[MOD 0.15] SmartTrains 2.0.5

Topics and discussion about specific mods
NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.30+] SmartTrains 0.3.82

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Not sure if I'll be able to ask this question properly without explaining what I have setup. So a overview of what I did.

I have a 3 station setup for my iron. I plan on expanding it in the future but wanted to get one part setup first.
Getting to the station has 3 holding areas. I put smart stations in the holding area to act as a station selecter (though I may change this to happen at the mine instead, not sure) and they decide where the train should unload based on total items in the smart chests.

That deciding setup is a bunch of combinators comparing the 3 stations and outputting a 1. Assuming two values aren't the same, there will always be 2 statements as true for one station and 1 as true for another. I divide by two and send the only remaining signal to be multiplied by it's station number.
In my case station a is #2 in the line, station b is #3 and station c is #4.
It then outputs a green signal to the holding stations and this is where I have a issue.

The holding stations are setup to leave when the signal is true, so they will wait there, forever... That'd be fine if it was only one train, but since there is 3 stations technically all three could be used at once.
So my question is, is there a way to have a timeout so that if a signal isn't true in x seconds to just go to a available station?
Alternatively, can you reset a signal after a train goes somewhere? I guess that could fix it too. Hmm, that might be the best option.

I'm thinking I might need pictures for this, so I will explain some more later.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

NoriSilverrage wrote:The holding stations are setup to leave when the signal is true, so they will wait there, forever... That'd be fine if it was only one train, but since there is 3 stations technically all three could be used at once.
So my question is, is there a way to have a timeout so that if a signal isn't true in x seconds to just go to a available station?
Alternatively, can you reset a signal after a train goes somewhere? I guess that could fix it too. Hmm, that might be the best option.
The 3 stations are all directly linked to the same wire? I think if you put a decider between each station that only propagates the signal if there is no train at the smart train stop (signal locomotives == 0) it should only send 1 train.
Like this: --- Station 1 --- decider ---Station 2 --- decider ---- Station 3 (though you might have to delay it before reaching the deciders, since the train stop doesn't check the signal every tick..)
As for reseting: When a train leaves a smart train stop the loco signal goes from > 0 to 0, could be used as a pulse to trigger something :)

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Thanks for the idea. I couldn't get it to work quite right, but I figured something else out.

I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out. So far it seems to work how I want but I need to monitor it some more.
I'm planning on adding another station above the 3 unloaders. This station will be the outpost decider so that I can simply add more mining outposts.
Line Settings
Closeup of wiring
Full station

Ihavegumgum
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ihavegumgum »

How do I change the amount at which the remaining fuel train should go to refuel?

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by terror_gnom »

@Choumiko: Do you think it is possible to add a editable stationnumber? Xeteth asked for the same and I dont want to build further on my system depending on that funktion. Would be really great :D

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Ihavegumgum wrote:How do I change the amount at which the remaining fuel train should go to refuel?
click the ST-Settings button you get when looking at a train schedule or a train stop ui, the first 2 textfields. Value is in MJ, the equivalent of coal is shown and updated after saving

@terror_zwerg :lol: i'll answer with a picture

Currently only the (wip) GUI, but 4 day weekend coming up :)
It will work like this (i think):
A number can be assigned to multiple stations. When you check the "use station mapping" in the line window, Signal # and Station # will use the mapping to determine the desired station.
The train will choose the first station in the schedule after his current station that matches in the mapping, if it finds none it simply goes to the next.

In the rules window you can see some other changes:
No change rule: checks the inventory every 2 seconds (default value), if it didn't change the rule is considered true. It's the Autodepart from trains, just per station.
Right now either Full, Empty or No change can be active at once. I'm wondering if Full/Empty or No change makes sense.

Signal # and Station # can be active at the same time, signal # has priority, station # is used as a fallback if signal # doesn't point to a valid station/mapping.

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by terror_gnom »

Great :D Thank you very much :)

Aber das lange wochenende ist doch Vatertag... Da muss man doch mit nem Bollerwagen und viel Bier durch die gegend ziehen^^ ich bekomm da nie was produktives hin :P

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Those look like some stellar changes! :)

Xeteth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeteth »

Looks amazing Choumiko! I have finished setting up my train system, I have even implemented the station 'addresses' that I will be using haha. Can't wait!

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

This mod is so great that some day it should be implemented in vanilla game. I don't know how I could play without it.

sckuzzle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sckuzzle »

Thank you for the mod; very useful!

A bug report:

If you have refuel stations turned off, but have a station called "refuel" in your train schedule, the train will not autodepart! It waits the full length of time. Changing the "Refuel station" name in Global settings fixes this issue.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello,

i don't get the refuel thingy.

