Zisteau has picked up factorio

Discussion related to promoting Factorio.
Krontaur
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Zisteau has picked up factorio

Post by Krontaur »

cockroach :'( and I was just starting to like you!
You know its the law that people like me from south of the border
and cockroaches can't be friends haha! :lol:

But really keep up the good work on the vids man. :D

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Krontaur wrote:cockroach :'( and I was just starting to like you!
You know its the law that people like me from south of the border
A gum sucker! Just wonderful! You know, I could see eye to eye with a banana bender because they at least support a real code of footy. Not that mutant game where you get points if you miss.

Krontaur
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Krontaur »

crikey the lingo is gonna start confusing our international friends.
I follow cricket, a gentlemen's game :P Besides doesn't the melbourne NRL team
do consistently well... :D

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Krontaur wrote:crikey the lingo is gonna start confusing our international friends.
I follow cricket, a gentlemen's game :P Besides doesn't the melbourne NRL team
do consistently well... :D
crikey? thats the best you got? I would have went with "streuth"! Our international friends will just have to get on the hop and jump onto urban dictionary to translate.

and that's only because they rort the salary cap.

Krontaur
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Krontaur »

Bloody Oath keep that language down or the sheila's are gonna riot and scare all the jumbucks
to the other side of the black stump, you of all people should know thats drop bear country!

ShneekeyTheLost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

-root wrote:
Skybox_ wrote: He just uploaded his his "Main Bus" video. That system he has created will most defiantly surpass "run of the mill" by all means except efficiency.
His idea has already been done

Admittedly, the above isn't as pretty but nothing Z has done yet breaks the mould. We live with baited breath though, from what I can see in his MC videos, he's a tad unpredictable. Also, he kicked the shite out of those biters. At that tech level, that was some really good work.
There are a couple of simple but fundamental differences that makes Z's iteration a whole different paradigm...

In Z's build, instead of a whole bus of EVERYTHING with a ton of space between everything, you have all of your basic necessary materials running down the MIDDLE, on a single axis, with all the production splitting off on the perpendicular axis. This gives you a ton of expansion capability as you can expand production off of your main resource bus as far as terrain permits. This gives you a far shorter production to end result timing because everything is flowing in one direction, adding channels for sub-combines en-route. This is a far more efficient means of getting this sort of thing set up properly.

He also has 'pure' belts, meaning no mixed materials down the main lines, and everything is properly doubled up for maximum belt capacity. He doesn't mix the streams until he gets to a production area that requires them. By using splitters in the way he uses them, he avoids many of the problems the linked build has.

It's also set up to be 'train ready' because all the inputs funnel in to a single place, which would be the ideal location for a train station, which the linked bus system doesn't do.

So, tl;dr version: He built it more compact, with fewer unnecessary ingredients being belted around, and more expansion capability.

Ultimately, logistics robots does make it rather obsolete, yes, but the way Z set his up is a lot better than the one that was originally linked. In addition, he fully and freely admits it is not the most efficient way of doing things, and that it was at least in part built to look nice for video recording purposes.

I was actually directed to Factorio from this guy, although I found Z's video pretty soon. I also found Arumba's series. I'm probably going to drop down the money for the game, because it is playable as it currently is, so if for whatever reason development stops, I won't feel 'cheated' because I'm paying for the game as it currently stands, not as it will eventually be. That will just be 'return on investment'. I'm actually really tempted to go whole-hog on the highest tier of purchase just to support the game, because it really is an amazing concept that is elegantly implemented, and I always like to support indie game developers because they tend to produce better products than the larger companies do these days.

One of my core strengths in my 'day job' is feature documentation. I used this when I was involved with Minecraft by writing mod guides and contributing to wikis and such. Those familiar with the FTB forums may recognize my handle. Since Mojang got purchased by M$, my interest in contributing to Minecraft dropped to somewhere around a halving algorithm run an arbitrary number of times... it doesn't quite reach zero, but it requires so many significant digits to parse the number that it might as well be. I've been looking for a new time-waster, and i think I may have found it. I offer my services to mod authors to write documentation and guides for their mods. Once I get more familiar with the game, I may take a stab at modding myself, depending on how it is done.

oppernaR
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by oppernaR »

DISCLAIMER: Zisteau fanboy here.

