Increase 144x144 cap on mod portal thumbnails

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Increase 144x144 cap on mod portal thumbnails

Post by Deadlock989 »

By default, a mod's thumbnail.png is supposed to be 144x144, but it can be any size. If you supply a 288x288 (double resolution) one, it is displayed correctly at full resolution in the game's mod manager GUI if you are running 200% interface size (which is the default scale on the auto setting for 4K resolution).

However when a mod is uploaded to the portal, it seems that the thumbnail.png is extracted and then downsampled to 144x144 for display on the mod portal listings. If you are running a relatively high resolution monitor and have your default browser zoom increased (some of us have to do this because our eyes are not what they once were), the resulting images are fuzzy and unattractive compared to the rest of the graphics on the page.

Suggest capping the downsample to 288x288 instead.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Increase 144x144 cap on mod portal thumbnails

Post by Deadlock989 »

This appears to have been actioned, either since I posted the above or at some point in the last month, which was the previous time I uploaded a mod. I uploaded a mod yesterday and the mod portal uses the 288x288 thumbnail, and I can see that a couple of others uploaded on the same day also do the same, but can't immediately spot any going back further than that. Thanks for that.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Increase 144x144 cap on mod portal thumbnails

Post by Klonan »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:20 pm
This appears to have been actioned, either since I posted the above or at some point in the last month, which was the previous time I uploaded a mod. I uploaded a mod yesterday and the mod portal uses the 288x288 thumbnail, and I can see that a couple of others uploaded on the same day also do the same, but can't immediately spot any going back further than that. Thanks for that.
Yes, thank you for the suggestion, I didn't know the mod portal was scaling them like this so we changed it

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”