I created a station called 'Refuel' and inserted only one coal into the loco but it don't go to the refuel station.
When i check the refuel checkbox, it resets itself after closing the menu.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

steinio wrote:I created a station called 'Refuel' and inserted only one coal into the loco but it don't go to the refuel station.
When i check the refuel checkbox, it resets itself after closing the menu.
Sounds like the train is assigned to a line. Trains on a line need the Refuel option in the Trainline window set, the one in the Traininfo window (top most) is ignored/corrected whenever you change it.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Ah the save button did the job.
Thank you.

Now i get a lot of other errors...
Probably only the fat controller message is because of refuel activated.
The hard crash could be an other issue.
Attachments
All errors together.png
All errors together.png (4.04 MiB) Viewed 7625 times

View unread Posts

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

steinio wrote:Now i get a lot of other errors...
Probably only the fat controller message is because of refuel activated.
The hard crash could be an other issue.
Mod versions would be helpfull. The FatController error doesn't make sense for the latest release. Don't know about the hard crash

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Used current version (0.3.82) and FATController 0.4.11, but couldn't replicate after new game start.
The crash was after clicking on a colored loco so it could also be from the colored trains mod.
Updated FATController anyway.

But the important thing is, that the refueling now works.
Thank you.

PS: I just like to post screenshots :)

View unread Posts

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.27+] SmartTrains 0.3.81

Post by siggboy »

terror_gnom wrote:I started to build exactly that: A logistic network for trains, where you got 3 station types: loading (passive provider), unloading (requester), waiting (even trains want a evening off :lol: ).

*edit* I saw xeteth wants do do the same... hmmm :D
I've also built a setup that does something along these lines: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick.

Spent a LOT of time on this one, but it's very stable now and I'd trust my megabase with it (if I only had one :).

My setup has the following properties:
  • Outposts are not visited unless they have resources in stock, so the trains won't return half-empty from an outpost.
  • Outposts are "locked" while a train is on the way to that outpost. It's not possible that two trains visit an outpost shortly after eachother, and then the second train will leave mostly empty.
  • Trains are not sent to an outpost that offers a resource, unless that resource is also in demand. The unloading/factory has to signal "demand" -- somewhat like a requester chest, but not quite.
  • Waiting is done at a central depot (hub station). All trains go through here and get directed from here.
When I designed it, what I had in mind was mainly connecting ore outposts (quarries) to a smelting area, but it can be generalized for other purposes. None of my bases are large enough to warrant that. It's great if you play with many different ores (Bob's Mods).

Thinking about it as a "logistic network for trains" never came to my mind, but in fact it's pretty much what I've built.

Actually you gave me the idea of picking the unloading station dynamically as well (when a train leaves an outpost), just like the loading station is picked when a train leaves the depot. This would pretty much turn the unloading stations into actual "requester chests".

Sigh. And I thought I can rest now that my design is finished :).

I'm interested in feedback from other SmartTrains users, especially if you have large bases where you could test it.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Wow sounds really great.

This would mean the timetables are obsolete, because on demand a free train would scheduled just-in-time for duty.

I imagine the depot looks really good for train enthusiasts.

Greetings steinio

View unread Posts

janook
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by janook »

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my rail tankers to leave stations that have low oil flow.

I have Min flow rate set all the way to 200 for testing but my rail tankers all still stay at stations for their full waiting period. The tankers are assigned to a line with "depart" checked.

Am I doing something wrong?

Global Settings;

Rules:

Single Train:

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

janook wrote:I'm having a lot of trouble getting my rail tankers to leave stations that have low oil flow.

I have Min flow rate set all the way to 200 for testing but my rail tankers all still stay at stations for their full waiting period. The tankers are assigned to a line with "depart" checked.

Am I doing something wrong?
I've never managed to make the "Depart" option work in my games. I think it's bugged. Somebody mentioned a few posts ago that "Depart" does nothing if you have a "Refuel" station but the refuel option is not enabled. Maybe you should change the name of your "Refuel" station in the settings, as that is supposed to fix it.

Regarding your oil problem: there's only one good way, and that is to make a combinator circuit that actually checks for oil availability and only then sends a train to the oil outpost. That's not easy to do, however.

If you want an easy solution, just have the train wait "forever until full" at the Dead Oil deposit. It's basically be a mobile oil tank that will go to your station when it's full. Of course that means your train will spend most of its time doing nothing, waiting around at the Dead Oil deposit. Not the prettiest of solutions, but it works.

By the way: you can put two small pumps on each side of the rail tanker, resulting in a flow of 120 oil/second. That fills a tank in 21 seconds.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Return to “Mods”