[Mod 1.1] Memory cards - physical signal storage

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[Mod 1.1] Memory cards - physical signal storage

Post by Plop and run »

This mod adds a memory card, like a real life usb stick, that can store any circuit network data. The mod is in development still and the graphics are placeholders, but all of the functionality is there and already it is useful.

This allows to store multiple values for the same signal and iterate over them, that is something I've been missing very much when working with circuit networks.
Train stations can now send a train with custom requests to a bulk provider stations.
Spaceships in Space Exploration can do the same, plus store their destinations on memory cards to perhaps plan a more complex route, not just A to B and back.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/memory-cards

I could not find a mod like this, but the idea is very simple so maybe I did not look hard enough.
Black blood of the factory

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Mod 1.1] Memory cards - physical signal storage

Post by Stringweasel »

I love the graphic for the Signal Writer! Very innovative way of using existing sprites.

What the main use case for this mod in your opinion? Maybe having multiple desinations for SE spaceships without having to to build memory cells?
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Plop and run »

The idea came because of the spaceships, yes, but I think this is also useful in vanilla and with other mods basically whenever you need memory cells or need to send a signal long distances.

For example, there is no easy way to store multiple values for the same signal and cycle over them. In vanilla it is probably not very useful, but in modded this problem happens a lot.

In vanilla you can set up a distributed base that has one station that requests all input resources (like iron gears, circuits, and others) instead of having lots of stations each for one type of resources. There are mods like SmartTrains that allow you to change the train schedule dynamically with the circuit network, so that's a do-it-yourself LTN.

Mods like Ghost Scanner can read ghost requests from the logistic network, so outposts can request their building materials directly from the mall by trains.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/disk

DISK is same concept. But both read and write in the same machine, which is superior since it means that you can interact with it in solid state without inserters between each read and write operation. It is limited to 512 "frames" (addresses), which is a lot less of course.

Can your mod store a complete set of signals on each address, or is it just one signal type at a time with different values on each address?

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Plop and run »

what do you mean by an address?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Plop and run wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:58 pm
what do you mean by an address?
With RAM you specify the address to read from and write to. Does your memory not have random access?

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Plop and run »

Nah, it is just one snapshot of the whole network, not even separated by wires.

I understand why you think DISK is superior, because you can do everything that my mod does plus more (just don't use layers and don't change read/write modes of the machines), but I like the simplicity of memory cards, and I wouldn't have it their way. First of all, it is more intuitive to work with (you don't need to learn how to read and write different layers), and also I like that some logic is moved from digital to physical world. I think that the circuit logic could benefit greatly from this.

For example, to loop over your layers in DISK you would probably have a counter circuit that iterates over some index, another circuit that remembers the number of layers, and a whole blueprint to delete a layer from the middle. With memory cards you would have each layer on a separate memory card, so to make a cycle you would make a literal cycle with a conveyor belt. Yes, you can do the same with disks instead of memory cards, but then what is the point of those other features?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

I was deceived by this:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/memory-cards wrote:Unlimited signal storage
So I'm allowed to craft an unlimited amount of them to hold unlimited data...

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Plop and run »

Ah, buy that I mean that you are not limited by the number of different signals, like the constant combinator stores only 20 signals.

Is it deceptive? I can edit it if you suggest a better wording.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Plop and run wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:10 pm
First of all, it is more intuitive to work with (you don't need to learn how to read and write different layers), and also I like that some logic is moved from digital to physical world. I think that the circuit logic could benefit greatly from this.
Wouldn't benefit in speed or size though. And makes it a lot harder once you master circuits completely. But I'm not the target audience so I will refrain from trying to convince you.

Are there any other reasons than belt and inserter mechanisms being familiar and visual for your preference of physical mechanical circuits? And is there anything to it other than you think it is easier?
Plop and run wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:10 pm
For example, to loop over your layers in DISK you would probably have a counter circuit that iterates over some index, another circuit that remembers the number of layers, and a whole blueprint to delete a layer from the middle. With memory cards you would have each layer on a separate memory card, so to make a cycle you would make a literal cycle with a conveyor belt.
The circuit version would be more powerful, smaller, faster and easier to me. And more reliable since timing delays would become completely predictable and shorter.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Plop and run wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:51 pm
Is it deceptive? I can edit it if you suggest a better wording.
I would say something like "Can store values for all signal types at once, unlike a combinator which can output only 20 signal types." Or just the first part if you want it short in the bullet point list.

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Plop and run »

I've added a compatibility with Ultracube, if anyone is interested. With Ultracube memory cards do not require plastic.

Return to “Mods”