Mod script bugs and other

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Goratricks
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Mod script bugs and other

Post by Goratricks »

Hello,

i know i am new to the forum, but i am not new to the game.

In my opionion it would make many senses to ignore any scripted/moded/improved lua files or whatever ( i have no idea of the current technical status of mods right now) as long as the game is starting.
I might not know about modding Factorio but programming in general is not that much of a secret. I am a steam user, i know, but i don't care, i still found this gem and want to enjoy it.

Most Mod Programmers take not the least care, it took me 4 hours today to get back a working version of the game on my computer, because you are incompetent. I know this is harsh, but you were not aware
of your responsibilites here. Anyway thank you for your efforts. Now back to the developer, how about the game launching and ignoring any non-vanilla content ? Not working, engine not ready ? Well make the engine simply restart after installing mods, nobody would mind, thats normal. And protects people from a major hassle because you integrated mods into the base of the game, so anything that does not work because of incompetence of Modders, keeps them from enjoying your game. The Game, for no reason, accepts changes to its most core defines and inits. I know this is very appealing to modders, but keep the above in mind, they wished they were as good as you are, they wished to create an original game, like you did, but they did not. So please make your game bootable, no matter what changes some alzheimer modder made forgetting to add some file his scripts rerfered to.

Mods have killed my Game seriously, it took me quite some time to delete all leftovers. I know you put lots of effort in creating them, but you failed and a warning is nothing that keeps people from using them, just keeps them, well, warned. They still will have to manage the cleanup all on their own, so your warning is for the trash bin. It might even fall back on the game, so great job you damaged the game you wanted people to like even more.

Basically i would appreciate the developers to establish some core that allows us to boot the game without any mods, any time, to use the in Game Mod Manager, which is most likely a good repelant, to keep incompetent Mod Makers at bay. So i can at least uninstall their BS.

I know this sounds hard for Mod makers, but it is partially a structural problem. Don't let imbeciles mess with your code ;)

-DM_

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod script bugs and other

Post by aubergine18 »

If there's one thing I know for sure about the devs, they are extremely competent at what they do. Sure, there are issues with the mod system at present - but that's due to not enough hours in the day rather than lack of skill and expertise. Their decision making, support, development cycle, etc., are orders of magnitude better than most other games (or any other software for that matter) I've encountered. When they get round to the next round of updates to mod management system, it will be good. Just be patient.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Goratricks wrote:Hello,
Most Mod Programmers take not the least care, it took me 4 hours today to get back a working version of the game on my computer, because you are incompetent.
Goratricks wrote:4 hours today to get back a working version
Talk about incompetence :P
Goratricks wrote: I know this is harsh, but you were not aware of your responsibilites here.
There's no such thing, pretty much every licence states explicitly, that no liabilities whatsoever are applied to the creator of the mod. The game itself is released on similar conditions.
Goratricks wrote:warning is nothing that keeps people from using them, just keeps them, well, warned
Well, your ability to purchase game implies that you're a being capable of conducting decisions on your own. You are given the information about what may happen if you use the mod.
It sounds weird that you put blame on someone else for your own choices.

You do have the ability to launch game without the mods, you just edit 'mod-list.json' in the 'factorio/mods/'. You can also delete bugged mods from that folder. If you require the graphical interface, there's a bunch of mod managers laying around at the forums, though they are subject to same licences as above, be advised.

I do not object to having built-in prelaunch mod manager, and I believe there's been a talk about this somewhere in developer messages. But if you want to express support to that idea, consider a more docile message somewhere in this list of threads.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The game is alpha.
Incompetence is when someone uses unfinished things as if they are finished and to make himself a lot of work instead of asking for help and to blame others for that instead for himself. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”