[MOD 0.12.x] HardCrafting 0.3.15

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Solarion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] HardCrafting 0.3.11

Post by Solarion »

Judos, you are a cruel, cruel person. What did we do to deserve that requirement for water, or the need to now also remove dirt from our processing, just for a bit of increased speed?! I just want to NOT need 50 pulverizers to fill one express belt of copper.... :P

Thanks for the update, I'll play around with it tomorrow.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Excellent, thanks for the hard work! Oh and just what I wanted. More dirt. :P

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Ok, so I hate to be that guy... But I'm really not sure about the big processor outputting dirt. The water is ok since it is a 5x5 structure. But having yet another input/output makes it really messy.

For instance, lets take pulverized iron. My current setup for it requires 2 inputs and 3 outputs. In order to make a nice line for it I need 2 belts on one side and 3 on the other side. For a "pod" of 8 of these (4 top, 4 bottom) it is 18 tiles tall and 14 tiles wide.
If I try a similar setup for the big processor, you have to allow for the water (probably side loaded), which will mean a line setup for that, plus another output line for dirt. So it will be at least 26 tiles tall and probably 6-7 wide.

But this doesn't take into account the real downside. With 4x speed you need 2 inserters for gravel, 2 for crushed iron, 3 for pulverized iron and 2 for the nuggets. This is doable using just two sides, but not if there is dirt to handle.

I guess what I'm getting at is this. 4 pulverizers is much cheaper and takes marginally more space and energy. But you don't have to deliver water, you don't have to deal with dirt and you can easily build them in a line. To get full speed out of the big processor you will likely need to space the machines 3 apart so you aren't going to get much space savings if any, plus you have even more mountains of dirt to take care of.

Now granted, I'm taking the worst case scenario. The other recipes are a bit more forgiving. But crushers are also far cheaper and take less energy.

Anyway, just wanted to post some feedback. Thanks for the update, the belt sorter change is amazing and I love the gui and copy-able filter.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Thanks guys for the feedback :D Always appreciated.
I know generally that it's cruel. But that's the fun part in it. Getting to solve new challenges.

A bit increase in crafting speed? I would consider 4x rather good improvement. Also if you think that 4 pulverizers need 6x6 space instead of 5x5 (big processer), 660kW instead of 500kW.
As for the inserters to connect these machines up: Let's take pulverizing iron as example. You probably need 5 inserters if you want to connect the pulverizer with a clean belt setup (1 item type per belt lane).
Now for the big processer you maybe might want to share some items on the same belt. A smart-inserter can roughly take out 3 items per cycle of the big-processer. So you need 3 inserter to take out items and 3 to feed the machine.

Also you can use the inserter-stack size bonus if you think you can't take the items out fast enough.
And there's actually no need to sort the items onto belts. You can just put everything on 1-2 blue belts and then sort it later. With 2 belt-sorters you can sort an express belt (item twice on two rows). This allows you to filter out items that appear less often quite easily.

As for the dirt you are probably right that there is now a little too much of it. I will probably reduce it in the next update.

So I think there are enough ways to do all of this. Keep thinking and if you are stuck I could send you some screenshots ;)

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Well I'll try some other things out with it. I'm just not sure the benefits outweigh the extra complexity. Personally I think the larger size, water input and 4x speed all provide enough extra challenge.
4 pulverizers is 560KW not 660KW. Pretty comparable, but 4x crushers are "only" 320KW.

Oh and two other things:
Any chance of adding another module slot to the big processor?
Are you interested in allowing productivity modules for these recipes?
I put the following into my own customizer mod too add it(function "borrowed" from Bob's library).
Productivity Modules

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Ok, so I think there is some odd bug going on. After I upgraded my script.dat in the savegame started growing really huge. After a few hours it grew from 200KB to almost 100MB. I opened it up in notepad++ and I can't be sure what it is exactly but all the extra junk is under do local and seems to be related to HardCrafting. Not 100% sure however.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

O.o that sounds really odd. Do you have any idea what the content of this data is? Maybe I can relate this then to some part of the code. Do you use other mods as well? Any possibility to share the savegame? :)

/edit: Found the error :x Stupid mistake, sorry for that. The scheduled events of the entities don't get removed. Working hard to get the update asap which clears your memory again. Your save file will be ok again with the next update and no need to worry.

/edit: The problem scaled mainly with the active controlled entities of hardCrafting: belt-sorters, incinerators, electric-incinerators.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] HardCrafting 0.3.12

Post by judos »

The issue is fixed.
@NoriSilverrage: Please update to 0.3.12 and save your game again to see that everything is fine again.

Updates and news for 0.3.12
- fix memory leak in scheduled entities data
- big processing machine can get rid of twice the dirt
- big processing machine crushes iron as fast as pulverizing it
- added productivity module support for modules up to 10% productivity (above is not supported on purpose)

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Excellent. Thanks for the quick fix and changes. :) Went from 97MB to 228KB.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

I ran into what appears to be another bug. I blueprinted a bunch of stuff, including two belt sorters. After placing the blueprint a few times I wanted to change a few things. But i found that if I removed the belt sorters a invisible belt sorter entity stayed around. I tried removing it with bots and the same thing happened. When I've run into this before (with other mods) I've usually been able to stick the same item on top and mine it out, but i can't even do that.

