[MOD 0.18] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.8.2

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.5.0

Post by Supercheese »

Batla wrote:Hi,

Is it posible to queue ion Cannon targets? I currently have 3 in orbit and im preparing to expand NW of my base, i would like to be able to clear out that region a bit before heading out there in my tank, but the autotarget is random!
Yeah, the auto-target can be quite random depending on how your radars end up scanning. I don't have a system of queuing priority targets yet, I'll investigate that possibility.

GI_1963
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by GI_1963 »

I seem to get this when starting a Wave Defense Scenario (and similar errors with other scenarios other than Freeplay)
Not a deal breaker, just making sure you are aware of it.

Code: Select all

Error AppManager.cpp:421: Error while running the on_init: Unknown interface: silo_script
stack traceback:
	__Orbital Ion Cannon__/control.lua:53: in function 'On_Init'
	__Orbital Ion Cannon__/control.lua:6: in function <__Orbital Ion Cannon__/control.lua:6>

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

GI_1963 wrote:I seem to get this when starting a Wave Defense Scenario (and similar errors with other scenarios other than Freeplay)
Not a deal breaker, just making sure you are aware of it.

Code: Select all

Error AppManager.cpp:421: Error while running the on_init: Unknown interface: silo_script
stack traceback:
	__Orbital Ion Cannon__/control.lua:53: in function 'On_Init'
	__Orbital Ion Cannon__/control.lua:6: in function <__Orbital Ion Cannon__/control.lua:6>
Fixed for the next version. :)

Dahn94
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dahn94 »

Targeting queue or other adjustment to auto-targeting would be useful. In my current save with the target "visible" area turned on, I'm still seeing auto-targeting way out in random locations far outside the permanent visible radius. Instead it is still targeting out in the extended scan area. Will try toggling the setting shortly. An alternative would be to create an algorithmic option such as closest to my structures and working it's way outward.

thanks for the update to support 0.15!

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Dahn94 wrote:Targeting queue or other adjustment to auto-targeting would be useful. In my current save with the target "visible" area turned on, I'm still seeing auto-targeting way out in random locations far outside the permanent visible radius. Instead it is still targeting out in the extended scan area. Will try toggling the setting shortly. An alternative would be to create an algorithmic option such as closest to my structures and working it's way outward.

thanks for the update to support 0.15!
The two settings for toggling auto-targeting in the visible regions and for auto-targeting as radars scan distant regions are technically independent; Their descriptions definitely need updating, but you can turn off the "Enable Auto-Targeting" setting and leave the "Auto-Target Nests in Visible Regions" on and it should still target newly-built nests in visible regions while ignoring distant radar scans.

Dahn94
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dahn94 »

The two settings for toggling auto-targeting in the visible regions and for auto-targeting as radars scan distant regions are technically independent; Their descriptions definitely need updating, but you can turn off the "Enable Auto-Targeting" setting and leave the "Auto-Target Nests in Visible Regions" on and it should still target newly-built nests in visible regions while ignoring distant radar scans.
Doesn't appear to be working that way for me. Tried flipping auto-targeting off while leaving auto-targeting in visible region on. During a game, the cannons just start to finish their cooldowns and be available. Tried reloading the save and tried reloading the game, neither changed the behavior. Will let it run for a while more to see if something like a new cannon going up triggers it.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Dahn94 wrote:
Doesn't appear to be working that way for me. Tried flipping auto-targeting off while leaving auto-targeting in visible region on. During a game, the cannons just start to finish their cooldowns and be available. Tried reloading the save and tried reloading the game, neither changed the behavior. Will let it run for a while more to see if something like a new cannon going up triggers it.
It is for freshly-constructed nests only in the visible regions -- if there are several existing nests, you'll need to target them manually.

Dahn94
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dahn94 »

Supercheese wrote:It is for freshly-constructed nests only in the visible regions -- if there are several existing nests, you'll need to target them manually.
Just saw that in the code, thanks. I'll think about the behavior I'd ideally have and see if I can't try some options. Thanks again for the feedback!

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

Dahn94 wrote:
Supercheese wrote:It is for freshly-constructed nests only in the visible regions -- if there are several existing nests, you'll need to target them manually.
Just saw that in the code, thanks. I'll think about the behavior I'd ideally have and see if I can't try some options. Thanks again for the feedback!
IMO there is no need to check the entire scan area over and over for existing nests. Except for the cases where the corresponding settings have changed. However dor newly constructed radars the area should automatically be cleared. (Maybe after a delay to allow manualy clearing of nests.)

