[MOD 0.12.x] Marathon 1.0.3

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Bizobinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Marathon 1.0.3

Post by Bizobinator »

A quick request: would it be possible to extend the "fuel values halved" to the Bio Industries mod? It adds Coke Coal, which has 18MJ fuel value. I've manually dropped it to 9MJ, but it would be nice to have support for future editions if possible :)

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Bizobinator wrote:A quick request: would it be possible to extend the "fuel values halved" to the Bio Industries mod? It adds Coke Coal, which has 18MJ fuel value. I've manually dropped it to 9MJ, but it would be nice to have support for future editions if possible :)
Absolutely.

Bizobinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bizobinator »

Afforess wrote:
Bizobinator wrote:A quick request: would it be possible to extend the "fuel values halved" to the Bio Industries mod? It adds Coke Coal, which has 18MJ fuel value. I've manually dropped it to 9MJ, but it would be nice to have support for future editions if possible :)
Absolutely.
Awesome. Thank you ^_^

Strangeone
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Strangeone »

When running a game with Bob's mods and Marathon are the recipes for the higher level machines accounted for?
For example in bobsmods/recipe-production.lua I see mention of 'chemical-plant' and 'chemical-plant-2' but no mention of the higher plants.
This is also true for electrolysers and other items.
I would like to see the higher Bob's items have a material list for each items as it would be more difficult to build each higher item.

If it is being covered(possibly by a different file) then please ignore.
If not then higher lever items should be covered as there would never be a desire to advance your factory to the more productive machines.
As it stands because the higher machines are the cost of the base low level machine it doesn't feel 'Marathon' to build these cheap better items.

Thank You

Shenpen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x - 0.12.x] Marathon

Post by Shenpen »

orzelek wrote: I admit I was tempted but didn't try to use marathon with bob's mods. Main reason is what you wrote above - I'm not sure how the recipes will interact between bob's and marathon changed ones.
Second reason would be - my bob's game with science tweaker already takes more then 40 hours to launch a rocket :D

I have attempted this, and it works nicely with a few minor issues. No major problems, but the recipies for "red" chemical plants and "red" electrolysers are probably wrong as their recipy no longer require use of the purple versions of these. That makes it a bit easy to get from purple to red level of these. Havent found the same problem for asemblers. Havent tested the higher versions ...yet.

Other that these very minor issues it works great with bobs mods and I find that the combination is really how factorio is meant to be played. Early game is a lot better. You cant get away with a half decent factory by just upgrading soon and a lot. The challenge of this mod will make you do better builds because suddenly you really need that.

Thanks for your efforts.

Wulfson
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wulfson »

Yeah, Bob's Mods has updated recently, so the compatibility edits in Marathon are probably out of date now. I haven't had time to go over all of it myself to submit an update; if anyone else would like to, I'm sure Afforess would be open to it.

Bizobinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bizobinator »

Any chance you could update it for 0.14 :)?

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Bizobinator wrote:Any chance you could update it for 0.14 :)?
I was on vacation, but I am back. Expect an update in 24 hours.

Iorek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Iorek »

1.1.5 on the mods.factorio

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Afforess/marathon

has bobs mods Chemical plant 3,4 and Electrolyser 3 and 4 wrong, they are using Chemical plant and Electrolyser 1 Materials.

same is true for compressor 2,3 Pump 3,4

T1 Materials

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Anyone ran marathon together with hard crafting? I would love some additional steps in ore processing with marathon...
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Bortos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bortos »

Afforess wrote:
Bizobinator wrote:Any chance you could update it for 0.14 :)?
I was on vacation, but I am back. Expect an update in 24 hours.
Hi, The fill and empty petroleum gas canister also incorrect and creates petroleum gas from steel

Hope you find the time to update the mod, as I love it. Thanks!

SteelGiant
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SteelGiant »

I think the nerf to solid fuel goes too far. In the current setup, unlike the 50% nerf to other fuel values, it actually makes solid fuel non viable for supporting a factory. The only way to sustainably support a base is to use solar panels.

I have run the full numbers in detail, but just to give a brief outline:

A pumpjack producing at 0.1/s takes 100s to produce 10 crude. That 10 crude makes 4.5 light oil, which in turn makes 1.125 solid fuel.

The 1.125 solid fuel is worth 11.25 MJ (at 50% efficiency in a boiler ~ 5.5 MJ of electrical energy)

The pumpjack alone costs 9MJ, let alone the cost of refiining it and processing to solid fuel. This gives a net loss of over 3.5 MJ electrical energy.

