Bucket Wheel Excavator Development Thread[Hint edition...]

Topics and discussion about specific mods
jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Bucket Wheel Excavator Development Thread[Hint edition...]

Post by jorgenRe »

Development Thread
Follow up on this thread to see what is currently being worked on!

Do you dream of big machines?
If so then this is the mod for you!
(Blame Imgur for the darker picture :( (it has been brightened up a little bit) )

What is planned for next big release
Prob new tiers of machines
Maybe later:
Bigger machines for craftin(not too big as i would like it to be fairly well animated like the normal assemblers are. OR any suggestions that may arrive!

Hint hint...
With the click of a button, or when production is lacking....Let there be auto built stuff :O!
Attachments
BigDrill_0.1.0.zip
[Stable] (Though newer versions is in the main topic in the normal mods section)
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 312 times
Last edited by jorgenRe on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 69 times in total.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

darkshadow1809
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: WIP Bucket Wheel Excavator

Post by darkshadow1809 »

y no comments on this .-.

Dude this mod looks beautifull so far :D keep going man :) !
ShadowsModpackDevelopment

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

darkshadow1809 wrote:y no comments on this .-.

Dude this mod looks beautifull so far :D keep going man :) !
It is always nice to know that people are finding ones project to be looking good!

Edit: Moved the history part here because i could not get the spoilers to work :)
Update #1
The rough model is done! About to start creating the finer details :D!

update #2 - Getting some details!

Update #3
Max png size found ... Its 2048 pixels in either direction :(
So yea size had to be halved atleast this is how it looks like in game atm :) DOnt worry about the divided buckets, thats just some weird thing atm =/

Update #4
Video to see the first test in game in action :O Beware of glitchy movement!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFL0Z9dcdiQ
Not too bad if you consider the fact that it is the first time ive gotten a model in game :D!

Update #5
(model still to be worked on)

The animation isnt too bad now and honestly i think having it rotate 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees is a little bit better as for one the animation will be looking much better and secondly, more of those can be put together :D!
More importantly it will have its mining head more often on the same spots.
Now the next thing i will focus on is making the texture (more new things to learn)! And then i will begin the somewhat tedious part of testing the size of the collision box and such!

Update #6
:O Now its starting to be looking nice :D! (sorry about the lighting)
However that is without the finer details on the texture for the mainframe. Atleast i can say that both the model and texture for the mining head is done, or atleast for the moment!

If you have any suggestions on how you think the model would look better, then please let me know down in the comments, all feedback is apreciated :D!

Update #7
Now background is transparent again :D!
Tomorrow i will see about getting the model fully textured and possibly working in game as i plan to play factorio on wednesday, and well we need to expand our iron mining so yea, you probably understand why i'm working on this :D

Update #8
HOLY MOLY i think i might be able to finish it today as i just found out that i had the wrong canvas selected when doing the texture paint... OOPS X D

Update #9
(blame imgur for the bad lighting)
It is finally beginning to look beutiful, but wheres the shadow :o ?

Update #10
Isn't it beatiful :D!
Now it seems like i may trye and get it into the game and this time i won't screw it over by forgetting to keep a 1 pixel distance between each picture.
It would be greatly apreciated if someone knew a way to have a mining drill have multiple spritesheets, basically that the animation is spread over two or more spritesheets.

Update #11
With the bucket wheel excavator in game and with a working animation ( :D )
It seems like the somewhat boring and tedious part of the modding will have to start. Basically i need to sort out the correct collision and selection box before i can release the first version of the mod, though it will still be in the WIP section until i and others (those who wish) agrees upon a resonable mining speed :)

Update #12
It seems like the bucket excavator is doing so well that i'm now ready to put up the first release :D!
Something to note is that if you place two of them right next to each other there will be space for you to walk between them, and it will mine from all deposits from left side to right side, and don't worry about the back end of the excavator to hit you as it barely goes over you :o!

Now i do think that with the look of it somewhat done (it may be revisited later by me or any other person that may be a much better artist than i am :P )
I do believe the current size is actually not too bad, though i still can somewhat imagine having a world full of huge bucket wheel excavators mining away the crust of the planet :)
Last edited by jorgenRe on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logo

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

darkshadow1809 wrote:y no comments on this .-.
Because I work late :(

Totally awesome, I love it :) Can't wait to see it textured
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [WIP][0.11.22] Bucket Wheel Excavator 0.0.3 Better Animatio

Post by Xterminator »

This looks very promising! Please don't abandon this, as I really look forward to something like this and I am sure other people will too.
Any idea of when it might be out of WIP stage? :)
Image Image Image

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [WIP][0.11.22] Bucket Wheel Excavator 0.0.3 Better Animatio

Post by jorgenRe »

Xterminator wrote:This looks very promising! Please don't abandon this, as I really look forward to something like this and I am sure other people will too.
Any idea of when it might be out of WIP stage? :)
It will be out of WIP state as soon as ive fixed the shadow :)
Just had to take a "small" break and play multiplayer with my friend who just got Factorio :D!

I can add that during that break i had some ideas on what i would like to do. For example a faster way of emptying wagons for ore :) THough i think it may be requiring me to do some lua coding :geek:
But the result will be quite so nice since then all train stations will not look the same (that is if i manage to do it) :D!

Edit: I think i will be using a lua command to auto set filters to the different types of ore and state in its description that for realism, don't change the filter if you want it realistic, since who wants to handle their delicate processed stuff like ores :)
Logo

Return to “Mods”