[MOD 1.1] Natural Evolution - All things Alien!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Natural Evolution - All things Alien! - 5.3.0

Post by NoriSilverrage »

sooo, just installed this and ran into the worm that shoots out new biters. How on earth are you supposed to deal with that? I put down 40 turrets with piercing ammo and by the time my last turret is destroyed there are hundreds of new biters. And this is "only" at 68% evolution. I shudder to think of how impossible it will be at 100%.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

NoriSilverrage wrote:sooo, just installed this and ran into the worm that shoots out new biters. How on earth are you supposed to deal with that? I put down 40 turrets with piercing ammo and by the time my last turret is destroyed there are hundreds of new biters. And this is "only" at 68% evolution. I shudder to think of how impossible it will be at 100%.
Well N.E. is supposed to be a challenge, not just plain old vanilla enemies 8-)

Upgrade your ammo and turrets. Use Bio ammo. Mods like Bobs had a sniper turret that can deal with them also.
Good luck!

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

TheSAguy wrote:
NoriSilverrage wrote:sooo, just installed this and ran into the worm that shoots out new biters. How on earth are you supposed to deal with that? I put down 40 turrets with piercing ammo and by the time my last turret is destroyed there are hundreds of new biters. And this is "only" at 68% evolution. I shudder to think of how impossible it will be at 100%.
Well N.E. is supposed to be a challenge, not just plain old vanilla enemies 8-)

Upgrade your ammo and turrets. Use Bio ammo. Mods like Bobs had a sniper turret that can deal with them also.
Good luck!
Oh I get that. I like the changes overall. In particular, I noticed that when I hit a spawner biters come from other bases to defend it. That's pretty sweet.
I think my issue is I'm not far enough along for my evolution level because I've been taking things really slow and have science overhaul installed.

Still, the worm turret spawning two big biters every few seconds does seem a little much to me, but that's my opinion.

Raught19
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Raught19 »

Hey SAguy, I enjoy your mod, so much so I've been working on my own mod to accompany yours/bobs/swarm with weaponry balanced around those mods together. Which I will be posting soon, doing a full play-through with it now to ensure its balanced as can be.

Everything about your mod is surperb, if I could make a suggestion could we have an additional option for the difficulty in the config? One for double Health, and one for double damage.

I find, especially with swarm + bobs enemies, double health + double damage is possible, but feels very clunky to me, as the only real way to deal damage to them is to use turrets/creeping, or buffing up weapon damage, which can make early game too easy. I myself really enjoy the extra damage though, as I feel the biters just didn't do enough damage.

My only other suggestion at this time would be, I feel like there is some inbalance with the Hatchery, by the time you get to be able to spawn your own biters/spitters, they are already much weaker than the enemy biters. I feel like they should be beefed up a bit in terms of damage or health or be affected by the difficulty option in the config.

P.S. Also the worms are great, there should be turret upgrades for the Worms :D

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

@Raught19 - You sir are crazy. Though I suppose you have bobs mods so you get some nice ammo and turrets. I'm gonna have to add something along those lines.

Raught19
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Raught19 »

NoriSilverrage wrote:@Raught19 - You sir are crazy. Though I suppose you have bobs mods so you get some nice ammo and turrets. I'm gonna have to add something along those lines.
I actually don't use bobs weapon mods, just his enemies, so I'm actually not sure what his weapon mods entail. But I do use my own modded weapons, different types of ammo, new guns, etc all with their own purpose. I will be posting it soon so keep an eye out :) I'm just doing a playthrough testing for bugs :D

Shrooblord
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shrooblord »

I have a crash upon game load, which has to do with the following block of code from Expansion's data-updates.lua:

Code: Select all

--- Rocket Part Cost Tweaks	
if NEConfig.HarderEndGame then
	for _, recipe in pairs({"low-density-structure", "rocket-fuel", "rocket-control-unit", "rocket-part", "satellite"}) do
		for _, ingredient in pairs(data.raw.recipe[recipe].ingredients) do
[42]			ingredient[2] = ingredient[2] * 2
		end
	end
end
Line 42 "ingredient[2] = ingredient[2] * 2" throws an 'attempting to perform arithmetic on '?' (a nil value)' error on initialisation. I'm assuming something isn't defined properly somewhere, somehow. You mention this in the first post and, indeed, tuning the setting "NE.HarderEndGame" in config.lua to "false" resolves the issue.

But... why? :P
I mean, sure, it completely bypasses the conflicting line of code this way, but why is the code throwing an error in the first place?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Shrooblord wrote:I have a crash upon game load, which has to do with the following block of code from Expansion's data-updates.lua:

Code: Select all

--- Rocket Part Cost Tweaks	
if NEConfig.HarderEndGame then
	for _, recipe in pairs({"low-density-structure", "rocket-fuel", "rocket-control-unit", "rocket-part", "satellite"}) do
		for _, ingredient in pairs(data.raw.recipe[recipe].ingredients) do
[42]			ingredient[2] = ingredient[2] * 2
		end
	end
end
Line 42 "ingredient[2] = ingredient[2] * 2" throws an 'attempting to perform arithmetic on '?' (a nil value)' error on initialisation. I'm assuming something isn't defined properly somewhere, somehow. You mention this in the first post and, indeed, tuning the setting "NE.HarderEndGame" in config.lua to "false" resolves the issue.

