I've been working on a mod for a bit over a month and I feel it is time to let others try it and get feedback on balancing. The mod is intended for Freeplay, but also works in sandbox (with the one new building being non-functional).
Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/389 ... %20mod.zip
TroZ Mod has three basic features:
- 5 additional Science Packs, with most of the higher level researches using at least one of them
- Radars are now useful in freeplay, reporting on how many creepers are in the area. Additionally, there is a Tracking Station that predicts when the next attack will be, which becomes more accurate the more radars you have (up to 10)
- The Rocket Defense building is now much harder to build, requiring much more resources to build. (I envision it as a building with a bunch of rocket launchers with radars and tracking stations guiding the rockets)
I started off adding new science packs, because it seems strange to me that you would research advanced chemistry and accumulators and flying with basically the same materials. I came up with 5 new science pack types, and modified the requirements for various technologies to use them. The new science packs are:
- Chemistry Science Pack - 2 coal, 1 stone, 1 iron ore, 1 copper ore, gives 5 - used for chemistry research and some rocket research (rocket fuel composition)
- Military Science Pack - 1 submachine gun, 5 basic magazines, 1 iron plate, 1 basic inserter, gives 5 - used for military research (something like the inserter fires the gun at the plate to test different bullets and armors)
- Electronics Science Pack - 10 copper cable, 6 basic circuits, 5 iron plates and 2 lamps - enough to build some test circuits and maybe a transformer with the cables and iron and the lamps to indicate circuit output
- Rocketry Science Pack - 1 rocket launcher, 10 rockets, 1 radar, and 5 military science packs, gives 5 - rocket testing materials, using the inserter from the military pack to fire rockets at the iron plate, or using the radar to track their range / speed
- Vehicle Science Pack - 1 car, 1 fast transporter belt, 2 steel plate, 3 wood - only used for train research (if you already know about cars and trains, cars would be developed before trains, so I changed their research order), testing a car pulling a wood and steal cart compared to a fast transporter belt
Radar and Tracking Station
Radars were used in the last demo level, but currently aren't useful in the full game, so I gave them a use. I had this idea on my own, but then later saw this mod which also adds a use for radars. I didn't like how that mod worked, so I made my own version.
Radars when completing scanning a sector will report on how many creepers are in an area north, south, east or west of the radar. This is a bit helpful, but isn't really useful after 1 or 2 radars.
A tracking Station can be researched and built. This acts like a radar as well, but will also 'combine' its scans with the scans of the other radars and give an estimate of the time on the next attack, with an accuracy increasing the more radars you have, up to 10. The tracking station will also give an estimate of the size of the attack once it completes a scan with less than 30 seconds left until the attack. A warning will also be given when an attack is in progress (which may be after you see the creepers attack if you have a low number of radars). These messages will appear at the top left silently, but estimated attack sizes and attack warnings will also be displayed as print messages (like if you try to put a building in an invalid location).
The tracking station is intended to work as a goal for the mid-game, being somewhat resource intensive, but giving a good benefit. It takes a little more power than a radar to run, but gives the nice additional info. A tracking station with 10 radars (the amount needed for accurate reports) requires a good amount of electricity to keep running.
Due to the way the game works currently, tracking stations only work in freeplay, and will probably break in 0.7 due to upcoming changes in how creepers will attack according to some posts in these forums (but hopefully I'll be able to fix it up quickly). You can still build the tracking station in sandbox, but you won't get any reports.
The rocket defense was turned even more of a major end game project. It still needs about 5000 steel, but it now requires multiple radars, tracking stations, rocket launchers, rockets (2000!), logistics robots and logistics chests to store and load the rockets into the launchers, and overclocked computers (computers with 1 of each type of level 2 upgrade module) increasing the iron and copper needed significantly. Even with all these additional parts, I have made the rocket defense able to be built by an assembly machine by having the steel and other high amount parts built into a 'Rocket Defense Part' sub-assembly and then needing 50 of those in the final assembly step. Here is an image of a factory that I built that only produces Rocket Defense buildings:
There are many other changes. Some notable ones are:
- Cars and trains now share engine and axle parts (Car: 2 axles, 1 engine, Locomotive: 8 axles, 4 engines, Train wagon: 4 axles)
- Science labs need more power
- 2 new smaller chests made from stone and bricks
- Rockets need coal (for thrust)
- Green science packs need to be researched
- Burner inserters need 2 stone (to contain the fire)
- Coal can no longer be made from charcoal (only done by geologic processes in real life)
- Cookery output amount and fuel values modified to be closer to real life (total output of cooking now has less fuel value than the input, but each individual output item has more fuel value than an individual input item).
- Fields need a burner inserter to be build (something is planting and harvesting the trees, assumingly it runs on some of the wood it cuts)
- Fertilizer research needs Chemistry Science Packs
New science packs and Tracking Station:
Factory that makes all the science packs:
If you would like, please try out my mod, alone or with Treemod, and tell me what you think about, any balancing issues, or way it could be enhanced or how it could interact with other mods. I'm still working on this mod, and have a few more ideas that I may implement, but I think I have the biggest changes done.
I give permission for people to download and play this mod (obviously), but also to continue work on this mod if I don't respond to replies in this thread that ask for a response for over a month. I grant permission for others to mod this mod in their mods, as I did with Treemod (not that I can stop you, but I just wanted to specifically state that that was fine for separate mods to do). I also give permission for other mods to use parts of my mod (graphics and code) as long as they list me as a contributor to the resulting mod.