind of energy that runs the belts). It only works while light shines on the solar panels, though.

Enkal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Enkal »

siggboy wrote:You're all wrong on the realism front.

Because Factorio is not on Earth. It's on a planet called Oirotcaf. And on Oirotcaf, copper is very abundant. Uranium, sadly, is very rare (the ore is highly diluted, so the fuel rods that you make out of it are small compared to what we're used to; they simply contain a lot less energy).

Great thing about Oirotcaf though: the crust of the planet constantly emits small amounts of energy that you can use for low power devices (transport belts, for example).
Technobabble. :P Well you still need to concentrate the Uranium up to good concentrations to reach criticality.

Perhaps transport belts have their own solar cells and battery backups? On another note, what if you would have to connect power to tier 2 and 3 belts but also be able to use them as power transmission?

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Enkal wrote:Well you still need to concentrate the Uranium up to good concentrations to reach criticality.
Nah, you can mix in small amounts of the magic soil (it emits energy, remember?); that way the Uranium can be slightly impure. I'm pretty sure that's how it's done in Nucular. Wouldn't make sense otherwise.
Perhaps transport belts have their own solar cells and battery backups? On another note, what if you would have to connect power to tier 2 and 3 belts but also be able to use them as power transmission?
I'm pretty sure that has been discussed before. It's certainly not a bad idea. It's doubtful though that the devs will touch any of these fundamental game elements any time soon.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

I was surprised to find steam turbines working with normal heated fluids, so I've tested 11 steam boilers vs 14 normal boilers each fueling one steam turbine pushed to the limit.
The result was that steam boilers used their fuel up slightly faster and didn't build up as much of a buffer as hot water did.
The added plumbing makes them a lot less space efficient too.
Is it intended for the steam turbines to work just as well with hot fluids as they do with steam, or is that a limitation of using the steam engine prototype?

Here's my idea:
Make the steam boilers 2x2, eat 2x as fast through fuel and produce more 2.5-3x as much steam as they currently do.
That way plumbing would be reduced and they would actually be an upgrade from boilers.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

I agree that the plumbing is pretty much a showstopper when it comes to steam boilers. It's very awkward to set up an array of them.

aTeLe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by aTeLe »

Where can I download the old 0.12 versions of this mod?

and please stop using exclusively mods.factorio - its awful and not everyone wants to create an additional account just to download mods.

Return to “Mods”