author naming his mods 00xxxxx ...

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: author naming his mods 00xxxxx ...

Post by mophydeen »

binbinhfr wrote:
2) I used that name in mmod before so dont go cry about your mod or my mod's naming
Well, Before writing this thread, I search on the forum and did not find any previous reference to "afraid IN the dark", so it could not direct me to your mmod either.
Your portal name "sl" is also different from you forum name. That's why I miss-concluded. Your Mmod was effectively making this player light change.
But anyway, in your renaming/splitting process, it would be great if you could choose another name that would avoid misunderstanding by mod users.
In the first version of mmod was the sentence used inside the codebase. This release was in november 2015. 4 months before you created your account (february 2016)

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Naming your mods 00xxx will probably conduct to a bunch of guys that will publish 00000xxx mod to appear first in the ingame list... ;)
And the mod list will soon become unreadable
That's why it is not a so good idea IMHO.
mophydeen wrote:In the first version of mmod was the sentence used inside the codebase. This release was in november 2015. 4 months before you created your account (february 2016)
You are right, now that I downloaded your mod, I see that you have a comment in your code with "afraid in the dark". As I told you, all these strange clues lead me to a bad conclusion.

Anyway, as I published this name "afraid of the dark" for a few monthes now (I swear I never look in your mod's code comments before :-) ), I still think it would be nice if you could change the name you just published 17 hours ago. I just think it would be good for both mods to avoid users misspelling.

Now, if you don't want, I won't go further. ;)
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

mophydeen wrote:
Klonan wrote:I have corrected his mod names, thanks for the notice
Adil wrote:Also, it occurred to me that there's no rules and terms of service mentioned there. Not when uploading the mod, neither for when using it as a communication platform.
It uses the same TOS as our website, but i will work on an update to reflect the new services

The double zero series is part of my split up MMod. Because some people wanted only a part of mmod

1) why is my name changed? no rules prohibits this ....
2) I used that name in mmod before so dont go cry about your mod or my mod's naming

let me know if I can continue splitting up mmod or I should stop and just remove all MODS. If only there was an option somewhere.
I don't see why the 00 is necessary, and i know its not prohibited and we generally allow any mod name, but in this case i don't why you can't name them without the 00 prefix in the info.json, and i do think while you name your mods in good faith, others might see it as permission to name there mods in a way that exploits the alphabetical listing, such as "0000 My great axe mod"

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

I think that both the servers and mods should be sorted by popularity, not alphabetically. I'm fed up of servers called "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!myprivateserver"
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

Just as an information: There are currently 33 servers with at least one "!" in the beginning of their name.
Former moderator.

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

Kajanor wrote:Just as an information: There are currently 33 servers with at least one "!" in the beginning of their name.
Hehe :D OK! Well order servers by people playing then.
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

Jonathan88 wrote:I think that both the servers and mods should be sorted by popularity, not alphabetically. I'm fed up of servers called "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!myprivateserver"
please do this.

todo:
- build better gui (some steam games had server list implemented with filters and sorts decades ago ...)
- If it is not allowed according to some unknown rule ... Warn me before submitting it ... again better gui.
- don't edit my modname: if the author chooses a name don't rename it after there backs .... It is all under MIT, publish your own version. Don't edit mine.
- add the possibility to remove/withdraw my mod from your site
- add the alpha label to the mod portal, it's buggy.

jm2c

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Rather than sorting the mods according to their names or popularity by default, I would suggest sorting them by last update by default.
This way, some not-so-popular but interesting mods can also get into the first page when they are updated.
It makes sure the author has really made effort to improve it so it deserves to be there.

[Solved] And yes, the mod portal is quite unstable, and please allow me to bring an off-topic subject here because it is quite urgent: viewtopic.php?f=189&t=28539
Last edited by Mooncat on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MtnDew
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MtnDew »

After reading this whole thread, I came to the same conclusion as you Mooncat. Sort by last update, it is the first thing that I always do when i go there anyways.

nonstickfrypan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nonstickfrypan »

If it's a problem (and it does seem to be something that will probably be abused) then the solution is simple and would take maybe 30 seconds to change how mods are sorted alphabetically (just do a normal sort but skip any leading characters that are not [a-z][A-z]). Of course this will lead to hundreds of mods name AAAAAAAAmyfantasticmod, just like the telephone book (remember those?) Could fix again by ignoring leading characters that repeat.

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

nonstickfrypan wrote: Could fix again by ignoring leading characters that repeat.
ABABABABABsolutely Awesome Axe Mod

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”