[UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Post by Blu3wolf »

It is painful trying to make concrete blocks just by using the stone by-product from frothing copper dust. I cant even use the copper concentrate yet, but Im making loads of it in order to get the crushed stone I need to make concrete.

Im not sure if its intentional or not, but the forge has an icon that looks like a forge, and when placed instead looks completely different - like a modified science lab.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Crushed Stone is definitely a bug. I went through the code, and realized that when I removed the tech requirement for Crushers and the various ore crushing recipes, I never set just plain old Crushed Stone to be enabled (because its in the concrete file, and not the metallurgy one). Stone will be crushable in a Crusher (duh) before the real 4.1 release, and it will automatically migrate on your current saves.

Storing Red Mud is supposed to be annoying. Its annoying in real life! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_mud My advice is just to build a field of reservoirs for it.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Well - the offshore dump was a thematic suggestion, and one which has a significant tradeoff - its massive pollution output (duh).

Im going to be adding it to my games anyway, but I thought it was a fair suggestion, given that it gives you an option. Gameplay wise, options are good. And lets face it, in real life environmentalists are the reason red mud isnt just dumped wholesale into the nearest body of water, right?

no?

damn, well it was worth a shot :P

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Offshoredump has a slight bug, by reloding a save with build dumps, you have to break replace them, because the somtimes stop working.

But regardless, it makes no sense for a game to impelement something with no use damien.
I reallife we have no choise but to deal with it, but in a game it makes no sens whatsoever.
Please reconsider using that stuf ... hell what do i know pressing it into bricks?
Or something in that direction ;)

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

I think something is wrong with the electric furnaces in the alpha? I can't put anything into them and all the recipes are red.

EDIT: Okay, after I researched tin / lead, I saw a different set of recipes and I can make solder in it. Can we no long make iron-plates without a fuel burning furnace? If the electric furnace will not be meant for that anymore... I also have molten iron that I can only turn to steel and not iron plates?
Last edited by pib on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

With respect to red mud...I like the idea that i have to do something with it, but I wish the solution was better than to fill up a bunch of containers.... for me this mostly means coming through and deconstructing them every once in a while, which has no consequence because the red mud just vanishes. I think dump that may required energy to operate and emits high pollution is better in that regard.

I use the evaporators for that purpose for many types of gases and occasionally water. For evaporators, I don't really like that there is an output of 1/10 the input. Every time I have to feed the output back to the input... there doesn't seem to be a good reason for having to do that, especially when most of the time I am just venting gases.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

pib - I actually sent a message to the devs about that. I'd rather the evaporators just destroy the water with no output, but the game won't let you make a recipe with no outputs, it just returns an error saying 'you must have at least one output'. No reason for it at all really, as far as I can tell, they just didn't except people to want to design a recipe that destroys stuff. Especially because it supports making a recipe with no inputs, like the air condensers. Hopefully they change it, but I bet its a low priority with 0.12 going on.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

The tin plate recipe is buggy (it can't be made in the forge like is probably intended, and I suspect the ingredients are wrong).

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

pib wrote:I think something is wrong with the electric furnaces in the alpha? I can't put anything into them and all the recipes are red.

EDIT: Okay, after I researched tin / lead, I saw a different set of recipes and I can make solder in it. Can we no long make iron-plates without a fuel burning furnace? If the electric furnace will not be meant for that anymore... I also have molten iron that I can only turn to steel and not iron plates?
Im also currently hoping there is a way to make iron plates using a forge.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

Blu3wolf wrote:
pib wrote:Can we no long make iron-plates without a fuel burning furnace? If the electric furnace will not be meant for that anymore... I also have molten iron that I can only turn to steel and not iron plates?
For historical reasons we call high-quality iron by the name "steel".

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

db48x wrote:
Blu3wolf wrote:
pib wrote:Can we no long make iron-plates without a fuel burning furnace? If the electric furnace will not be meant for that anymore... I also have molten iron that I can only turn to steel and not iron plates?
And for gameplay reasons, I am not able to use high quality iron in the same recipes that normally use pig iron.