But... why? :P
I mean, sure, it completely bypasses the conflicting line of code this way, but why is the code throwing an error in the first place?
All that finction does is double the ingredients of rocket components

What other mods are you using?
For some reason Diesel power mod was causing that with someone else.

Thanks

Shrooblord
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shrooblord »

Hm I do use KSPower which has Diesel Power integrated in that, but having read what you said about that in the first post, I tried uninstalling KSPower but had the same result; there's another mod that's causing a conflict.

I have a ton of mods active. If you want my entire list, here it is:
My Modlist
I could go through a binary exclusion test and see which one(s) is/are the conflicting one(s), but I'd do that either later today or later this week. Feel free to test for yourself in the meantime, of course. I suspect the culprits to be any of the following:
Culprits
If I had to take a stab at it, I'd investigate these mods. But no time now - gotta go! Catch ya later :D

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Shrooblord wrote:Hm I do use KSPower which has Diesel Power integrated in that, but having read what you said about that in the first post, I tried uninstalling KSPower but had the same result; there's another mod that's causing a conflict.

I have a ton of mods active. If you want my entire list, here it is:
My Modlist
I could go through a binary exclusion test and see which one(s) is/are the conflicting one(s), but I'd do that either later today or later this week. Feel free to test for yourself in the meantime, of course. I suspect the culprits to be any of the following:
Culprits
If I had to take a stab at it, I'd investigate these mods. But no time now - gotta go! Catch ya later :D
Give V5.3.1 I just posted a try and let me know if it is fixed.
OOPS, I forgot to remove some edits during testing and and the changes are actually currently commented out... :oops: Will update tonight.

Thanks.

Shrooblord
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shrooblord »

Something else seems to be a bit fishy. When I boot up a game, this is what my Alien Artifacts look like:

Something has messed up the graphics. I've also tried without the shown mod "Default Request Amount" installed. Same result. I'll do some testing to see if another one of my mods is causing a conflict and edit this post accordingly/leave a new reply.

EDIT:
Yep, this is what it looks like with only Natural Evolution (all three modules) installed:
It's still wonky.

Raught19
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Raught19 »

I thought I'd share my Alien Artifact production outpost I built :)

It creates about 16.5 artifacts per day. Which is pretty good :D

The construction bots repair the defenses and the turrets are for Oh shit moments to help reduce casualties for the worms.

I have the thumpers hooked up to only solar panels so they only work during the day and turn off at night so the worms have time to heal.

The train brings the artifacts to my main base for processing. and also brings in supplies to keep the outpost running smoothly :D
Picture

Raught19
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Raught19 »

Shrooblord wrote: Image
Thats very strange. What happens if you disable all mods?

Also try deleting your crop-cache.dat from your AppData\Roaming\Factorio it may be a bad cache.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Natural Evolution - All things Alien! - 5.3.2

Post by TheSAguy »

V5.3.2 All Modules:

Expansion: Arithmetic fix, now implemented. :)
Buildings: Alien Control Station now has range overly.
Enemies: Rail got resistances to all damage types. (from Vanilla and Bob's)
Raught19 wrote:
Shrooblord wrote: Image
Thats very strange. What happens if you disable all mods?

Also try deleting your crop-cache.dat from your AppData\Roaming\Factorio it may be a bad cache.
This is weird, let me know if the fix Raught19 suggested works.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Raught19 wrote:I thought I'd share my Alien Artifact production outpost I built :)

It creates about 16.5 artifacts per day. Which is pretty good :D

The construction bots repair the defenses and the turrets are for Oh shit moments to help reduce casualties for the worms.

I have the thumpers hooked up to only solar panels so they only work during the day and turn off at night so the worms have time to heal.

The train brings the artifacts to my main base for processing. and also brings in supplies to keep the outpost running smoothly :D
Picture
That's a very nice setup! I especially like how you have your gun turrets linked with inserters and not a belt.
I'm trying to figure out how to restock my outposts and need some ideas.
Like to see a save if you don't mind.

Raught19
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Raught19 »

Yeah I can do that in 12 hours. At work atm. The way I supply my outposts is by using a train that has its inventory restricted to only what it needs and then drops it off if the logistic system at the outpost needs items :)

Shrooblord
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shrooblord »

Raught19 wrote:Thats very strange. What happens if you disable all mods?
Without any mods, the Artifact looks like you'd expect.
Okay. The images are still messed up, but now differently:
pic
Tried with a fresh install of no mods and then the newest version of Natural Evolution [5.3.2] (I deleted the cache file again):
pic
With the new version and on my old save file and with all my other mods also active:
pic

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Shrooblord wrote:
pic
Tried with a fresh install of no mods and then the newest version of Natural Evolution [5.3.2] (I deleted the cache file again):
pic
With the new version and on my old save file and with all my other mods also active:
pic
I would recommend checking if picture in mod directory is correct.
If it is then it might mean that natural evolution gets your GPU near some limit and you would need to try some of graphics troubleshooting options from this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=9300

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Shrooblord wrote:
pic
pic
pic
Try using these graphic's for the artifacts. This file simply replaces what I'm using.
Attachments
Natural_Evolution_Enemies_5.3.2.zip
Graphics
(14.52 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

Shrooblord
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shrooblord »

Yes, that worked TheSAguy! Out of curiosity, what is different about these graphics as opposed to the ones provided in the original download of the mod?

Return to “Mods”