It is basically energy negative to convert heavy to light oil.

Simply making a net energy gain from solid fuel requires efficiency modules.

Best case with 20% power use at all stages, you get net about 40 kW per pumpjack. compare this to vanilla where you can use speed modules in the pumps and productivity in the refineries and i think the net power is around 500 kW (no modules, or more) per pumpjack.

I think a more reasonable nerf would be to put either the no module net power of pumpjacks to 50% of vanilla in line with the other fuel nerfs, or to be particularly brutal, put the full efficiency setup to 50% of vanilla baseline.

I feel this would be a more interesting balance than the current, which leaves only solar viable. This is especially exacerbated in my current playthrough where I have very high biter settings, and so expanding for more resources is non trivial.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Hello Aforess, just dropping by to say thank you one more time for marathon, enjoying the experience every time.

I have messed around a bit with numbers and playtime, and I think that you should include price increases to the refinery, chemical plant and pumpjack as well, as well tweak the electric furnace. I did some calculations, and I think that further increasing their costs in steel and iron would nicely balance the endgame of marathon, where you just add more and more copper processign while remaining on the same level with steel and iron production.

Here is what I did, as a starting point for you to consider:

Code: Select all

{
    type = "recipe",
    name = "oil-refinery",
    enabled = false,

energy_required = 50,
    ingredients = {
      {"steel-plate", 300},
      {"iron-gear-wheel", 250},
      {"stone-brick", 250},
      {"electronic-circuit", 250},
      {"pipe", 300}
    },
    result = "oil-refinery",
  },
  {
    type = "recipe",
    name = "pumpjack",
    energy_required = 20,
    ingredients =
    {
      {"steel-plate", 150},
      {"iron-gear-wheel", 50},
      {"electronic-circuit", 50},
      {"pipe", 50},
    },
    result = "pumpjack",
    enabled = false
  },
  {
    type = "recipe",
    name = "chemical-plant",
    energy_required = 10,
    enabled = false,
    ingredients =
    {
      {"steel-plate", 50},
      {"iron-gear-wheel", 50},
      {"electronic-circuit", 50},
      {"pipe", 50}
    },
    result= "chemical-plant"
  },
  {
    type = "recipe",
    name = "electric-furnace",
    ingredients = 
	{
		{"steel-plate", 30},
		{"advanced-circuit", 10},
		{"stone-brick", 20}
	},
    result = "electric-furnace",
    energy_required = 5,
    enabled = false
  },
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello,

i added some Bob's mods but the game errored with missing steel-gear-wheel error from Bob's Plates.
If i add Bob's Plates the game starts but i don't want them.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Kormer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kormer »

Are you the same Aforess from ROM:AND? If so, I guess I've been playing your mods for almost a decade now and one of these days I'll actually finish a game. :D

Doublespin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Doublespin »

recipe.select makes some strange changes of recipes:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=37723
I'm not sure if this is a general problem with the recipe.select function from marathon or from the stdlib. Nevertheless it seems to be caused by your mod?
I'm not a native speaker (obviously), so I will appreciate every pm with corrections :)

jimmy1235
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jimmy1235 »

I am having the same issue as stenio. This mod is currently causing a crash on the same part, and I am using bob's mods with plates disabled.

Mr.YaR
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mr.YaR »

Is there a way to reduce the costs multipliers (without rewriting all values by hand) right now?

For lan purpose we need half marathon version as the regular one is too slow. Producing 20k steel per hour does not suit our needs lol. And handcrafting is near to impossible (needs to clear out all the inventory to craft one T2 crafting machine)... This was without bob's mod. Bob makes it better, but still, we simply don't have enough time and stamina to play that long =) while vanilla prices seem to be a joke.

Schismatise
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Schismatise »

@Mr.Yar

If you search the mod website for Expensive Science, you can quite easily edit the file in notepad and change the settings to your liking. For example, I got rid of the exponential increases and just made science 5x more expensive across the board. This seems like a nice compromise between Marathon and vanilla, although it doesn't increase resource costs themselves, you still need much more resources to make the extra science. If you combine this with another mod Research Revolution (which adds features that are upcoming in Factorio 0.15) there is further resource costs for science in the late game also.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Science Cost Tweaker is another mod that makes research take more resources and it also supports alterations to the ingredients so that it supports Bob's mods by making research bottles take various bob's ingredients.

Return to “Mods”