Improving the Mod Portal Search

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Improving the Mod Portal Search

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

The new search should replace all the other panels in my opinion: instead of having the trending &c. icons below "explore", just replace the icons above with various ways to sort your search using the current explore interface.

New Search Mockup mods.factorio.png
New Search Mockup mods.factorio.png (111.09 KiB) Viewed 654 times
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

Right now I'm having an issue where the sort features don't seem to work as expected. I've attached a few pictures where I've tried to sort the portal by different options and the results remain displayed in the same order. Is there a bug here?
Attachments
Mod Portal Relevance.png
Mod Portal Relevance.png (173.65 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Mod Portal Recently Updated.png
Mod Portal Recently Updated.png (174.08 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Mod Portal Downloads.png
Mod Portal Downloads.png (218.19 KiB) Viewed 316 times

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by vinzenz »

Nemoricus wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:18 pm
Right now I'm having an issue where the sort features don't seem to work as expected. I've attached a few pictures where I've tried to sort the portal by different options and the results remain displayed in the same order. Is there a bug here?
Sorry for the late response, I'm just now getting back to mod portal work.

The ranking of search results gives the highest priority to matching your query terms. As soon as you have more than one word in your query this likely outweighs the sort order for the first page of results. For Downloads, Recently updated and Trending we use the default ranking described here: https://www.meilisearch.com/docs/learn/ ... /relevancy

For Relevance we use this ranking

Code: Select all

["exactness", "words", "typo", "proximity", "attribute", "sort", "downloads_count:desc"]

How would you expect the sort order to work when using longer queries like "Resource Marker". E.g. when sorting by "Recently updated" would you prefer to have results without the word "Marker" ranked higher if they have a more recent update than results that match both words but are older? Currently sort order is more like a tie breaker between similar ranking results.
bringing the oops to devops

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

vinzenz wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:19 am
How would you expect the sort order to work when using longer queries like "Resource Marker". E.g. when sorting by "Recently updated" would you prefer to have results without the word "Marker" ranked higher if they have a more recent update than results that match both words but are older? Currently sort order is more like a tie breaker between similar ranking results.
I would expect the sorting to prioritize on the option I chose. IE, if I am sorting by update date, the one with the most recent update date comes first, period. This is particularly important when I am specifically looking for recently updated mods, or if I'm looking to see which one is most popular based on download count.

Having relevance get priority over the search option I chose is confusing and gets in the way of searching based on the criteria I'm actually interested in. Especially since "Relevance" is itself a search option, and if I've chosen a different option, it's because I don't think "Relevance" is the option that best serves my needs at that time.

It'd be nice if I could prioritize those criteria individually, but as it is, there's just the set search options.

_CodeGreen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by _CodeGreen »

It's almost impossible to search for multiple words at once currently, for the example "Resource Marker" I would want both of those words to have the same priority in a match, so if something was most recently updated that had just the word "resource", that would show up first, and then if the second most recently updated thing had just the word "marker" I would want to see that second. We already have the relevance tab to get results that are *most* relevant to our queries, recently updated and downloads should focus more on their respective sort orders rather than result relevance. Also: As previously mentioned in this thread, I think it's time for the different tabs to be merged into one tab since the Explore tab covers all of it now (besides highlighted mods).
My Mods | If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”