[MOD 0.12.x] Terraforming - Bridges, Moats & Drawbridges

Topics and discussion about specific mods
MudRaker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Terraforming - Bridges, Moats & Drawbridges

Post by MudRaker »

Now updated to support 0.12.17+
Sorry it took so long - I've been busy on other ventures and I haven't checked back as often as I should.
Thanks to by goku90504 for the PM to alert me to the problem. :)

I've also retested the multi-player code and added some additional defensive code ... there shouldn't be any more "Player" script errors so let me know if anyone is having any problems. Note that terraformers will resort to messaging all players if the player that placed them is no longer registered in the game when they want to talk.
Terra_Incognito wrote:I have a strange bug in my game. Whenever I try and pick up any of the placed bridge builders I get the following error:
__Terraforming__/terraformers.lua:38:
assertion failed!
Somehow the registry of terraformers is damaged. I've added recovery code now so that you can mine the problematic terraformers and restore proper operation. If it happens again, send me a copy of the world and I'll see if I can find out what happened.
cartmen180 wrote:unless you add some sort of 'flying' mob this mod is just plain cheating imo.
I won't argue - it is OP, so don't use it if you don't like that. Personally I like being able to protect key parts of the factory and to funnel attacks through specific areas without resorting to turning them off entirely.

goku90504
Inserter
Inserter

Post by goku90504 »

@cartmen
mods are by definition not cheating they may make the game less fun to play than without sometimes but they are basically house rules for a board/card game those little rules that a family or group of friends come up with when they find the regular rules of the game not to taste or that a tournament sets up to make their games a bit different from normal

aRatNamedSammy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by aRatNamedSammy »

tried your mod recently.. funny :lol: and usefull..
why funny :?: well, see the line up there :mrgreen:
spitters line up.png
spitters line up.png (827.57 KiB) Viewed 11266 times
need some meat :twisted:
Teeth for Two (so sorry my bad english)

MudRaker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MudRaker »

See the top post for the latest version!

Recent changes - Jan 2016
  • v0.12.3 solves the range limitations!
  • It introduces two different solutions as independent new technology levels beyond terraforming-3
  • A new prefabrication plant and recipes allow ingredients to be combined into a single prefabricated package that stacks to 100
  • New logistics-enabled versions of the bridge builder and moat digger allow robots to bring supplies & take away by-products
  • Minor bug fixes and improvements

Lurkily
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lurkily »

Be nice if there were a way it could lay belts as it advances, and suck resources from the belts. Even the logistics-enabled ones require you to babysit them along with roboports, especially when bridging wide gulfs of water.

War_Junky_91
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by War_Junky_91 »

I am using the latest version of your mod downloaded from here and the standard moat builder (i have not tried the logistics enabled one) is devouring all the wood i put in it after building the first piece of moat. I will fill it up to max, it will run one cycle, the next cycle it has 10 pieces of wood left, it then runs a 3rd cycle with no wood left, and then it shuts off. But if i feed a single piece of wood in at a time it will run just fine, but i have to do it every cycle.

Tylkas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tylkas »

War_Junky_91 wrote:I am using the latest version of your mod downloaded from here and the standard moat builder (i have not tried the logistics enabled one) is devouring all the wood i put in it after building the first piece of moat. I will fill it up to max, it will run one cycle, the next cycle it has 10 pieces of wood left, it then runs a 3rd cycle with no wood left, and then it shuts off. But if i feed a single piece of wood in at a time it will run just fine, but i have to do it every cycle.
I think the main issue is here: ./control.lua:655

Code: Select all

for i, v in pairs(inv) do
                e.insert {name=i, count=v}
        end
Why: (C) https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?tit ... ity#insert
Insert
Parameter: Lua/ItemStack
Inserts the stack into the entity, this works the same way as inserters/shift clicking, the inventory is chosen automatically.
So, if there is place for wood as fuel - it will be placed to fuel slot...

Tylkas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tylkas »

My workaround for this issue: http://pastebin.com/TT0HvtPg

So, at first will be placed fuel and modules. And after - inventory. In that case if you put for example: stone, raw-wood and coal (as fuel), then wood will not be placed to fuel slot as long as coal exists.

