Topics and discussion about specific mods
prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.12.26] Tower Defense

Post by prg »

image-original.png
image-original.png (968.76 KiB) Viewed 6846 times
This mod is far from finished, it's more like a proof-of-concept that's already playable.

Features
  • Build a maze out of walls and turrets to keep biters from reaching valuable targets (like charred spaceship remains)
  • Campaign including a tutorial and three maps. Creating new maps shouldn't be too hard
  • Four different, unlockable turrets
  • Simplified crafting recipies, you get to manage a small base but are mostly busy building a maze
  • Decide what to spend your mining efforts on: money for turrets, stone for walls or coffee for science
This is an update of my earlier 0.11 attempt. It's now mostly using tinted base game graphics, so it's not as ugly anymore. Other things I had to say are still valid:
Gameplay is not well balanced yet, I'm mostly interested to know what people think about the concept for now. Someone would still need to spend a lot of time on testing and adjusting stuff to make the gameplay not suck. But it's already winnable and offers almost an hour of gametime (if you bother with the tutorial and read slowly enough.) Also I wanted to get this finally published to maybe get some feedback before I spend days on finetuning something no one is using anyway.

Just having this mod installed shouldn't affect the base game, at least for singleplayer. All new objects are disabled by default. Still, if one person in a (base) multiplayer game has this mod enabled, everyone needs to have it, even though it doesn't modify the base game.

Known issues
  • Still somewhat ugly
  • Not well balanced
  • No multiplayer yet
  • Only three maps, low replayability
  • Placing turrets and walls is disappointingly slow on larger maps, especially level 3
  • Probably not compatible with other mods, but I didn't test this at all
Ideas for the future (If there's any interest please leave a comment)
  • Gameplay could become more Factorio-y. Increase time between waves to enable proper base building. Craft items required for turrets with multiple ingredients instead of just buying them with money (not as elaborate as the base game though)
  • Multiplayer. Coop: one person builds the base, another the maze. PvP: decide if you want to spend resources on upgrading your maze or sending better biters to your opponent
  • More things to research: maybe a stun turret, a tool to remove already placed turrets and walls, damage/range upgrades...
  • Less pathetic pathfinder implementation to decide whether a building is placeable, might make level 3 actually playable
Please let me know what you think: which parts are too easy, too hard, too boring? Help with balancing and less awful graphics would be most welcome. Any kind of feedback would be appreciated, really.
td_0.2.0.zip
(452.55 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

l3ai
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.26] Tower Defense

Post by l3ai »

Thanks for updating, works great!

Good concept with someone interesting ideas to play off of. I got a chuckle out of needing coffee for the scientists to research. I also liked how you are unable to build on sand. It would mess up my walls because i would continually forget about it.Honestly, the one thing that I would recommend is improving the attitude you set. Clearly there is work to be done still but it isn't terrible by any means. I would recommend improving the setting you put the player in at the beginning. Even if it ends up being corny it is better than negative. I would even recommend giving it a fun jokey setting, it might play well off of your other mechanics like the coffee for example.

Anyways, thanks again for updating and I hope I wasn't to harsh. Just trying to give some constructive feedback.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

And thanks to you for the reply! Glad to hear it's working for you. So... yeah, I'm going to work on the wording a bit in the future, it's starting to look and feel somewhat decent by now indeed.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Cool. Next step would be creating a scenario, where you run around building barracks, which send waves of footmen to the enemy side of the map. And the we could go around building a map where you run around turrets while lasthitting creeps and shitting into the chat. :D
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Adil wrote:Cool. Next step would be creating a scenario, where you run around building barracks, which send waves of footmen to the enemy side of the map. And the we could go around building a map where you run around turrets while lasthitting creeps and shitting into the chat. :D
Please don't disgrace the tower defense genre by referring to those pseudo TD arcade mobas ;)

Return to “Mods”