[MOD 0.12.11+] Burner Generator

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Burner Generator

Post by Klonan »

hitzu wrote:Sorry for offtopic, but maybe you could make a very lowtech (wood and iron) windmill as a weak and unstable but working all the day power source? Also it could be a source of the underground water. For the sake of the balance this water can have lower temperature.
Hey, nice idea!

I've made a mod like you've suggested: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 93&t=16734

I hope you enjoy it

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

The generator seems to make a trickle of power even with no fuel.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Ranakastrasz wrote:The generator seems to make a trickle of power even with no fuel.
yisss 7.6KJ to be precise :P

I could fix it... but its only 7.6KJ

If you want to fix yours, just go into the control lua and fix the temperature value for the fluid when it spawns, from 25 to 15...

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Ranakastrasz wrote:The generator seems to make a trickle of power even with no fuel.

OK i fixed it anyway lol :D

OP has been updated

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

There is still a picture of the technology requirement in the OP.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

How does it generate power by just burning coal? What are the physics you are using here?! :P
Check out my mods

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

cartmen180 wrote:How does it generate power by just burning coal? What are the physics you are using here?! :P
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine The stirling engine design is a closed loop system, meaning that the fluids used to convert the heat to electric energy are not lost (i.e. not vented.)

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

UberWaffe wrote:
cartmen180 wrote:How does it generate power by just burning coal? What are the physics you are using here?! :P
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine The stirling engine design is a closed loop system, meaning that the fluids used to convert the heat to electric energy are not lost (i.e. not vented.)
But shouldn't it be more efficient then? ^^
Check out my mods

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

cartmen180 wrote:
UberWaffe wrote:
But shouldn't it be more efficient then? ^^
Well, yes, but balance wise no.
Not like factorio has a huge amount of realism obsession going for it anyway.

That said, trying to justify this generator would require you to first be willing to justify burner inserters, which are vanilla entities. If you want to deny the ability for a generator to work on coal without steam, you must first complain about burner inserters. After all, they set the precedent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

This has comparisons to internal combustion engines, not steam engines.
-More expensive, high quality materials required.
-WAY larger
-Significant warmup time
-Cannot adjust rapidly to changing power demands.

Advantages being
-Can run on any heat source
-Lower maintanence
-Air independent. No gas input or output required, so works in space/submarines
-Mostly able to ignore external tempeture.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Mod has been updated for factorio version 0.12.11+

Please let me know any bugs, errors etc.

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

I get a zombie entity when I remove a generator. In the picture, there used to be a generator in place of the red frame. Even though I removed the generator, it's not possible to place anything where it used to be. The hitbox is also there if you try to walk across.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Kayser wrote:I get a zombie entity when I remove a generator. In the picture, there used to be a generator in place of the red frame. Even though I removed the generator, it's not possible to place anything where it used to be. The hitbox is also there if you try to walk across.

Are you running factorio 0.12.11, but have not updated this mod? That might cause things to malfunction.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Kayser wrote:I get a zombie entity when I remove a generator. In the picture, there used to be a generator in place of the red frame. Even though I removed the generator, it's not possible to place anything where it used to be. The hitbox is also there if you try to walk across.
Are you running factorio 0.12.11, but have not updated this mod? That might cause things to malfunction.
I'm still on 12.10, since some of the mods I'm using are not updated to be compatible with 12.11 yet.

I'll update to 12.11 as soon as possible and try again.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Kayser wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:
I'm still on 12.10, since some of the mods I'm using are not updated to be compatible with 12.11 yet.

I'll update to 12.11 as soon as possible and try again.

Thats probably not going to fix it!

I know whats the problem, you updated my mod from 0.1.x to 0.2.x, and i didnt include a migration script (my bad :P)

Heres a small script that should clear out the ghost entity

Code: Select all

/c  
local p = game.local_player.position
local X = p.x
local Y = p.y
local power = {}		
		panels =	game.players[1].surface.find_entities_filtered{area = {{X -2, Y - 2 }, {X + 2  , Y +2 }}, name= "burner-generator-power"}
		if panels[1] ~= nil then
		panels[1].destroy()	end

So just stand near the ghost and paste that into the console :D

let me know if it works

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

Klonan wrote:

Code: Select all

/c  
local p = game.local_player.position
local X = p.x
local Y = p.y
local power = {}		
		panels =	game.players[1].surface.find_entities_filtered{area = {{X -2, Y - 2 }, {X + 2  , Y +2 }}, name= "burner-generator-power"}
		if panels[1] ~= nil then
		panels[1].destroy()	end

So just stand near the ghost and paste that into the console :D

let me know if it works
Fixed. Thanks!

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.12.11+] Burner Generator

Post by Klonan »

The mod has been updated to fix a slight issue when using blueprints

jouki
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jouki »

Hello, may I ask you? Would you mind if I use your source code for my plugin? I changed the balance of electricity production, add new research and change entity graphics (I used recolored rafinery) but I let your script untouched (I mean the part which makes whole thing functional). I'd like to create some "General Improvements plugin" and this was the first thing I did. :) (right now I have sorta new tier of solar panel)
Credits in a mod-thread is sure thing!

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

jouki wrote:Hello, may I ask you? Would you mind if I use your source code for my plugin? I changed the balance of electricity production, add new research and change entity graphics (I used recolored rafinery) but I let your script untouched (I mean the part which makes whole thing functional). I'd like to create some "General Improvements plugin" and this was the first thing I did. :) (right now I have sorta new tier of solar panel)
Credits in a mod-thread is sure thing!
Sure, there is a better version of the fluid script code in the KS power mod:
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=18596

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

/rez

If this is better discussed in KS Power, I'll move it there.

Why did you choose an efficiency lower than steam? From my cursory research, Stirling engines (aka burner engines) are more energy efficient than other external combustion methods. Their drawback is the lower power and higher weight and capital cost. I'm a big fan of trade-offs in game design, so a more efficient, but lower output power could still be an interesting decision at some point. One could run an entire factory on these, if striving for a lower pollution production. More options = more fun.

charga600
Inserter
Inserter

Post by charga600 »

Hey Klonan, love this mod, is a great alternative to boilers and steam engines, and much easier to setup :)
Just wanted to ask something. I'm working on my own mod to add a fusion reactor into the game, but seeing as the only two item that generate power are solar panels and boilers/steam engines I'm having to do it in a similar way to how you have created your burner generator. Now I'm new to Lua and I'm an OK programmer outside of it, but when it comes to your code in the control.lua file, I'm far from understanding in any depth what is going on, I'm getting little bits and the jist of whats going on, but could you do me a massive favor and add in a few more annotations to that file? Even a separate text file with the annotation would be sweet.
hanks in advance, charga

Return to “Mods”