ProphetofEden
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ProphetofEden »

i love this mod im currently using it to customize a small island into a factory so that no space is wasted and i can have perfect angles and sides

Crowbar Felt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Crowbar Felt »

Tylkas wrote:My workaround for this issue: [ Had to snip URL ]

So, at first will be placed fuel and modules. And after - inventory. In that case if you put for example: stone, raw-wood and coal (as fuel), then wood will not be placed to fuel slot as long as coal exists.
How would one install this to the control text? I tinkered around and cannot seem to make it work.

Tylkas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tylkas »

Crowbar Felt wrote:

How would one install this to the control text? I tinkered around and cannot seem to make it work.
Its diff syntax similar with "git diff". If you are using Linux, patching will be very simple (HOWTO: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/appy-patch ... h-command/)

But if you want to do it with your hands, remove "red" strings and add "green". Affected files indicated with "---" and "+++". Location, where you need to apply changes you can find near "@@".

Crowbar Felt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Crowbar Felt »

Tylkas wrote:
Crowbar Felt wrote:

Its diff syntax similar with "git diff". If you are using Linux, patching will be very simple (HOWTO: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/appy-patch ... h-command/)

But if you want to do it with your hands, remove "red" strings and add "green". Affected files indicated with "---" and "+++". Location, where you need to apply changes you can find near "@@".
After tinkering on Notepad ++ I got it to work!
Thanks a bunch!
As long as both slots are occupied with a fuel other than wood planks it works.

bmwpro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bmwpro »

Great Mod!. Seemse to be a slight bug. When putting a stack of wood in the moat machine. The whole stack gets consumed when the machine finishes one cycle. Any chance you can fix?

TheRealBecks
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheRealBecks »

Hi,

first of all: Great work! :) We're using this mod to dig moats all around of our bases with only one defended entry left. The problem here is, that the enemies won't found the path anymore. It seems to be that they are using a cached path and disappear a few tiles before that moat. Isn't fun anymore, as we don't get attacked anymore... :/ Is there any way to delete the cached paths via command in the dedicated server?

Regards,
Becks

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

This is really cool.

Not quite unattended (bridges aren't wide enough for roboports so...) but still pretty great.

Also non-prefab fords can't really be built; for some reason the machine uses the entire stack of wood on every tile.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Minor bug report (or feature request, maybe): Logistics-enabled terraforming machines don't accept solid fuel from the robots, but they should.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Vas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vas »

I would like only part of this mod. I don't want the ability to add water anywhere because that would be op and exploitable. In an example, you can create a wall of water and enemies will not be able to get past, close your base off entirely and pollute as much as you want, then clean up the mines when finished and take down your water wall after cleaning up the enemies who can't stop you from shooting them.

I also wondered if this mod would work with Finite Water, because if it did, then it would be a little better in logic as you could make each hole of water you create take the same amount of water that this mod depletes per block. If you can do this, there may be a chance I'd use the mod, as it would then require you to remove water from somewhere else in order to place it in another location. It would be better if you can make your items run checks on the area it is making a moat around to make sure the player isn't closing off access to some of his stuff and make it stop making a moat if there is less than 1 block of space to enter in but that would be rather complex checking each area that is being filled so I doubt it'll get done. Plus you do have draw bridges which are also op, in the fact that you can cut off the enemy entirely and walk in and out yourself. Bleh. :/

I don't like the terraforming building either, if I were to just want to build a bridge. Mostly because I don't want to use exploits to block aliens, i just want to be able to lay out a bridge made of wood, stone, or concrete, and if I deconstruct that bridge, it turn back into the water it used to be. Do you think you can make an alternate mod that allows players to by hand, build bridges using wood, stone bricks, or concrete? And remove that annoying limit of not being able to build floors next to water. Perhaps you can require the bridges to use 3 times more materials than the original floors did. 6 times more materials, for deep water. If you need to make a new item for floors at the edge of water, make it 2x the materials, so as to "compensate for mushy terrain".
-- By this section, I mean I want it to be like laying normal floor tiling next to and over water, but using a different item to do each area specified above so I'd have to specifically create "edge concrete" "water concrete" "deep water concrete" which is where you get the cost of the material. This way I can make a bridge as wide or narrow as I want.

I'd also like to know, is it possible to build on these bridges you can make? So I can lay out a rail, or set up pipes?
You can get my mods by clicking here, and use discussions there or PMs here to suggest or report issues.
Want some blueprints made by me? Click here then!