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

bNarFProfCrazy wrote:
Dahn94 wrote:
IMO there is no need to check the entire scan area over and over for existing nests. Except for the cases where the corresponding settings have changed. However dor newly constructed radars the area should automatically be cleared. (Maybe after a delay to allow manualy clearing of nests.)
When building new radars it should scan the radars permanent visual area ONCE and queue up all targets for annihilation.
Changing the Worm or visual area setting also should run that visual area scan once.

thelordodin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thelordodin »

Bug: an error if trying to open campaign or tutorial if this mod is enabled.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

thelordodin wrote:Bug: an error if trying to open campaign or tutorial if this mod is enabled.
Known issue -- version 1.5.1 is now available containing the fix (et al.).

CarolinaGuy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.5.1

Post by CarolinaGuy »

Checked Github and searched this form, didn't see this bug previously listed.

Bug: After mod uninstall, launching a rocket with or without a satellite crashes the game/server. Upon reinstalling the mod the error does not occur.
Notice: Error while running event level::on_rocket_launched (ID 10) ...steamapps/common/factorio/data/core/lualib.silo-script.lua:197: Silo script tracked item "orbital-ion-cannon" is not a valid item
Bug is reproducible:
1) install mod
2) open map, launch rocket w/ any contents
3) save, close map.
4) delete mod
5) open map, launch rocket w/ any contents
6) bug.

Great mod by the way!

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

CarolinaGuy wrote:Checked Github and searched this form, didn't see this bug previously listed.

Bug: After mod uninstall, launching a rocket with or without a satellite crashes the game/server. Upon reinstalling the mod the error does not occur.
Notice: Error while running event level::on_rocket_launched (ID 10) ...steamapps/common/factorio/data/core/lualib.silo-script.lua:197: Silo script tracked item "orbital-ion-cannon" is not a valid item
Bug is reproducible:
1) install mod
2) open map, launch rocket w/ any contents
3) save, close map.
4) delete mod
5) open map, launch rocket w/ any contents
6) bug.

Great mod by the way!
Humbug. Not really sure how to handle that, as I can't very well add code to de-register a tracked_item in the silo-script when the mod itself no longer exists...

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

This is a base game bug and should be reported.

Silo-script is not watching on_config_changed for the removal of items and/or silo-script should warn and not error when accessing it.

I shall report it! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48236

in the meantime /c remote.call("silo_script", "remove_tracked_item", "orbital-ion-cannon")

CarolinaGuy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CarolinaGuy »

Nexela wrote: I shall report it! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48236

in the meantime /c remote.call("silo_script", "remove_tracked_item", "orbital-ion-cannon")
Thanks for reporting it and the workaround! I didn't think it was a mod issue either, along the lines of what Supercheese said. However, not being confident in programming I figured this was the best place to start.

jpwanabe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jpwanabe »

If I could make a request. An option to make it so even with auto target on, there will be X cannons always ready to fire. Like if I set it to 5, auto target will only work if there are 6 or more cannons ready to fire. Would be nice if I could have some ready for an expansion.

Crixomix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Crixomix »

Okay, hear me out. Apologies if this has already been stated.

So there were TWO superweapons in original C&C 95. Ion cannons, which rock. But also nuclear missiles.

So my idea is, as either an extension of the OIC mod, or as a new mod, add in the ability to launch nukes.

It would be (fairly? I think?) simple to implement. Simply throw a nuclear warhead onto a rocket, launch it up into orbit, and then, sometime later, pick the unlucky target. I guess it wouldn't be that much better than ion cannons already are, but it would be really fun to hear "nuclear launch detected"

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Crixomix wrote:Okay, hear me out. Apologies if this has already been stated.

So there were TWO superweapons in original C&C 95. Ion cannons, which rock. But also nuclear missiles.

So my idea is, as either an extension of the OIC mod, or as a new mod, add in the ability to launch nukes.

It would be (fairly? I think?) simple to implement. Simply throw a nuclear warhead onto a rocket, launch it up into orbit, and then, sometime later, pick the unlucky target. I guess it wouldn't be that much better than ion cannons already are, but it would be really fun to hear "nuclear launch detected"
I've toyed with this idea from time to time, and it might happen at some point. Or it might not. We'll see. ;)

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Infinite use ion cannon vs one time use nuke seems to imbalanced.
1) Nukes should be built in a smaller silo with cheaper rockets. They don't need to get into orbit after all.
2) Ion Cannons should be used up after 5 shots. Sending more rockets up than firing ion cannons shouldn't be an issue at this stage of the game.

Return to “Mods”