[MOD 0.12.x] HardCrafting 0.3.15

Topics and discussion about specific mods
withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] HardCrafting 0.3.9

Post by withers »

Hi Judos. The forum hasn't given me private message privileges yet because I am too new, so I'll reply to your message here. You asked what I meant about piles in my above post. I was thinking something along the lines of a 3x3 or 4x4 or 5x5 "chest" that only takes dirt/gravel/dried dirt, but takes very large quantities. And then disabling the ability to place those kinds of materials into regular chests. Also, if possible, make the piles indestructible unless they are empty. And maybe have a graphic that changes depending on how full the piles are (again, if possible). That would force you to manage the space around your factory, and provide more of an incentive to either process, or incinerate the dirt piles, in order to clean up things and make more room. This seems more realistic to me than making a chain of chests to store massive volumes of dirt.

Yeah like I said, I'm masochist when it comes to hard-core'ism/realism on games.

Expresso
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Expresso »

I have to say - your work very much !!!
Questions - offer. Could you create one choice in the process, by analogy with Crusher Pulverizer? as sometimes on the tape slips not be programmed resur Crusher and automatically changes the production process.

Smoovious
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Smoovious »

Why have the rich copper only near the spawn?

Could make it extremely rare, and only found in small patches... doesn't seem natural to have it only where you spawned...

-- Smoov

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

NoriSilverrage wrote:The rich copper and RSO don't seem to be happy with each other. Anyone else play with RSO and have a config?
It needs to be added specifically to config. I haven't played with this mod - if it changes other ore spawning in any way it's not applied with RSO also.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

@withers: Yes you are right. I will adjust the costs of stone-walls and also the landfill. I will think about your other ideas :)

@NoriSilverrage: Yes RSO is very restrictive about Ore-spawning :D Everything it doesn't know will be turned off.

@Expresso: Do you mean the crusher should also be like an assembling machine, where you have to select the recipe? If it helps you yes I can do this.

@Smoovious: Yes. Actually I wanted to do this as you mentioned. However I just got into modding resource fields and I don't know much about it yet. I haven't found a good documentation yet what the parameters mean for spawning ores. If anyone can point me to one I would happily learn more about this.

@orzelek: You probably know a lot about resource spawning and noise layer parameters with peak influences. Where have you learned how this works? Is there a good documentation?
Also may I ask you to add rich-copper to the rso-config? Right now I only spawn rich-copper-ore in the starting area. I don't change other ores at all. It would be cool however if I could spawn it rarely everywhere in the world :P

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I don't know that much about noise layer parameters - there is a description of them on wiki somewhere I think.
I released new version of RSO that supports rich copper today. I left there small chance to spawn rich version outside of starting area - should be a rare find.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Nice :P I will check your config and see how you did that.

Expresso
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Expresso »

judos wrote: @Expresso: Do you mean the crusher should also be like an assembling machine, where you have to select the recipe? If it helps you yes I can do this.
yes

Cyres
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cyres »

For all those masochists, who plays this with Bobs mod, This adds Dirt and Gravel to bobs ores:

- unzip the bobores_0.12.*.zip
- open the folder :o
- create file: "data-final-fixes.lua"
- paste this:

Code: Select all

for i, ore in pairs(bobmods.ores) do
  if ore.enabled then
	bobmods.lib.add_item_to_resource(ore["name"], {name = "dirt", probability = 0.4})
	bobmods.lib.add_item_to_resource(ore["name"], {name = "gravel", probability = 0.45})
  end
end
Have "fun" :twisted:

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

Hey judo . I see you made some changes in github. I'm anxious to start a new game with some of those changes. Do you think the github unreleased version is good? Or should I wait for official release?

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] HardCrafting 0.3.10

Post by judos »

Hey withers, basically anything you find on Github I won't guarantee for ;) But usually when I'm developing I'll make sure that everything is running since I linked the source folder directly into my factorio version.

I just released however a new version with the changes inside, since it should be stable. Should be improving the things you mentioned :)

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Heya, just saw this release and wanted to comment.

I think you went the wrong way about making the walls cost more. The "issue" as I see it is that gravel is useless until tier 3, so naturally everyone will make it into bricks and probably walls. Once you get tier 3 going a lot of gravel will go towards that.
Anyway, I think the issue is that it only takes 1 gravel pile to make a brick. Not that walls themselves are too cheap. I usually wall in large areas and thus need 5-10k walls early/mid game. With this change I can't even use regular stone to do this in any decent amount of time. Others may disagree I suppose but I'll be modifying this for my gameplay.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

You might be right, this is a bit harsh how I changed it. Thanks a lot for the feedback

What do you think of something like:
2stone -> 2stone bricks (I want to make it more affordable to have early floors)
2pile of gravel -> 1 stone bricks
10 stone bricks -> 1 stone wall (this will compensate for the stone giving more bricks) ?

