[MOD 0.18] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.8.2

Topics and discussion about specific mods
t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.4.6

Post by t-lor »

Supercheese wrote:I'm working on updating for Factorio 0.15, and there are a bunch of new features I'm taking advantage of.

Of course, now that nuclear power is in vanilla, I'm wondering if I should change the recipe for the ion cannon. Maybe include a reactor?
Make it a new component then. Somehow it doenst sound realistic to send up something that required a 1000 tons of concrete to build :P

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

[quote="Supercheese"]I've run into a nasty problem: the localization seems to have completely broken, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why my locale/en/en.cfg file is not being loaded properly -- all I get is a bunch of "unknown key"s./quote]

I'm having the same issue right now, my localization file also stopped working for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe we should report that as a bug ?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

DevilXD wrote:
Supercheese wrote:I've run into a nasty problem: the localization seems to have completely broken, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why my locale/en/en.cfg file is not being loaded properly -- all I get is a bunch of "unknown key"s./quote]

I'm having the same issue right now, my localization file also stopped working for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe we should report that as a bug ?
Do you have a space between the key and the = ?

Example:

Code: Select all

text = Hello. <-- wrong
text=Hello. <-- correct
Greetings, steinio.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

steinio wrote:Do you have a space between the key and the = ?
Spaces are not allowed anymore ? Who came up with that sorcery ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

DevilXD wrote:
steinio wrote:Do you have a space between the key and the = ?
Spaces are not allowed anymore ? Who came up with that sorcery ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The French apparently. :P

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Nexela wrote:3.414 Error ModManager.cpp:693: Load locale error for mod "Orbital Ion Cannon": Duplicate key "ion-cannon-voice-style" in property tree at ROOT.mod-setting-description
Thanks, that's sorted it. I didn't think to dive into the log files, hmm.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I posted it as a bug .14 would raise an actual error :)

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.5.0

Post by Supercheese »

All right, 1.5.0 update finalized! Lengthy changelog this time:
  • Updated for Factorio 0.15.
  • Auto-Targeting of ion cannons no longer requires dedicated Auto-Targeting Stations.
  • Instead, after researching Auto-Targeting, *any* radar scanning activity will scan for nests and target ion cannons as needed.
  • Additionally, there is a new option to detect any nest expansions within the always-revealed regions of radar coverage and auto-target them accordingly.
  • Do be cautious with this option enabled, as biter nests expanding in close proximity to your own structures can result in friendly fire.
  • Disabled the annoying "Rocket launched without satellite!" message.
  • Added Orbital Ion Cannons as tracked items in the new "Rocket silo stats" frame.
  • New research costs.
  • Added support for the new "Expensive" recipes option in Factorio 0.15.
  • Auto-targeting now fires the custom "on_ion_cannon_targeted" event.
  • Auto-targeting should no longer leave spurious "target location" markers on the map; they should now properly disappear after the ion blast.
  • Added custom event "on_ion_cannon_fired", which now properly activates when the ion cannon blast actually occurs. See the Readme for documentation.
  • Added support for in-game mod options (Options -> Mods).
  • Added a mod option to toggle auto-targeting.
  • Removed the "proximity check" option. Be sure to be careful about your target designation, as always.
  • Removed the "lockout ticks" option; there are now always 10 lockout ticks (1/6 second).
  • Renamed remote call "fire_ion_cannon" to "target_ion_cannon".
  • The Ion Cannon Targeting Device is now unlocked upon research of the technology, rather than upon launching the first ion cannon.
  • It is no longer possible to switch to the "Full" ion cannon gui when there are 40 or more ion cannons in orbit.

What didn't change (yet?) was the types of items needed to make the ion cannon. I didn't switch over to nuclear reactors, but that's still on the table as an potential option based on feedback.

Please report bugs should you find any, as always.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

I did not bother using it since the recipes are cheap base level of things not just the expensive recipes. I always found this mod to be super cheap for the power it offered I always wish there was quite a harder / more complex one cost wise. I guess I'm the only one who feels a death beam from the sky or 100's of them without some sort of insane cost is cheap :P

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Kane wrote:I did not bother using it since the recipes are cheap base level of things not just the expensive recipes. I always found this mod to be super cheap for the power it offered I always wish there was quite a harder / more complex one cost wise. I guess I'm the only one who feels a death beam from the sky or 100's of them without some sort of insane cost is cheap :P
Any specifics you have in mind for an extremely expensive recipe? I'm all for having a super-hard option, but I find it tough to nail down exactly what the numbers & types of items should be.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I think a reactor makes most sense substantively, and a healthy dose of U235 or nuclear fuel to keep it powered?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

vanatteveldt wrote:I think a reactor makes most sense substantively, and a healthy dose of U235 or nuclear fuel to keep it powered?
Reactors are made with tons of concrete. You don't waste payload capacity by adding protection hen it's not needed. It should consume u235 or fuel and materials suggesting we build a reactor stripped of heavy shielding right in the ion cannon.
Either as sub assembly or right in one item as it is now.

