[UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Post by Blu3wolf »

damienreave wrote:Blu3wolf - Look into making Advanced Rifle Magazines. They do more damage than the regular ones, and will consume high quality copper in the process rather than low.
Dont know if I can make those yet. I dont have any level 2 science packs yet you see... and I dont think they can be made without tin (and I still havent worked out how to enable the tin recipe).

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

Blu3wolf wrote:Dont know if I can make those yet. I dont have any level 2 science packs yet you see... and I dont think they can be made without tin (and I still havent worked out how to enable the tin recipe).
How can I make the directions I gave clearer?

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

db48x wrote:
Blu3wolf wrote:Dont know if I can make those yet. I dont have any level 2 science packs yet you see... and I dont think they can be made without tin (and I still havent worked out how to enable the tin recipe).
They are likely clear enough. I should probably clarify that I also havent -tried- to enable the tin recipe yet.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

db48x wrote:
{
type = "recipe",
name = "forge-tin",
enabled = false,
category = "forge",
energy_required = 35,
ingredients = {{type="fluid", name="molten-tin", amount=10}},
result = "tin-plate",
result_count = 10,
subgroup = "raw-plates"
},
so how come the enabled flag is still false? Is that for something different?

EDIT: also, running the command /c game.resetrecipes() resulted in an error, about luagamescript not containing the key resetrecipes.

EDIT2: I got it to work using /c game.player.force.resetrecipes() instead. I can make tin now! I tried to enable crushed stone from the files in prototypes, without any luck so far. I guess the enabled true/false thing doesnt do what I thought it did.

EDIT3: okay, turns out it DID work enabling the crushed stone recipe, but as I am apparently dumb, I tested by trying to put crushed stone in the crusher, instead of uncrushed stone.... I blame it on the different icon!

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

Blu3wolf wrote:so how come the enabled flag is still false? Is that for something different?
This is a prototype for the recipe; it represents the state of the recipe at the beginning of a new game. Setting enabled to true here would thus make the recipe start out enabled, even before you had a crusher to use it in. The prototype is instantiated once per force, and then a tech will later enable the recipe changing the state of that force's instance of the recipe to enabled. (The biters count as a force but they they don't have tech or recipes.)

Modifying the prototype and then reloading a saved game won't affect the instances that have already been created, which is why you have to call resetrecipes.
Blu3wolf wrote: EDIT: also, running the command /c game.resetrecipes() resulted in an error, about luagamescript not containing the key resetrecipes.
Oops, you're right; I'll fix that in the original post.
Blu3wolf wrote:
EDIT2: I got it to work using /c game.player.force.resetrecipes() instead. I can make tin now! I tried to enable crushed stone from the files in prototypes, without any luck so far. I guess the enabled true/false thing doesnt do what I thought it did.
You could set enabled to true and then reset the recipes and this would give you access to crushed stone. However, it would also give you access to crushed stone without having to do the research when you next start a new game. The easiest thing to do is to change the state of the recipe while inside the game. The proper fix, of course, would be to change the prototype for the tech so that it will properly enable the crushed-stone recipe (and then to reset the techs), but I didn't take the time to figure out how to do that.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

db48x wrote:
Blu3wolf wrote:so how come the enabled flag is still false? Is that for something different?
This is a prototype for the recipe; it represents the state of the recipe at the beginning of a new game. Setting enabled to true here would thus make the recipe start out enabled, even before you had a crusher to use it in. The prototype is instantiated once per force, and then a tech will later enable the recipe changing the state of that force's instance of the recipe to enabled. (The biters count as a force but they they don't have tech or recipes.)