Any ideas?

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Hi NoriSilverrage,

Sorry I have no idea, but something is going wrong when using blueprints to place a belt-sorter. I'm checking it right now and trying to find out why this is the case.
The fake entity you are seeing is a fake lamp which is connected to the belt-sorter with a green circuit but not visible on the map. This was necessary otherwise the player can't open the gui of the belt-sorter (which is a lamp)

/edit: Oh wow, I found out that if the player builds an entity the method is called before the tick function updates. But for robots this is the case after the tick method. So basically the belt-sorters built by robots will never be scheduled for execution and therefore also no cleanup happens when you remove one of them.
I'm adding a fix for this such that you can update the version and it will correct past errors...
Last edited by judos on Wed May 18, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] HardCrafting 0.3.13

Post by judos »

Ok after some work I fixed the issue and added a migration to fix any problem in your existing savegame caused by this bug.
Please update to 0.3.13 and everything will be fine.

Latest download: Image

I hope 13 is the last fix and will bring us luck :D

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Yah! Thanks for the quick fix.

sol
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sol »

I must say, I love a lot about this mod, especially the part where you get multiple pieces from mining the iron and copper. However there has been a major turn off for me regarding the slag. I dare say this mod makes the game *easier* because of it. Since the crushed versions of the ores produce slag as well you can just cycle the slag back through your furnaces to get a seemingly endless amount of iron with a tiny deposit's worth.

Personally, I would reccomend removing slag all together, or at least making it much more rare a byproduct and only a byproduct of the original ore (as in no slag byproduct from crushed/pulverized ore)

Also, I think it would be great if you were able to expand to bob's mods ores as well. But I think that would probably be far into the future if you were interested at all, but jsus a suggestion! :D

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Slag is actually pretty minor. Yes it does loop around but you get a relatively small amount out of it.

5 slag turns into 2 crushed iron
2 crushed turns into 2 plates and another slag.
So you need 25 slag to get enough slag for another slag run...

Mathwise I believe slag gives you a 10-20% bonus on iron, but this depends on your processing level, as you get less slag bonus if you go tier 3 processing. Tier 3 however, gives a huge bonus to iron.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] HardCrafting 0.3.14

Post by judos »

Updated to 0.3.14 to fix a desync issue.

Note: This mod is at any time expected to be multiplayer compatible. If you experience any issue then please leave me a note.

Fixes and graphics for 0.3.14
- fix desync issue for multiplayer when connecting (apparently lua object oriented programming is hard to get right)
- added small lamp indicator for belt-sorter
- belt-sorter doesn't emit light anymore when condition is true

Latest download: Image

AlexTheNotsogreat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlexTheNotsogreat »

Why is there no rich iron ore? :|

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

I like this mod a lot, but the early iron smelting is infuriating. It basically means you need to get some form of smart inserters, otherwise furnaces get stuck when 1 iron ore is inside, and the inserter picks up a nugget which doesn't fit in the furnace anymore.

I used the smart inserters mod to at least help this a little bit, but I figured it would be even nicer to make burner smart inserters available from the very start.
Since no mod does that so far, I made one. :)

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=25851

I recommend using it with this mod, makes the early game much nicer.

Also this is nice:

http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/smart-inserters

Thank you for your effort!

V

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

V453000 wrote:I like this mod a lot, but the early iron smelting is infuriating. It basically means you need to get some form of smart inserters, otherwise furnaces get stuck when 1 iron ore is inside, and the inserter picks up a nugget which doesn't fit in the furnace anymore.

I used the smart inserters mod to at least help this a little bit, but I figured it would be even nicer to make burner smart inserters available from the very start.
Since no mod does that so far, I made one. :)

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=25851

I recommend using it with this mod, makes the early game much nicer.

Also this is nice:

http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/smart-inserters

Thank you for your effort!

V
You speak truth. I ended up having to do a lot more manual work early game than wanted. For vanilla science this isn't a huge deal as smart inserters aren't far away. But I'm also running science overhaul so it is a big commitment to progress.
soo yeah, smart burner inserters is a good idea.

Oh and I ran into a odd issue with belt sorters. I debated on mentioning it as the "fix" was easy.
I have two sorters side by side. Both route ore to the west with one doing nuggets north and one south. I noticed a slowdown with my iron plates and upon investigating I discovered the one of the sorters was "clogged" with nuggets. I check the filter and find it is identical to the other sorter. Odd, so I change it to be right. A few minutes later I find that now both sorters switched.
Basically it appeared that when two sorters were next to each other and one was switched the other switched as well. I managed to get it to work by removing both and adding them back again. I'm not sure if this is just a migration issue or not, but wanted to mention it.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

More experience with the mod:

- not all recipes are productivity module friendly (seems weird)

- I would add the railgun, inserters and belt sorter as a separate mod. That lets people use it with any other mods, and combining your mod with something else also gets much easier. I understand it is nice to have it "all in one" but -correct me if I am wrong- I don't even see some nice config file which would let the user quickly remove it.

The smelting in this mod is amazing, please don't pollute it with random extra features. I understand "long inserters can be handy with the more complex smelting" and "belt sorter is a nice thing", but to me it is just excess mess. Not even talking about the railgun. :P Same with "enhanced robot recipes". :d

Return to “Mods”