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Vas wrote:I'd also like to know, is it possible to build on these bridges you can make? So I can lay out a rail, or set up pipes?
Yes it is possible. It creates land terrain tiles that are no different than any other land.

But if you don't like the things a mod adds then you always have the option of not downloading and installing that mod...

MudRaker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MudRaker »

See the top post for the latest version!

Recent changes - Apr 2016
  • Fix bug where the non-logistic moat digger and bridge builder machines with multiple fuel slots don't work properly when using a recipe that includes a burnable ingredient
  • Logistics terraformers now run on coal or solid fuel. They request coal by default - simply open the machine and load in the desired fuel to change what it requests. Note that every operation takes at least one fuel though, so solid fuel does not last any longer than coal!
Lurkily wrote:Be nice if there were a way it could lay belts as it advances, and suck resources from the belts. Even the logistics-enabled ones require you to babysit them along with roboports, especially when bridging wide gulfs of water.
Interesting idea ... I'll have a play to see what I can do.
War_Junky_91 wrote:I am using the latest version of your mod downloaded from here and the standard moat builder (i have not tried the logistics enabled one) is devouring all the wood i put in it after building the first piece of moat. I will fill it up to max, it will run one cycle, the next cycle it has 10 pieces of wood left, it then runs a 3rd cycle with no wood left, and then it shuts off. But if i feed a single piece of wood in at a time it will run just fine, but i have to do it every cycle.
Tylkas wrote:I think the main issue is here: ./control.lua:655

Code: Select all

for i, v in pairs(inv) do
                e.insert {name=i, count=v}
        end
bmwpro wrote:Great Mod!. Seemse to be a slight bug. When putting a stack of wood in the moat machine. The whole stack gets consumed when the machine finishes one cycle. Any chance you can fix?
I've fixed this bug which was introduced when I added multiple fuel slots. Up to a stack of wood or planks was going into the second fuel slot and being lost. Thanks to Tylkas for the workaround in the meantime. Note that pre-fabricated moats and fords didn't have this problem, only recipes which use wood or planks in the machine.
ProphetofEden wrote:i love this mod im currently using it to customize a small island into a factory so that no space is wasted and i can have perfect angles and sides
I'm glad you're finding it useful ProphetofEden.
TheRealBecks wrote:Hi,
first of all: Great work! :) We're using this mod to dig moats all around of our bases with only one defended entry left. The problem here is, that the enemies won't found the path anymore. It seems to be that they are using a cached path and disappear a few tiles before that moat. Isn't fun anymore, as we don't get attacked anymore... :/ Is there any way to delete the cached paths via command in the dedicated server?
Regards, Becks
Thanks Becks. I haven't experienced this problem, but I haven't been using a dedicated server ... I thought paths were automatically recalculated. It might cause some confusion for existing unit groups that are attacking but new groups should find their way. Looking through the doco, I can't see any force methods to affect the pathfinding. If you can reproduce this, post a copy of the world so I can experiment.
JasonC wrote:This is really cool.
Not quite unattended (bridges aren't wide enough for roboports so...) but still pretty great.
Also non-prefab fords can't really be built; for some reason the machine uses the entire stack of wood on every tile.
Thanks JasonC. The non-prefab fords bug is fixed as mentioned above. You may like to try running two or more bridge builders side by side but staggered slightly ... make your bridge as wide as you like.
JasonC wrote:Minor bug report (or feature request, maybe): Logistics-enabled terraforming machines don't accept solid fuel from the robots, but they should.
Yeah, it asks for coal. It is a feature that I neglected to document :-( They have to request a specific fuel and I didn't want to have multiple versions for different fuels. And, due to limitations in the modding API, each operation uses a whole fuel unit, so you don't get the benefit of the more valuable fuel source. But just for you :-) I've added support for you to change the fuel.
Vas wrote:I would like only part of this mod....
Hi Vas. No, I haven't tried it with Finite Water. Yes, it can be OP, so feel free not to use it - there are other mods that can build bridges if you prefer.

Vas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vas »

I have ye to find any mods that allow you to build bridges. Land fill is the only one, and that's dirt, not concrete and by rough guess I bet you still can't build concrete on top of it near water. I don't know LUA, so I was unable to alter that mod to do what I need.
You can get my mods by clicking here, and use discussions there or PMs here to suggest or report issues.
Want some blueprints made by me? Click here then!

Return to “Mods”