Modifying the prototype and then reloading a saved game won't affect the instances that have already been created, which is why you have to call resetrecipes.
Blu3wolf wrote: EDIT: also, running the command /c game.resetrecipes() resulted in an error, about luagamescript not containing the key resetrecipes.
Oops, you're right; I'll fix that in the original post.
Blu3wolf wrote:
You could set enabled to true and then reset the recipes and this would give you access to crushed stone. However, it would also give you access to crushed stone without having to do the research when you next start a new game. The easiest thing to do is to change the state of the recipe while inside the game. The proper fix, of course, would be to change the prototype for the tech so that it will properly enable the crushed-stone recipe (and then to reset the techs), but I didn't take the time to figure out how to do that.
would this work? for a new game, I mean?

EDIT: I should clarify that this is out of the technology.lua file.

Code: Select all

{
		type = "technology",
		name = "material-processing",
		icon = "__NARMod__/graphics/icons/technology/froth-flotation-unit.png",
		prerequisites= {"air-compressor"},
		unit =
			{
		count = 20,
		  ingredients = {{"science-pack-1", 1}},
		  time = 10,
		},
		effects =
		{
		  {
				type = "unlock-recipe",
				recipe = "basic-pump"
		  },
		  {
			type = "unlock-recipe",
			recipe = "froth-flotation-unit"
		  },
		  {
			type = "unlock-recipe",
			recipe = "iron-concentrate"
		  },
		  {
			type = "unlock-recipe",
			recipe = "copper-concentrate"
		  },

{
		type = "technology",
		name = "material-processing",
		icon = "__NARMod__/graphics/icons/technology/froth-flotation-unit.png",
		prerequisites= {"air-compressor"},
		unit =
			{
		count = 20,
		  ingredients = {{"science-pack-1", 1}},
		  time = 10,
		},
		effects =
		{
		  {
				type = "unlock-recipe",
				recipe = "basic-pump"
		  },
		  {
			type = "unlock-recipe",
			recipe = "froth-flotation-unit"
		  },
		  {
			type = "unlock-recipe",
			recipe = "iron-concentrate"
		  },
		  {
			type = "unlock-recipe",
			recipe = "copper-concentrate"
		  },
		{
			type = "unlock-recipe",
			recipe = "crushed-stone"
		  },

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

db48x wrote:
pib wrote:The tin plate recipe is buggy (it can't be made in the forge like is probably intended, and I suspect the ingredients are wrong).
Yes, I noticed the same thing. Here's how I fixed it. First, I extracted the mod from its zip file, then edited prototypes/metallurgy.lua to change the forge-tin recipe prototype to this:

{
    type = "recipe",
    name = "forge-tin",
    enabled = false,
    category = "forge",
    energy_required = 35,
    ingredients = {{type="fluid", name="molten-tin", amount=10}},
    result = "tin-plate",
    result_count = 10,
    subgroup = "raw-plates"
  },
Then, in the game I ran the command

/c game.forces.player.resetrecipes()
to reload the recipes from the prototypes.

BTW, fixing the crushed stone recipe is simpler:

/c game.forces.player.recipes["crushed-stone"].enabled = true
edit: fixed an error in the code for resetting the recipes.
So I was mistaken when I thought I had fixed the tin. I could make molten tin but not tin plates. Tin plates still says it is made in nothing for me.

I have this in the metallurgy.lua file:

-- TIN PLATE

{
    type = "recipe",
    name = "forge-tin",
    enabled = "false",
    category = "forge",
    energy_required = 35,
    ingredients =
    {
      {type="fluid", name="molten-tin", amount=10},
	  {type="item", name="coke", amount=3},
	  {type="item", name="limestone", amount=1},
    },
    results = 
    {
      {type="item", name="tin-plate", amount=10}
    }
  },

{
    type = "item",
    name = "tin-plate",
    icon = "__NARMod__/graphics/icons/plate/tin-plate.png",
    flags = {"goes-to-main-inventory"},
    subgroup = "raw-plates",
    order = "c-a-a[tin-plate]",
    stack_size = 50
  },
Not sure where the difference is...

EDIT: tried to run the following command /c game.forces.player.recipes["crushed-stone"].category = forge - however it said category was read only. How do I set the tin plate recipe to be made in a forge?