Perhaps move the sub assembly to it's own mod so many mods (like nuclear locomotives) can use it to make their own lightweight unsafe reactors from a common source and we don't end with dozen different reactor recipes that are all imbalanced.

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

Supercheese wrote:
Kane wrote:I did not bother using it since the recipes are cheap base level of things not just the expensive recipes. I always found this mod to be super cheap for the power it offered I always wish there was quite a harder / more complex one cost wise. I guess I'm the only one who feels a death beam from the sky or 100's of them without some sort of insane cost is cheap :P
Any specifics you have in mind for an extremely expensive recipe? I'm all for having a super-hard option, but I find it tough to nail down exactly what the numbers & types of items should be.
Well i have a suggestion for this expensiveness.
First split the ion cannon into 3 parts which can be assembled on earth or in space.

The structure: 250 light weight structure, 10000 copper cabble, 100 prod research, 100 solar panels.
(Make them cry how to get all the copper in there)
The energy source: 4 nuclear power plants, 25 upcells , 100 barrels of lube or water and 100 hightech research.
(Make them cry about the uranium)
The weapon part: 100 laser canons 25 radar, 1000 lube barrels (cooling), 100 cpus, 1000 accumulators, 250 weapon research.
(Make them cry about liquids)

Then you have to add ammo. Each ion cannon you launch has exactly one ammo with it.
You can launch an 'ion cannon ammo and maintenance' container to send more ammo up there.
Each if these should cost round about. 25 CPU, 25 light weight, 250 copper cable, 50 construction robots, 10 laser canons and 100 batteries and 10 upcells
Each of these grants only 10 ammo.
(There is still the expensive rocket to build)

This is just an example. Maybe these values have to be tweaked a bit to better match the nukes price.
Really expensive at construction, and later either more powerful or cheaper than nukes.
PS: You could make the laser tower damage buff apply to your ion-cannon as well. AOE+Damage.

ichVII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ichVII »

Is it now possible to use the ion cannon targeter from map view?
It would be a really cool Feature.

Sunnova
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sunnova »

Can you read the Radar name and print it out when a firing is taking place?
I drop a train stop next to Radar's and name it with the radar name so I can see where they are on the map.
It would help find where the firing is taking place, I've a big map and can never find where the target is.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Can you mark the cannon's positions with the map markers instead of trains tops?
They are better visible and don't stop being rendered on large zoom levels.

If you name them by ion cannon numbers you could let them stick around until that cannon fires again.
That way we would have a nice overview over which areas cannons come down more frequently.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

ichVII wrote:Is it now possible to use the ion cannon targeter from map view?
It would be a really cool Feature.
Yes, it is now possible to use the targeter from 0.15's new zoom-to-map feature. :D
charmead wrote:Can you read the Radar name and print it out when a firing is taking place?
I drop a train stop next to Radar's and name it with the radar name so I can see where they are on the map.
It would help find where the firing is taking place, I've a big map and can never find where the target is.
Heh, this actually was the case in previous versions: if you enabled the "Verbose" setting a message would be printed to the console with the Radar name -- however, I removed the name from the message in 1.5.0, leaving just the coordinates. I'll reinstate the name in the next version.
Optera wrote:Can you mark the cannon's positions with the map markers instead of trains tops?
They are better visible and don't stop being rendered on large zoom levels.

If you name them by ion cannon numbers you could let them stick around until that cannon fires again.
That way we would have a nice overview over which areas cannons come down more frequently.
Yes, I intend to switch to the new map marker feature, but that change didn't make it into v1.5.0 of the mod.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

charmead wrote:Can you read the Radar name and print it out when a firing is taking place?
Heh, this actually was the case in previous versions: if you enabled the "Verbose" setting a message would be printed to the console with the Radar name -- however, I removed the name from the message in 1.5.0, leaving just the coordinates. I'll reinstate the name in the next version.[/quote]

Better option might be a player alert! They can click on the alert and the map will take them to the radar

Batla
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Batla »

Hi,

Is it posible to queue ion Cannon targets? I currently have 3 in orbit and im preparing to expand NW of my base, i would like to be able to clear out that region a bit before heading out there in my tank, but the autotarget is random!

Return to “Mods”