If the mod included a second recipe for everything, so that you could use steel in it instead of iron, then I would accept that. However I think a better option would just be the ability to turn molten iron into iron plates.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

+1 to Blu3wolf, this is a game play issue as well...

But It doesn't even matter anyway, as damienreave explained, O2 is required with molten iron to reduce the carbon content of the metal to make steel. Thus:

Forge(Molten Iron + O2) = Steel
Forge(Molten Iron) = Iron
Last edited by pib on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

pib wrote:The tin plate recipe is buggy (it can't be made in the forge like is probably intended, and I suspect the ingredients are wrong).
Yes, I noticed the same thing. Here's how I fixed it. First, I extracted the mod from its zip file, then edited prototypes/metallurgy.lua to change the forge-tin recipe prototype to this:

Code: Select all

{
    type = "recipe",
    name = "forge-tin",
    enabled = false,
    category = "forge",
    energy_required = 35,
    ingredients = {{type="fluid", name="molten-tin", amount=10}},
    result = "tin-plate",
    result_count = 10,
    subgroup = "raw-plates"
  },
Then, in the game I ran the command

/c game.forces.player.resetrecipes()
to reload the recipes from the prototypes.

BTW, fixing the crushed stone recipe is simpler:

/c game.forces.player.recipes["crushed-stone"].enabled = true
edit: fixed an error in the code for resetting the recipes.
Last edited by db48x on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

pib wrote:+1 to Blu3wolf, this is a game play issue as well...

But It doesn't even matter anyway, as damienreave explained, O2 is required with molten iron to reduce the carbon content of the metal to make steel. Thus:

Forge(Molten Iron + O2) = Steel
Forge(Molten Iron) = Iron
Hmm. Ill try that, but I couldnt see a forge recipe that allowed that.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

It doesn't work that way... I was responding to db48x
db48x wrote:
Blu3wolf wrote:
I was pointing out that the molten iron still needed extra steps to become "high quality", and so his comment didn't really provide a good explanation of what would happen if you were allowed to cool the molten steel material down directly into plates.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

pib wrote:I was pointing out that the molten iron still needed extra steps to become "high quality", and so his comment didn't really provide a good explanation of what would happen if you were allowed to cool the molten steel material down directly into plates.
True enough :)

I merely meant that there's a symmetry between low-quality copper (produced in smelters) and high-quality copper (produced in forges) on the one hand and iron (in smelters) and steel (in forges) on the other.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

I see :)

I found a problem with technology dependencies... The heat exchanger takes brass to make which is a problem because you won't be able to make brass without argon, because the zinc plate is made in a chemical plant.

Also, it is impossible to unlock the sulfuric acid recipe.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

This is just a balance thing, but I think tin and lead are used too much for the cost of acquiring them. Solder takes 4 lead + 6 tin to produce 5 solder, and then each advanced circuit (and processing unit) needs 2 solder. I suggest making the solder recipe give 10 solder, and reducing the requirement to 1 solder per circuit. Otherwise you have to process vast quantities of copper ore and store the concentrate.

You might also consider a hybrid solution with both subsidiary ore as well as (smaller) deposits of tin/lead/zinc/aluminum/etc. These are not exactly unknown here on Earth, after all.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

db48x wrote:
pib wrote:I was pointing out that the molten iron still needed extra steps to become "high quality", and so his comment didn't really provide a good explanation of what would happen if you were allowed to cool the molten steel material down directly into plates.
True enough :)

I merely meant that there's a symmetry between low-quality copper (produced in smelters) and high-quality copper (produced in forges) on the one hand and iron (in smelters) and steel (in forges) on the other.
Similar problem. Lots of things force me to use lower quality materials even when I have no reason to keep old outmoded lines open other than the fact that recipes wont let me use high quality versions of those materials.

I have craploads of high quality copper plates at the moment. I am trying to make rifle ammo as well - and have a shortage of low quality copper. Naturally of course I cant use high quality copper plate to make rifle ammo though, that would be ridiculous.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Blu3wolf - Look into making Advanced Rifle Magazines. They do more damage than the regular ones, and will consume high quality copper in the process rather than low.

Return to “Mods”