EDIT2: fixed it. I guess having the incorrect ingredients stuffed it up. Too many ingredients for a forge anyway I suppose. Removed the extra ingredients, that fixed it.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

The cokery can be rotated, but it uses the same graphic regardless of its orientation. The graphic does not rotate either, leading to overlapping graphics.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

I decided to change the mid sized electric-motor requirement in the heat-exchanger recipe to an air-compressor so that it can be made without sulfuric acid.

edit: but that doesn't really feel right, i just wasn't sure what to do to continue...
Last edited by pib on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Also thought Id just chime in and say how fun this mod is! Im really enjoying having to puzzle out new ways of doing things.

Nalshee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nalshee »

Hello,

i just noticed that you removed all the frames :(
I think they are annoing but realistic because every building need a basis. Bring the frames back :D

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

bauxite-concentrate is missing a name string and there is no research to unlock the recipe.

Aluminium processing is also missing the pressure-vessel recipe unlock.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

What are the thoughts on making it possible to forge low quality copper plates from molten copper, skipping the electrolyzer? similarly, the option to forge iron plates from molten iron, skipping the oxygen?

EDIT: and does the electric furnace have a purpose other than making solder?

EDIT2: Starting to notice that when I research certain items, the order for recipes gets moved around slightly. For instance, I had the advanced circuits being displayed in front of the basic ones for a while. Now that I have researched electric distribution, they are back to their correct order of basic>advanced - but now the science packs are moved around in the same order.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

Nalshee wrote:Hello,

i just noticed that you removed all the frames :(
I think they are annoing but realistic because every building need a basis. Bring the frames back :D
I didn't mind them either. Perhaps call them "foundations" instead?

Nihth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nihth »

Is this mod multiplayer compatible?
When I join a friends game Im instantly welcomed by a "Migrated content" error listing lava-600 13 and lava-1400 3.
When I hit OK I get a desync message, then it redownloads the map and the migrated content thing pops back up.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

I played it multiplayer a couple of versions ago and it worked fine, but haven't tried it lately. Lava-600 and Lava-1400 I believe are associated with DyTech, not this mod.

brab
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brab »

I've been trying NARMod, looking for something more challenging than vanilla Factorio, and I'm having loads of fun. I really enjoy the pace, where every bit of automation counts. Thanks a lot for doing this!

AlphaIndx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AlphaIndx »

I enjoy it as well, though I have already found my first bug.

1. There is an error in the research chain that will not let you advance more than a couple of technologies into the green tier research due to the research tree "looping" so to speak. I solved the problem by unlocking Zinc-and-brass-processing through the lua commands - which solved the "knot" / "loop"

bodito
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bodito »

Thanks for this wonderful mod. Been lurking the mod forums for a long time now and I really wanted a truly realistic mod. I cannot thank you enough for your work on this. I love it (despite taking ~10 hours to get turrets up). [Note: 1st playthrough, so slower and I'm still running 2.x]

You mentioned adding 'subsidiary ore' to copper/iron/etc. but that you weren't sure if that was the correct name. I worked in a chemistry lab and we always called the secondary elements 'trace elements' (was dealing with ppm/ppb quantities though). While 10% is obviously not the same scale-wise (to ppm), I think that that could get the same point across.

brab
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by brab »

AlphaIndx wrote:I enjoy it as well, though I have already found my first bug.

1. There is an error in the research chain that will not let you advance more than a couple of technologies into the green tier research due to the research tree "looping" so to speak. I solved the problem by unlocking Zinc-and-brass-processing through the lua commands - which solved the "knot" / "loop"
I just encountered this issue, and I changed the prototypes/technology.lua file (line 1417) such that zinc and brass requires tin-and-lead-processing instead of sulfur-processing. I tested it by starting a new game and it works, I need to find how to apply this change to an existing game.

Edit: to apply the change, open the console and type

/c game.player.force.resettechnologies()

Return to “Mods”