/edit: I would love however to make stone+dirt->gravel->gravel-pile->stone-bricks cost less stone per stone-brick than the direct smelting stone->stone-bricks. :roll: hmm have to think about how I could do this if possible...

I must say it's quite hard to find a good balance. And I unfortunately can't do a 40h playtesting for every change :D
Cheers

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

That could work. It would make a few other items cheaper like Concrete, but I don't think that is a bad thing per se.

I'm not sure if you have any interest in making a new item, but have you thought about making a gravel surface? It could be slightly worse, speed wise, vs brick but would give a very early use for gravel and a decent paving option.

I have written, probably, 1000+ lines changing other mods balance and if it makes you feel any better I haven't changed hardly anything of yours (just stack sizes). My only really complaint is that I think too much dirt is mined and I think you should include a smart long insterter. I'm using Bob's logistics so I got one, but it'd be cool if there was one included.
Oh and I personally find it strange that the crushers output stone from processing the ores. The reason being that it is the only thing you changed which gives stone, everything else gives dirt or gravel (usually gravel).
Once you get up to pulverizers which require gravel it ends up feeling even more odd as you have to get rid of this stone before you move from crushers to pulverizers in the processing chain.
Last edited by NoriSilverrage on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Cherry
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Miss Cherry »

Love your mod because it make ore processing a lot harder. Thou I did find a problem and after some testing found your mod dose not like the smart trains mod as when I try to make a smart train stop I just get a normal one. I love both mods and love them to be able to work to gather.

Edit: Note when I was doing the testing I also had 5Dim mod pack installed It was only until I disabled the HardCrafting mod did it fix it.

Smoovious
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Smoovious »

I don't know if it is possible with the scripting, but would you be able to make digging up the non-ore stuff, dynamic, based on how rich the deposit on that square is?

so, as it dwindles, and you have less ore on that square, you end up digging up more dirt and gravel as the percentage of ore goes down? while a square with a ton of ore on it, would be bringing up much less of the dirt/gravel and more of the ore?

-- Smoov

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

@Miss Cherry: Can you provide detailled steps how I can reproduce this issue? What exactly was not working? Screenshot? Savegame? Basically everything here would help ;)

@Smoovious: Hmm that sounds quite cool but is right now not easily possible. Factorio only allows to define static products for a resource. I think this is too much work for the small gain. I am however still planning to add a few new resource fields with different settings for the products.

A long smart inserter would be a good idea. I'll add one for the next version.

Yes stone is strange as product of those processes. I just have to find something else I can replace it with... Do you have any Ideas?

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

I would say you can change the stone to either slag or gravel. I feel like either of those would fit better than stone.

Also, would you be interested in adding advanced versions of the crusher/pulverizer?
I made Mk2 (1.5x), Mk3 (2x) and Mk4 (3x) versions of them for my game. I feel like staying at 1x crafting for the whole game could be very limiting when you consider how many pulverizers/crushers you need for a single compressed express belt. My current setup needs 34 crushers (24 ore, 10 slag) and 16 pulverizers and I can get close to a full red belt of iron.
I really need to make a excel sheet for this.. :P

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Hmm, so just started using belt sorters. Pretty nifty. Am I correct in assuming they can't output a compressed belt? Seems like you need 2 of them for that.

pieppiep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pieppiep »

NoriSilverrage wrote:Hmm, so just started using belt sorters. Pretty nifty. Am I correct in assuming they can't output a compressed belt? Seems like you need 2 of them for that.
I can see in belt-sorter.lua there is a check every 10 ticks for the belt sorters. The game has 60 ticks per second so the belt sorters do their thing 6 times per second.
I'm not sure if they fill both sides of the belt, in that case they would be able to fill 12 items each second.
The yellow belt is 13.39125 items each second according to the factorio wiki.
Changing this in the code to 9 would give 6.67 checks per second and 13.33 items per second, just a little less than a compressed belt.
I'm at work now, but if I remember when I get home I might check this theory.

In theory to get the 40.17375 for a compressed express belt you would need 20.086875 checks a second, so each 2.987 ticks. 3 would almost completely fill it and 2 should fill it.

Return to “Mods”