I think that practicality and efficiency indeed isn't the main concern, it's making things grandiose and entertaining.
Having said that, I just finished watching episode 8 and have to admit the main bus idea works much better than anything I've whipped up so far. Also there's usually a plan down the line and I'm fairly sure things have been thought out further ahead than immediately apparent.
The main appeal to me isn't from a tutorial perspective though, it's the ADD/OCD persona and complete insanity involved in taking on massive tasks and for example the way he cleared out a colony of bugs in episode 7 that would have made me crap my pants and start a new map.

BrinCaspian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BrinCaspian »

oppernaR wrote:DISCLAIMER: Zisteau fanboy here.
for example the way he cleared out a colony of bugs in episode 7 that would have made me crap my pants and start a new map.
Since I rushed Laser Turrets to avoid having to automate ammo production and distribution, I've been yelling at my screen every time Zisteau avoided the worms. He has the tech to take them out, but didn't realize it. Thankfully, having just finished watching Episode 9, I don't have to do that anymore!

Arbiter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arbiter »

I actually originally tried Factorio because of Xisumavoid's videos ( https://www.youtube.com/user/xisumavoid ) a while ago..
It didn't have quite enough to hook me, but when I saw Zisteau's video I thought I'd give it another try, with all the new stuff.
Not surprisingly I now own Factorio.. or It owns me, not sure yet.

-Arb

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

look at this one http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... Oz08w-F_2U yes back in 8.0 the same lay out and I think beater. :)

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Lee_newsum wrote:look at this one http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... Oz08w-F_2U yes back in 8.0 the same lay out and I think beater. :)
Oh Shi-, Inzania?! I remember watching that way back when I first started playing :lol:
Arbiter wrote:...or It owns me, not sure yet.

-Arb
Welcome to the community Arb. Definitely the later. I found Xisuma because of minecraft videos, it was only random happenstance that someone pointed out that he played factorio previously! Its pretty cool though, there are tons more people playing the game nowadays. To list a few:
  • OfficialStuffPlus
    Arumba
    Shenryyr
    Kailvin
    Zisteau
    XisumaVoid
And thats just the big ones I can think of off the top of my head!

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I have officially heard of none of these.

Pardon the rock, I bring it everywhere.
It's very comfy under there. ;)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

They're not the most well known bunch. But between them, we're probably talking roughly 1 mil subs.

That's not including Nerd cubed or any of those randoms that have played it.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yeah it's really quite cool that some of these big names are doing videos for the game. I would love to see Factorio grow much as possible, and this definitely helps. :D
Image Image Image

Mini-Me
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mini-Me »

I really enjoyed watching Zisteau's videos. They made me so interested in the game I went ahead and bought it. So, thank him for bringing me here, I guess :D.

Currently in his "Linear Factorio" playthrough he found something he thinks is a bug (Episode 10, at 20:51):
http://youtu.be/K5tSvdp0Rcw?t=20m52s
His map is 20 units tall and infinitively wide. He has a few dozen steam engines that should be all connected to one big power network. Now he looks at different power poles going further east, and notices his engine count going down, with the eastmost pole he looks at only showing 1 engine - as if the game loses track about a power network connection with him being far away.
Looking close at the footage though it looks like he just placed the poles too far apart. So it's probably just correct separate power networks. In the confusing tight mess he must be missing that :D.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

He's got 40 engines built, and at least three separate power networks. (Simple fast counting would have illuminated this...)
Hope this guy doesn't do his own taxes.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

Watched it too and that annoyed the hell out of me. I honestly like his series but that makes it look like he's one of those people who don't even pause to consider a mistake on their own part before assuming they found a bug. Especially the “I guess nobody else has done X before” part…
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Gandalf wrote:Watched it too and that annoyed the hell out of me. I honestly like his series but that makes it look like he's one of those people who don't even pause to consider a mistake on their own part before assuming they found a bug. Especially the “I guess nobody else has done X before” part…
In Zisteau's defense, when he realizes he was just being stupid and there was no bug, he says so. Also, consider that his main emphasis is making entertaining videos -- it is how he makes a living. So if he wasn't busy trying to narrate what he was doing, the odds are he would figure out that the problem was his, before blaming the game. *shrug* Anyway... +1 for buying this game because of Zisteau.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

It's also not entirely unreasonable to speculate that something odd occuring might be a bug, given that the game being played is an EA game.

Return to “Spread the Word”