Topics and discussion about specific mods
kds71
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[MOD 0.12.22] Player Tunnels

Post by kds71 »

Type: Mod
Name: Player Tunnels
Description: Adds a new entity - Tunnel - that can be used by player to pass entities like rails, pipes etc.
LIcense: Public Domain
Version: 0.0.1
Release: 2016-02-18
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.22
Category: Helper
Tags: tunnel
Download-Url:
player-tunnels_0.0.1.zip
(13.04 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Long description
TODO

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.22] Player Tunnels

Post by kiba »

There is the subsurface mod that allows you to actually walk underground and build tunnels.

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

I saw this on reddit and i made the suggestion that you could make the tunnels the vehicle type and have the player enter the tunnel with the ENTER key and use the on_player_driving_changed_state to trigger the player teleporting to the other side. You could also change the collision layer on the tunnel to allow the player to walk over-top of the tunnel entrance so it doesn't feel like its in the way.

The video looks like it works well and is pretty uncomplicated, which is the way i like it :mrgreen:

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Cool mod! Though you may consider to increase the maximum distance to 6 tiles in order to players could pass under the standart 2-tracks rail setup.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

interesting mod,
I have some suggestions though :
  • rather than manually checking the position of the player with the last position, why don't you check the player walking state ?
  • if the tunnel will work event though there is no power, why use an assembling machine as the base prototype ? why not just base it on belts to ground ? it would allow to have the nice UI when placing the counterpart of the tunnel, plus, instead of searching in a general direction, you could just do get the neighbor, and it would be much easier to change the max size of the tunnel
    although, You would probably need to make it 3x3 to prevent players using it to transport items ! (the connectible part of the belt would then be inaccessible)
  • as said before, you also could add a dummy vehicle entity to trigger the transportation with the on_player_driving_changed_state event
    OR you could check if the walking direction if towards the direction of your entity (with some margin, north-west walking to go inside a north facing tunnel should work in my opinion)

plus, someone said the subsurface mod (mine, by the way) allows to actually walk underground, but what you offer does not serve the same purpose, while mine allows you to actually have a subsurface, that you need to dig, your mod simply adds a way to move better in the factory.

if you need or want any kind of help, just ask, I'd be happy to help, or to further explain what I suggested!

kds71
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kds71 »

StanFear wrote:interesting mod,
I have some suggestions though :
  • rather than manually checking the position of the player with the last position, why don't you check the player walking state ?
  • if the tunnel will work event though there is no power, why use an assembling machine as the base prototype ? why not just base it on belts to ground ? it would allow to have the nice UI when placing the counterpart of the tunnel, plus, instead of searching in a general direction, you could just do get the neighbor, and it would be much easier to change the max size of the tunnel
    although, You would probably need to make it 3x3 to prevent players using it to transport items ! (the connectible part of the belt would then be inaccessible)
  • as said before, you also could add a dummy vehicle entity to trigger the transportation with the on_player_driving_changed_state event
    OR you could check if the walking direction if towards the direction of your entity (with some margin, north-west walking to go inside a north facing tunnel should work in my opinion)

plus, someone said the subsurface mod (mine, by the way) allows to actually walk underground, but what you offer does not serve the same purpose, while mine allows you to actually have a subsurface, that you need to dig, your mod simply adds a way to move better in the factory.

if you need or want any kind of help, just ask, I'd be happy to help, or to further explain what I suggested!
Great suggestions, thank you! I was going to use belts to ground, but I wasn't sure if it is possible to prevent them from acting like a normal belt. I'll certainly look into it.

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

kds71 wrote:Great suggestions, thank you! I was going to use belts to ground, but I wasn't sure if it is possible to prevent them from acting like a normal belt. I'll certainly look into it.
You could also use pipe-to-ground entities and just remove the pipe connection for the above ground pipe.

kds71
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kds71 »

Dr. Walrus wrote:You could also use pipe-to-ground entities and just remove the pipe connection for the above ground pipe.
Ah, why haven't I thought of that (especially considering that I use similar technique in my custom grid mod)? Thank you, I will definitely try to do it this way.

Return to “Mods”