[MOD 1.1] Warehousing v0.4.0

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.12] Warehousing v0.0.4

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Crosspost from Reddit:

I don't like the (lack of) space on these at 220. They take up a 6x6 area in the latest version, so 36 chests could fit in that space. Wooden chests have 16 slots, so times that by 36 to get 576. Even if they were 5x5 that's 25 spaces x 16 = 400 slots. 4x4 would be 16 spaces, so 16 x 16 = 256 slots.

Steel chests have 48 slots, so 220/48 = 4 and 7/12ths, which we could round up to 5 chests I suppose. 5 chests can only support 20 inserters and while the chests plus inserters ideally take up a 7x7 area compared to the warehouse's 8x8 getting the belts set up is a bit of a hassle.

However, there is no denying how many inserters the warehouses can have. A 6x6 warehouse can have 24 fast inserters or 48 long inserters. 2 long inserters have greater throughput than 1 fast inserter (though I don't know by how much) so the 48 long inserters handily beat out the 20 inserters on 5 chests. The belts are also greatly simplified.

For storage these are outclassed even by wooden chests. But for throughput and simplicity no chest setup can beat it. There would have to be 2x2 chests in baseline Factorio to do that.

The warehouses also make it easy to destroy a huge bunch of things if you need to do that for some reason. Toss it all in the warehouse and shoot it until it blows up, no need to shoot several chests.

Anoyomouse
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anoyomouse »

Hi

Ooh, we got reditted, if someone could link me (in a PM or such) i'd love to read

And yes, i agree the limit is a big problem, we've been trying to work out better ways to increase storage size, even trying to see if we could increase the limits on item stacks in the warehouse, however there are internal limits on what you can do with LUA at the moment

I also need to report a bug to the factorio devs to see if they can enable scrolling on the inventory window, as it is with 220 slots you have to maximize the window on a 1920x1080 to get the title bar on the warehouse so you can move the window around (or see all the slots),.

And ideally 576 slots would be awesome, perhaps even more as this is a warehouse we're talking about ... :mrgreen:

Edit:
Here's my topic about the inventory scrolling bug --> HERE
Hacker (n): Someone who makes furniture with an axe

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Here's the Reddit post6: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... using_004/

Xterminator did a mod spotlight for you at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCnKRuBYBi4

And your bug fix thread got a response. Looks like the scrolling might be fixed in the 12.18 patch? Kovorax didn't say anything about the LUA so we'll have to see what happens next. Hopefully the scrolling will enable you to add more storage space.

Anoyomouse
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anoyomouse »

Jackielope wrote:Here's the Reddit post6: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... using_004/

Xterminator did a mod spotlight for you at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCnKRuBYBi4

And your bug fix thread got a response. Looks like the scrolling might be fixed in the 12.18 patch? Kovorax didn't say anything about the LUA so we'll have to see what happens next. Hopefully the scrolling will enable you to add more storage space.
I googled it and saw, was too interested!

Anyways, i've added the mod spotlight to the OP, and yeah, Kovorax did say the scrolling was fixed, this means i'm going to make Obscenely massive warehouses, with the equivalent of 36 iron chests (1728 slots or something ridiculous, so here's to hoping)

And yeah, LUA entities are not going to happen till 1.0 at least i'm sure, so i'll wait till that for all my thoughts

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

I'm Jackiethegreen on Reddit if you're wondering.

Awesome news about the storage and scrolling! Though now I have to wonder if it would be possible to have some sort of search box available for chests since it's very possible to lose something in that whole mess.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

The model looks great! Grats on the work

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Hm, something else I realized about this mod:

The number of inserters it can support allows for smart inserters to take something out that logistics bots put in. Like if you put coal in your trash slot and a bot took it then it could drop it off at a storage warehouse and then a smart inserter could put it directly onto a belt and back into production so it's not just sitting in storage.

Anoyomouse
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.12.18] Warehousing v0.0.5

Post by Anoyomouse »

Now is the time to be an ultimate Packrat ...

Please find version 0.0.5 linked from the first post, or just grab it Here!

