[Mod Portal] [Ingame Portal] License Tab/Info

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
necrogami
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Mod Portal] [Ingame Portal] License Tab/Info

Post by necrogami »

With the addition of the license of the Industrial revolution mod I am requesting a tab be added to the mod portal to be able to see LICENSE or license.txt files inside zips from the mod portal page. Pack makers, content creators and others can be caught up by restrictive licenses and this helps prevent problems.
Last edited by necrogami on Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: License Tab for mod portal

Post by Deadlock989 »

+1. As someone using a custom license for the first time, despite a lot of previous mod portal experience, I found the mod portal's custom license feature extremely difficult and confusing.

It asks you to provide a description for the license - I thought that should rightly be an actual copy of the license. But when I go back to the license in "My licenses" and click through to it, the description has been erased. Adding it again and looking at it again - it's still blank. The description isn't stored and there's no way for anyone else to access it anyway.

It also asks me to provide a link, and makes that field compulsory. Not sure why I need to provide a link to an external copy of the license when it's inside the mod file and there's a giant text box marked "Description" that it could go into. To get around this last minute hurdle, I just linked the license to the mod's portal page itself.

Got no time to be dicking around with legalese when there's lasers to be shooting at people.

necrogami
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: License Tab for mod portal

Post by necrogami »

Also as another note. There's 0 mention of licenses inside factorio ingame mod portal. This could cause issues should anyone try enforcing licensing.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Mod Portal] [Ingame Portal] License Tab/Info

Post by eradicator »

+1 for mod portal website support.

I made a seperate request for in-game support of license.txt here.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”