Now with bazillion storage space.
Also new research icons

See nice description here: https://github.com/Anoyomouse/Warehousing

Basic Warehouse: 800 slots
Storage warehouse: 2000 slots :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Passive provider warehouse: 800 slots
Active provider warehouse: 800 slots
Requester warehouse: 800 slots

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Now that the warehouses can hold much more, I've started using them in my games. They're absolutely perfect buffer and storage for train unloading since a warehouse and the medium electric poles work perfectly for two to a cargo wagon. Also, I absolutely LOVE how it's possible to walk between adjacent warehouses unlike with any vanilla chests.

Thank you very much Anoyomouse!

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Awesome mod. I find the storage (yellow) warehouse is the most useful, especially for train stations.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

StormTAG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by StormTAG »

Awesome mod. I love the heck out of it.

Is there any chance you could make/show me how to make a green/smart warehouse? Waiting until construction bots to be able to wire it to the circuit network is sad.

Anoyomouse
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anoyomouse »

StormTAG wrote:Awesome mod. I love the heck out of it.
Glad you love it!
StormTAG wrote:Is there any chance you could make/show me how to make a green/smart warehouse? Waiting until construction bots to be able to wire it to the circuit network is sad.
Hmm, wasn't sure how many people just use the standard smart chests, but umm, sure, i guess we could make a smart chest version of the warehouse without the logistics robot connection

I'll get my 3D modeller to make some warehouses for me and get those ticking :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

daydev
Inserter
Inserter

Post by daydev »

Unless they reconsidered this part, smart chests are to be removed (http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-123).

Anoyomouse
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anoyomouse »

Oh yeah, forgot about that

Well, i can still doit for the 0.12 version of the mod ... the other warehouses should still work great tho

StormTAG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by StormTAG »

Can you make something dependent on multiple technologies? As in, could we make the smart warehouse require the circuit network technology and warehousing? Or would we need to make a new "smart warehousing" technology that requires both of those technologies?

Anoyomouse
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anoyomouse »

StormTAG wrote:Can you make something dependent on multiple technologies? As in, could we make the smart warehouse require the circuit network technology and warehousing? Or would we need to make a new "smart warehousing" technology that requires both of those technologies?
Hey

I was just putting it together, yes it would rely on curcuit network AND warehousing to be able to make the smart warehouse, the only issue is the graphics, the rest is pretty much already done

but as mentioned they're removing smart chests, so i've made it easy to pull out once they do this for 0.13

StormTAG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by StormTAG »

Recoloring the warehouse seems like something I could do too. Is there anything more than copying one of the warehouses/icons with the connections and recoloring it green?

Anoyomouse
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anoyomouse »

StormTAG wrote:Recoloring the warehouse seems like something I could do too. Is there anything more than copying one of the warehouses/icons with the connections and recoloring it green?
Well, technically the warehouse doesn't have the attachment point for the robots, and we need a custom icon for the research to make the warehouses, so it's a little more advanced than just a simple recolor (well, i want it to me a little more than a recolor) .. i've put something together to test with, but it's definitely not final, well the graphics anyway, the rest of it it coded and waiting for that now

can always PM me if you want to add me on skype and i can send you the draft WIP

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Anoyomouse, I noticed the collision box is set to 2.7 on each side for a total of 5.4. This allows running through the gap between two warehouses, but when putting a substation between the warehouses it pulls a Gandalf and doesn't allow passing through. Would you be interested in adjusting the numbers a bit so the player character can pass through that setup?

Anoyomouse
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anoyomouse »

Jackielope wrote:Anoyomouse, I noticed the collision box is set to 2.7 on each side for a total of 5.4. This allows running through the gap between two warehouses, but when putting a substation between the warehouses it pulls a Gandalf and doesn't allow passing through. Would you be interested in adjusting the numbers a bit so the player character can pass through that setup?
Well, the warehouse is a total of 6 units wide, so 5.4 with the collision box is really cutting it fine (if you zoom in you can actually see the player stepping on the picture for the warehouse already)

The substation is -0.9 -> 0.9 to make a box of 1.8, i'm already using a lower collision box then they do.

Hmm, wonder if we ask the factorio guys to cut that down to -0.85 -> 0.85 if that will allow the player to run between substations .. cause if i reduce warehouses it won't help the issue with substations (where i feel the actual problem is)

That being said, if they say no, then i might just try and reduce it by another 0.05 and see if that helps

Return to “Mods”